Bears cancel interview with Allen (1 Viewer)

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
So who does the offensive game planning and calls? I think that will take a hit since there is no creative caller on that side now.

sfbaysaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Remember, this is apparently the Bears canceling the interview, not Dennis Allen initiating the cancelation.

I don't know guys, good coaches have succeeded in Oakland, no matter the issues with the Davis family. I think DA is a good coordinator, but I'm in no way convinced he's head coach material. I think he had more than enough time to prove himself there. If he is HC material then why aren't more teams beating down the door for interviews? I find it suspect that we're the only ones (well, and the Bears -- before they canceled the interview because they found their guy already) who seem to hold him in such high esteem.

If the Saints are indeed going with Allen as HC, then they need to bring in some fresh perspective for the offense. I'm in no way sold on keeping Carmichael on as THE guy in charge of the offense. At least bring Brady in as a co-coordinator and assistant HC to give him some more experience, and move Nielsen (sp?) to DC.
I agree.. This is a comfortable choice by the saints, if it is that. I just commented the same above... they need some new offensive brain in the building.

whosyadaddy

Bleed Black & Gold
Reaction score
For real Bill abandoned ship in Cleveland faster than any coach I ever seen...and officially quit on a napkin lol

byrdzilla

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He had zero chance in Oakland. He got the job while they were trying to clear the terrible cap situation Al Davis and Reggie McKenzie put them in. That took 2 years and just as they were finally able to start rebuilding Allen got fired. He should have been given at least one year to show what he could do with a rebuilding team once they had the space and draft picks to work with.
Yeah, comparing his Oakland situation isn't fair. Let's go DA

Steve in Colorado

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This can be an endearing quality about us Saints fans, but we sure do love reclamation projects when they're with the team. If Dennis Allen was on some other team's staff, we wouldn't want anything to do with him as a HC candidate. But, whatever. I hope I'm proven wrong.

JBofWDN

"Where is Cavaletti hiding my girls?"
Reaction score
Coaches salaries have nothing to do with the cap. Only players salaries, bonus's, and to a degree benefits count against the cap.
I know. When I say cap, I'm refferring to top players on big contracts feeling wasted and wanting to move on.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
SP endorsed him, it’s gonna happen. DA will be the next head coach. Get ready for some tough nose football. End of an era and a new one begins.
If it means I don’t have to worry about another coaching search until 2037, I’m all for Allen.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
This can be an endearing quality about us Saints fans, but we sure do love reclamation projects when they're with the team. If Dennis Allen was on some other team's staff, we wouldn't want anything to do with him as a HC candidate. But, whatever. I hope I'm proven wrong.
Once upon a time, the Saints hired a head coach that excited about 95% of the fan base. Took about a decade to recover from it.

Filaphill

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Allen will be Saints HC. It makes too much sense for the cap, the locker room, playbook/system, and the overall culture continuity.

I Agree, Allen will at least keep the nucleus intact and allow us to retain some of the coaches. Just my opinion but if he leaves it will cascade to other coaches choosing to leave and possibly players. I like the team we have just got to keep it together.

Steve in Colorado

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Once upon a time, the Saints hired a head coach that excited about 95% of the fan base. Took about a decade to recover from it.
If you're talking about Ditka and that being equivalent with today's situation and a desire to go with someone from outside the organization versus inside -- that's an apples to oranges comparison. First of all, I felt at the time it was a terrible hire by an awful, desperate GM.

And, no one is currently suggesting we hire some long-retired HC instead of Dennis Allen. I'm talking about giving some other up-and-comers outside the organization a real shot at the job, rather than just going with the 'comfortable' choice. This roster isn't the 49ers roster of 1989-94 or the early- to mid-90s Cowboys roster post-Jimmie Johnson where the in-house choice or Barry Switzer-- no matter how mediocre they were -- would easily get the job done.

AgnesT

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Who was that? Oh Lord I hope you're not talking about Ditka because when he was hired, I refused to watch football. He was God awful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest SaintsReport Originals

Utopia Draft: The Saints' Ideal (Realistic) Scenario
By Dan Levy - posted 4/28/2022

Sea Change: Taysom Hill's "New" Role and What it Means for the Saints
By Dan Levy - posted 4/06/2022

Q&A: AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dan Levy
5/8/22 | 4/20/22

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines