Bears cancel interview with Allen (1 Viewer)

I thought the same thing when it happened. I was like man wow he was just our DB coach and now he’s the head man. I thinking the same thing about Demeco Ryans getting so much attention after 1 year of coordinating. They have a great defense before he became coordinator just like DA had in Denver.
Yeah, esp when there are so many other talented guys waiting their turn, that have been around longer.

I am actually pulling for him to be our HC, keep Carmichael where he is, move Kris to DC or Ryan Nelson. Then perhaps go onto a mini rebuild for the next 2 years and become competitive again.

Honestly I think we can stay competitive for those 2 years, perhaps a 10-7 team at least.

I can only hope....
The key will be who we can sign to QB the team! Losing Payton will clearly complicate the search.

He barely started the 3rd year and had NOTHING to work with the first. He wasn't given a fair chance at all.
Some people get a second chance some don't. Payton got it right on his first try. The main argument for Allen is continuity but we don't know if he'll be a good head coach. If this has been the plan all along, then say that, if not do a proper search and don't cut corners. There is one example (20 something years ago) of this working out in San Fran. All the other times it didn't work.

Some people get a second chance some don't. Payton got it right on his first try. The main argument for Allen is continuity but we don't know if he'll be a good head coach. If this has been the plan all along, then say that, if not do a proper search and don't cut corners. There is one example (20 something years ago) of this working out in San Fran. All the other times it didn't work.

I suspect that DA is the top candidate for the job by a pretty wide margin. The reactions of Mrs. Benson and Allen at Payton's press conference to Payton promoting him for the job seemed to me to indicate that it had been discussed before. He's part of the winning culture, is well known and liked by the GM, the owner, and the players. He also has the advantage that his defense is already installed so the really good defense he built would not miss a beat next season. And, if he chose to, he could even continue with the same offensive system only this time run by Carmichael who was a big part of designing the offense and making game plans. And, Carmichael has a good bit of play calling experience for this team. So, it's a seamless transition to continue what has already been built. And, it's an attractive option because assuming DA learned a lot from Payton, this team is basically a solid QB and a couple WRs away from being a contender. It would be really hard for the team to pass up that kind of continuity for a more or less unknown commodity in a coach from the outside.

But, I'm sure they will do a full interview process so they can compare the other options to DA and make sure he is the right choice. My only concern with DA is does he have the personality to lead the team and have the players follow him? He has a really strong locker room with great leaders in Demario Davis, Malcolm Jenkins, and Cam Jordan so that will help. But, he still needs to have that personality to lead the team that Payton had. So, I think his X's and O's are great, it's just a question of leadership. And none of us really know the guy so we are going to have to trust Loomis, Ireland, and Harley to know the answer to that and make the right decision.

Personally, I'm all over the place on this. Yesterday, I wanted a whole new staff. Today I want DA and continuity. Although, I do think we need to add another young innovative mind on the offensive side of the ball to help Carmichael self scout and add some twists to the offense.

Yeah and Bill Belichick failed in Cleveland too.
Most coaches don't get a second chance and I've had yet to hear a good reason outside of continuity. Coaches with better records that got fired are still unemployed. Also, this has only worked in one place-San Fran.

But he failed in Oakland.
Pete Carrol failed with the Jets

Bill Belichick failed with cleveland. Got a referral from Parcels to coach NE when he retired.

For those who remember Sean Payton got his play calling duties pulled from him under Jim Fassel because he was doing so bad. Fassel playcalling got the team back going and into the playoffs...was a bad look for Sean imo back then.

Tom Coughlin was ran out of town in Jacksonville

it happens

Pete Carrol failed with the Jets

Bill Belichick failed with cleveland. Got a referral from Parcels to coach NE when he retired.

For those who remember Sean Payton got his play calling duties pulled from him under Jim Fassel because he was doing so bad. Fassel playcalling got the team back going and into the playoffs...was a bad look for Sean imo back then.

Tom Coughlin was ran out of town in Jacksonville

it happens
Like I said before, there are unemployed coaches with better records than DA had (Jim Caldwell or Doug Peterson for example). There are also current DCs who lead top defenses. My point is the main argument is continuity but we don't know if he'll be a good head coach.

Like I said before, there are unemployed coaches with better records than DA had (Jim Caldwell or Doug Peterson for example). There are also current DCs who lead top defenses. My point is the main argument is continuity but we don't know if he'll be a good head coach.
If that's the case, nobody knows if any of them (including DA) will be a good head coach here or anywhere else. I can accept that.

The Owner and GM will make the call on this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom