Bears cancel interview with Allen (3 Viewers)

Remember, this is apparently the Bears canceling the interview, not Dennis Allen initiating the cancelation.

I don't know guys, good coaches have succeeded in Oakland, no matter the issues with the Davis family. I think DA is a good coordinator, but I'm in no way convinced he's head coach material. I think he had more than enough time to prove himself there. If he is HC material then why aren't more teams beating down the door for interviews? I find it suspect that we're the only ones (well, and the Bears -- before they canceled the interview because they found their guy already) who seem to hold him in such high esteem.

If the Saints are indeed going with Allen as HC, then they need to bring in some fresh perspective for the offense. I'm in no way sold on keeping Carmichael on as THE guy in charge of the offense. At least bring Brady in as a co-coordinator and assistant HC to give him some more experience, and move Nielsen (sp?) to DC.

3 years is a decent enough time to evaluate a coach.

Oakland Raiders[edit]​

On January 24, 2012, Oakland Raiders' general manager Reggie McKenzie hired Allen as the team's 18th head coach. He is the first Raiders defense-oriented head coach since John Madden's retirement after the 1978 season, since the team's longtime former owner Al Davis (until his death during the 2011 season) preferred offensive-minded head coaches.[citation needed]

In his first season as head coach, the Raiders struggled as they finished the 2012 season with a record of 4–12. That offseason, the Raiders were facing salary cap problems and had traded away most of their draft picks prior to Allen's arrival, which did not allow him to establish his system with the right players. In the middle of the 2013 season, Allen decided to bench quarterback Terrelle Pryor (who was injured) for undrafted rookie Matt McGloin, in hopes of salvaging the rest of the season. Later, Pryor continued to be benched although he was healthy enough to return.[11]

On September 29, 2014, following a 38–14 loss to the Miami Dolphins and beginning the 2014 NFL season with 4 straight losses, Allen was fired.[12]

He barely started the 3rd year and had NOTHING to work with the first. He wasn't given a fair chance at all.

So who does the offensive game planning and calls? I think that will take a hit since there is no creative caller on that side now.

Remember, this is apparently the Bears canceling the interview, not Dennis Allen initiating the cancelation.

I don't know guys, good coaches have succeeded in Oakland, no matter the issues with the Davis family. I think DA is a good coordinator, but I'm in no way convinced he's head coach material. I think he had more than enough time to prove himself there. If he is HC material then why aren't more teams beating down the door for interviews? I find it suspect that we're the only ones (well, and the Bears -- before they canceled the interview because they found their guy already) who seem to hold him in such high esteem.

If the Saints are indeed going with Allen as HC, then they need to bring in some fresh perspective for the offense. I'm in no way sold on keeping Carmichael on as THE guy in charge of the offense. At least bring Brady in as a co-coordinator and assistant HC to give him some more experience, and move Nielsen (sp?) to DC.
I agree.. This is a comfortable choice by the saints, if it is that. I just commented the same above... they need some new offensive brain in the building.

For real Bill abandoned ship in Cleveland faster than any coach I ever seen...and officially quit on a napkin lol

He had zero chance in Oakland. He got the job while they were trying to clear the terrible cap situation Al Davis and Reggie McKenzie put them in. That took 2 years and just as they were finally able to start rebuilding Allen got fired. He should have been given at least one year to show what he could do with a rebuilding team once they had the space and draft picks to work with.
Yeah, comparing his Oakland situation isn't fair. Let's go DA

This can be an endearing quality about us Saints fans, but we sure do love reclamation projects when they're with the team. If Dennis Allen was on some other team's staff, we wouldn't want anything to do with him as a HC candidate. But, whatever. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Coaches salaries have nothing to do with the cap. Only players salaries, bonus's, and to a degree benefits count against the cap.
I know. When I say cap, I'm refferring to top players on big contracts feeling wasted and wanting to move on.

SP endorsed him, it’s gonna happen. DA will be the next head coach. Get ready for some tough nose football. End of an era and a new one begins.
If it means I don’t have to worry about another coaching search until 2037, I’m all for Allen.

This can be an endearing quality about us Saints fans, but we sure do love reclamation projects when they're with the team. If Dennis Allen was on some other team's staff, we wouldn't want anything to do with him as a HC candidate. But, whatever. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Once upon a time, the Saints hired a head coach that excited about 95% of the fan base. Took about a decade to recover from it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom