Be Still My Beating Heart (1 Viewer)

I found this one that's highly rated and looks super simple once you get that pasta to water correct.

FWIW, Alton Brown now says to use cold water with pasta as the slower cooking gives a better noodle. Haven't had time, but planning to use his new good eats reloaded cacio e pepe recipe which calls for that method.

That looks good. Apparently you can also use evaporated milk to improve the texture of ice cream.

this is the recipe I was talking about - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/sodium-citrate-baked-mac-and-cheese.html

I was curious (afraid) to review the ingredients. Doesn't the packaging contain pasta AND the seasoning/flavouring mix? If so, what are the US rules on listing ingredients for a package? Half of those chemicals are illegal. LOL!

Last edited:
Basically, yes.

Can you still do milk in that? I understand why you use the sodium and that's to help the cheese melt but I think a milk sauce would always be welcomed. I haven't made my dad's mac and cheese in years and don't have the recipe anymore but I do know that he uses pet milk and velveeta. I always wound up mixing in up to 4-5 more cheeses.

Can you still do milk in that? I understand why you use the sodium and that's to help the cheese melt but I think a milk sauce would always be welcomed. I haven't made my dad's mac and cheese in years and don't have the recipe anymore but I do know that he uses pet milk and velveeta. I always wound up mixing in up to 4-5 more cheeses.

Sure you can. You could use milk or cream to emulsify the cheese (probably) but it’s really not necessary. I mean cheese and milk are pretty close to the same thing so you could do what you want.

Sure you can. You could use milk or cream to emulsify the cheese (probably) but it’s really not necessary. I mean cheese and milk are pretty close to the same thing so you could do what you want.

I left my real question out and that is should I use the sodium for cheeses that don't like melting while still using milk?

Probably but you will need to be more specific.

I remember reading on here, probably from you, that adding the sodium helps the cheese melt(I do think I'm forgetting a reason or something with that). I guess will any cheese melt when used with milk while making mac n cheese?

I remember reading on here, probably from you, that adding the sodium helps the cheese melt(I do think I'm forgetting a reason or something with that). I guess will any cheese melt when used with milk while making mac n cheese?

Cheese is going to melt how it melts. The sodium citrate lets it emulsify into a liquid so it stays creamy/melted even when it cools off.

Cheese is going to melt how it melts. The sodium citrate lets it emulsify into a liquid so it stays creamy/melted even when it cools off.

So I'll want to add that. My mac n cheeses would become almost hard while cold because of how much cheese I'd use. My brain is starting to percolate already with ideas.

So I'll want to add that. My mac n cheeses would become almost hard while cold because of how much cheese I'd use. My brain is starting to percolate already with ideas.

It’s amazing. I made my own nacho cheese with a block of Costco cheddar and home grown jalepenos in the Covid eating thread.

I don't know if you know this but is that sodium the same ingredient you can add to a cobbler to help prevent the liquid from spilling over? I was watching a Chopped show and one of the judges mentioned an ingredient that sound similar to sodium citrate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom