Be Patient With Reggie (stat comparison) (3 Viewers)

Reggie is a major part of this teams sucess on offense. Watch when he goes in motion 90% of the time 2 men go with him.

Tiki Barber took years to become a solid back. I don't want to wait that long and I don't think Payton will either.

Anyone remember Thurman Thomas? Very similar skills.

But of course. 2nd rounder 4.3
The Bills didnt need him to catch much, after his first few years. The Hall?

ALL DEFENSES THAT PLAY THE SAINTS KEY ON REGGIE BUSH, AND AS LONG AS THEY KEEP ON KEYING ON HIM HIS STATS WILL BE BELOW AVERAGE, BUT AS LONG AS THEY ARE KEYING ON HIM THE REST OF THE SAINTS OFFENSE WILL SHINE, ESPECIALLY IN THE PASSING GAME. TEAMS PLAYING AGAINST THE SAINTS HAVE TO PICK THEIR POISON, THEY CAN CAN PUT 8-9 GUYS IN THE BOX AND GET SHREDDED LIKE THE BUCS SECONDARY, OR THEY CAN PLAY WITH 7 IN THE BOX AND LET BUSH AND DEUCE RUN ON THEM.

AS OF NOW MOST TEAMS CHOOSE TO SHUTDOWN THE RUN GAME AND MAKE BREES PASS. LOOKING AT THE SAINTS RECORD 6-2, THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING. iF TEAMS IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEASON TRY TO SHUTDOWN THE PASS GAME REGGIE AND DEUCE WILL GO OFF GUARANTEED.

ALL OF THE GUYS THAT WERE MENTIONED IN YALL COMPARISONS TO REGGIE BUSH WERE NOT HIGH CALIBER PLAYERS LIKE REGGIE BUSH, SO THEY WERE NOT BEING KEYED ON BY EVERY DEFENSE, AND THAT IS WHY THEY HAVE BETTER NUMBERS

IF YOU THINK THAT TIKI, METCALF, M. FAULK, WESTBROOK WERE ALL THE MAIN FOCUS OF THE DEFENSES THAT THEIR TEAMS PLAYED EVERY WEEK IN THEIR ROOKIE YEAR YOU ARE CRAZY.

ALL TEAMS THAT PLAY THE SAINTS KNOW THAT REGGIE CAN BREAK IT AT ANY MOMENT, SO THAT IS WHY THEY KEY ON HIM

AGAINST THE BUCS EVERYTIME REGGIE GOT THE BALL THE BUCS HAD 2-3 DEFENDERS IN THE BACKFIELD.

WITHOUT REGGIE BUSH THE SAINTS WOULD NOT BE 6-2

SEE OTHER POST ON SAME TOPIC

It's hard to be a high profile rookie and do anything when you have half a Defense chasing you down if it even looks like your about to get the ball, Guys please stop comparing stats, he's a good rookie and the best thing to come to this team, Still 10 games left to play, there's time for him to show us some spark of greatness.

I believe next year will be his time though, this year Hype has his number, everybody know's to take out "REGGIE BUSH" he's trained with a Pepsi Machine for god sakes!

he's a good rookie and the best thing to come to this team,

I would argue that just this offseason alone, Bush doesn't even crack the top 3.

1) Sean Payton
2) Drew Brees
3) Marques Colston.

Tiki wasnt even a 1st rounder, though. He still averaged 3.8 as a rookie. He never declared that his goal was to be the greatest ever. Bush is getting 2.6 per.

Would it be reasonable to compare rookie YPCs from first round RBs of Bush's stature?

Faulk 2nd pick~~~4.1
Dunn 12th pick~~~4.4
Bennett 27th pick~4.0
Portis 2nd Round~5.5
Parker undrafted~5.8

Westbrook barely made it out in the 3rd round, yet has never averaged under 4. The season is only 1/2 over....

Faulk - feature back
Dunn - feature back
Bennett - feature back
Portis - feature back
Parker - feature back (when he's not hurt) - and he's also never topped 200 carries or 1,000 yards rushing
Westbrook - feature back
Bush - NOT the feature back

And Portis doesn't count, he played for Denver. My dead grandma could still pop 3 yards a carry behind that line. Also, neither Westbrook and Parker had significant carries as a rookie so their rookie averages mean nada. That 5.8 for Parker was on 32 carries. Not bad, but all it takes is 1 good 60-yard run and your average is spiked.

Deuce had 16 carries for 91 yards as a rookie, but 1 of those runs was for 54 yards. Take that one away and Deuce went 37 yards on 15 carries for a 2.5 average.

If Reggie continues on his current pace of 207 yards on 81 carries for the rest of the year, except adds just 3 60-yard runs (just call it "blind squirrel finds a nut" for those who can't take theoreticals), his average would jump from the current 2.6 to 3.7. So just 3 rushes that go 60; an end-around, a reverse, a blown assignment, a trick play, or he just finally breaks that one tackle that turns a TD into a 4-yarder. Let him play all 16 before we expect an All-Pro, 'kay? Heck, he hasn't even been able to legally drink fo a year yet! He should technically be in some 300-level course at USC, so cut him some slack. He has enough pressure to be the greatest whoever played, no reason to put more on him. That's really all we are doing when we complain about him. Our animosity towards him builds, and pretty soon we'll be hearing boos in the Superdome when he performs poorly. Young guys like Bush need encouragement.

no kidding NPs6724...
this team is 6-2 and its because of every player on the roster. We need to lay off of bush a bit and realize many of us would have been happy with just 6 wins. right now we are atop the division and one of the best teams in the NFL. bush is a part of that!!! I am not a homer by no means, and have enjoyed my crow after stated we would win 6 games or so, but dammit lay off of bush!!! he is pulling defenders with him every time he goes into motion and draws more attention than any other weapon on the offense...

without him, we may not have the 6 wins we have...
let him continue to progress...
and remember, WE ARE 6-2!!!

Faulk - feature back
Dunn - feature back
Bennett - feature back
Portis - feature back
Parker - feature back (when he's not hurt) - and he's also never topped 200 carries or 1,000 yards rushing
Westbrook - feature back
Bush - NOT the feature back

And Portis doesn't count, he played for Denver. My dead grandma could still pop 3 yards a carry behind that line. Also, neither Westbrook and Parker had significant carries as a rookie so their rookie averages mean nada. That 5.8 for Parker was on 32 carries. Not bad, but all it takes is 1 good 60-yard run and your average is spiked.

Deuce had 16 carries for 91 yards as a rookie, but 1 of those runs was for 54 yards. Take that one away and Deuce went 37 yards on 15 carries for a 2.5 average.

If Reggie continues on his current pace of 207 yards on 81 carries for the rest of the year, except adds just 3 60-yard runs (just call it "blind squirrel finds a nut" for those who can't take theoreticals), his average would jump from the current 2.6 to 3.7. So just 3 rushes that go 60; an end-around, a reverse, a blown assignment, a trick play, or he just finally breaks that one tackle that turns a TD into a 4-yarder. Let him play all 16 before we expect an All-Pro, 'kay? Heck, he hasn't even been able to legally drink fo a year yet! He should technically be in some 300-level course at USC, so cut him some slack. He has enough pressure to be the greatest whoever played, no reason to put more on him. That's really all we are doing when we complain about him. Our animosity towards him builds, and pretty soon we'll be hearing boos in the Superdome when he performs poorly. Young guys like Bush need encouragement.

What does being a featured back have to do with YPC? This is another fine example of making excuses, not an informed debate. You say Portis had a great rookie year due to the OL in Den, but he's rolling along in DC. Dunn & Bennett dont share carries????

I'll bet you wouldnt diminish Bush's great rookie year catches by saying Horn & Colston are out there, Deuce is in the backfield, so Bush has to be open. Bush gets plenty of carries. Certainly enough to offer a reasonable evaul.

My point was that the OP comparing a #2 pick to 2nd & 3rd rounders was flawed. Why would that excite you people? Ds didnt key on LT, Portis, Faulk & others??? How about LJ? The truth doesnt mean I'm bashing, but I don't like to be insulted by wading through excuses.

Last edited:
Tiki Barber is actually a fairly good comparison. Tiki was not a good running back his first 4 or so years in the NFL (by his own admission).

Ideally, Bush will develop into a style similiar to Tiki's (both are fairly similiar).

Bush isn't the next Gale Sayers (because of how the NFL has involved there is no longer such a thing as "the next Gale Sayers", it's like saying "the next YA Tittle"), he's the next Tiki Barber (hopefully).

Size wise yes, recieving ability, which is RB's main attribute, there is no comparison between Tiki and Bush.

Bush's recieving abiltiy is what makes him, imho, redefine the running back position. He's a true slash player.

Bush may never be the inside RB Tiki Barber is, but Tiki is not and never will be the wr Bush is...however, I'm thinking Bush can learn the inside game a lot better than Tiki learned the recieving game. You just can't teach a running back to run routes, have that kind of speed, or have the hands that Reggie Bush currently has.

I think if we had more confidence in our offensive line we would send Bush on a lot more fly routes. Bush is more than capable of catching a 50 yard bomb and going up airborne to get it. For now, Payton seems content to use Bush as a means to keep teams from blitzing, which is working extremely well when you combine it with Brees's "quick twitch" in releasing the ball.

Last edited:
To be fair, Tiki still averages an additional 500 yards catching. The Giants like to look deep. They view the RB as more an outlet, than by design as we do. With Burress, Toomer, Shockey and Carter, ( Devery) Tiki gets scraps. The RB is more a fave of Brees, than with Eli or Collins.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom