be on the look out for Junior Gellate (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck man

not so ******
Reaction score
i've been hearing great things about this guy from the Saints. they say, although he hasn't put the pads on yet his speed and agility is present and he may be able to work his way intot he rotation at DE with a good camp.

without pads there is no way to know

mcrays cut had nothing to do with this guy ...

but lets hope he can perform

No doubt this had a factor in the cutting of McCray. Sure it was about the roster bonus but the Saints clearly see something in this guy. I won't say "another gem found by the Saints" just yet, but he seems to have all potential in the world to be another one of those players.

JUNNNEEYAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

without pads there is no way to know

mcrays cut had nothing to do with this guy ...

but lets hope he can perform

I think it is fair to take what truck man has to say with a grain of salt, not out of disrespect or even disbelief but just as a way to take a sensible approach to the speculation and as not to get too overly excited about the news of Galette possibly making an impact.

That said, you brought up McCray. The previous two posters did not mention his name or say that McCray was cut because of Junior. I know there was that "other" thread where the speculation was that, perhaps, Galette made McCray expendable, and maybe you were responding to it. But in this case, I think the OP only suggested through his alleged "sources" that the team seems high on Galette. I say this not as a line of attack against you but to hopefully prevent this becoming a thread about whether or not Junior's alleged emergence precipitated McCray's release rather than what the OP had purposed for this thread.

Also, I think you are right to suggest that "without pads there is no way to know." However, even without pads and tackling involved, there are some things you can evaluate. For instance, you can evaluate how quickly a guy gets off the ball, how he uses his hands, his change of direction, and/or his pursuit to the ball. Specifically, you can scrutinize a edge rusher's repetoire of moves, that is, if he has any, or his ability to disengage blockers and move down the line of scrimmage toward a ball carrier or the quarterback. Even more, you can begin to measure a player's athleticism, agility and fluidity. How well does he move his hips? How fast is he, albeit in shorts? Now, until you get into live tackling, you have to sort of temper your optimism. But there are some things that can give you a glimpse of what a player should be or how his performance should translate into pads and live tackling situations.

Count me in the "Junior Fan Club." I know it's early, and TC hasn't started yet, but I still believe (hope!) this guy is the defensive Pierre Thomas of this camp. He and DT Jay Ross I think have the most potential of the UDFA class on defense. On offense, Brandon Carter probably has the most potential to make the ball club.

We'll know more when he puts the pads on. The kid has potential and it's good to hear that the Saints really like him. Can't wait to see how he pans out.

I think it is fair to take what truck man has to say with a grain of salt, not out of disrespect or even disbelief but just as a way to take a sensible approach to the speculation and as not to get too overly excited about the news of Galette possibly making an impact.

Also, I think you are right to suggest that "without pads there is no way to know." However, even without pads and tackling involved, there are some things you can evaluate. For instance, you can evaluate how quickly a guy gets off the ball, how he uses his hands, his change of direction, and/or his pursuit to the ball. Specifically, you can scrutinize a edge rusher's repetoire of moves, that is, if he has any, or his ability to disengage blockers and move down the line of scrimmage toward a ball carrier or the quarterback. Even more, you can begin to measure a player's athleticism, agility and fluidity. How well does he move his hips? How fast is he, albeit in shorts? Now, until you get into live tackling, you have to sort of temper your optimism. But there are some things that can give you a glimpse of what a player should be or how his performance should translate into pads and live tackling situations.

I disagree and agree with 60min here.

On the first part, I have to kindly disagree. I've been waiting a long time to get overly excited about players the Saints bring in and have them actually contribute. I'll be darned if I'm going to temper my excitement about this team any time soon. Shoot, I'm pumped about the new Water/Hydration technician that they brought in! I think his name is Boucher or something.

I completely agree with the second part of your post. I would think you can learn a good bit about players without pads. Now, this is just me trying to use logic, not football experience like TCUDan or anything. A CB running step for step with a WR without pads. Isn't that a fair test to see if he can do it with pads? A safety's recognition of route combinations. Does he need pads on to decide where in his zone to go? A LB's diagnosis of a play. Sure they don't get to pop the leather a second or two later, but watching a guys first step should tell you if he knows his reads or not. And finally, DE. A pass rush move is a pass rush move, pads or no. I could tell you that Charles Grant didn't have a spin move whether he had pads on or not. Beating a guy one on one is something most of us have been doing since playing king of the hill back in the day. The kid who was best at it then would have been best at it with pads on as well. And since Juneyah's lone job this year will be to get to the QB, I'd say the coaches can probably already tell if this young man has what is needed to make an impact this year.

Yep, I'm excited about some Juneyah!

Hm, so is the next Marques Colston (a gem), the next Adrian Arrington (promising but always injured), or Mike Haas (minicamp beast)?

Whether or not Galette's performance had anything to do with the cutting of McCray, you have to say he's got a legitimate chance to make the team. We almost always keep 4 defensive ends, so right now he's competing Charleston and Brandon Sharpe for that last spot and there's no reason to believe Charleston is entrenched. Based on Paul Spicer last year, there's also no guarantee that Wilkerson makes it if he isn't all the way back.

Lets just see the guy in TC and the preseason before we crown him.

I'm more concerned about our DT situation... and who will line up next to big Sed. Ian Scott anyone?

I'm hoping Galette is used in a 3-4 as a rushing linebacker similar to Demarcus Ware for the Cowboys. If he is undersized he may struggle in a 4-3. Thoughts?

I'm hoping Galette is used in a 3-4 as a rushing linebacker similar to Demarcus Ware for the Cowboys. If he is undersized he may struggle in a 4-3. Thoughts?

He is 6'2" and 257 lbs. That may be 5-10 lbs too light for a legitimate 4-3 DE, but putting on the extra 10 lbs may decrease his speed, and make him a bit too hefty to play a 3-4 SLB. Lets face it, this guy is a tweener, and as a tweener, he has versatility which, I don't think I need to point out, Gregg Williams likes. Having said that, I know nothing about his ability to drop into coverage, which skill he will likely have to have to play the SAM 3-4 position.

I think they'll use him and Brandon Sharpe in that way when we do employ those packages--we already know from OTAs that Galette, like McCray, rushed from a two-point stance in elephant packages. But we run 3 man fronts only occasionally and there's no reason he can't rush from a three point stance in nickel and dime situations. I think they'll use him and Sharpe exactly as they used McCray.

He'll probably struggle for the first couple years to be a full time DE in the 4-3 which is why he'll be a nickel rusher and 3-4 OLB but eventually he could be a full time starter.

You mention his size but he's only 2 pounds lighter than Alex Brown. As he develops he'll get stronger so the potential is there for him to become a full time DE. It's way too early to know if he'll ever reach that but don't count him out because of his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom