Bears cancel interview with Allen (2 Viewers)

Allen will be Saints HC. It makes too much sense for the cap, the locker room, playbook/system, and the overall culture continuity.

I Agree, Allen will at least keep the nucleus intact and allow us to retain some of the coaches. Just my opinion but if he leaves it will cascade to other coaches choosing to leave and possibly players. I like the team we have just got to keep it together.

Once upon a time, the Saints hired a head coach that excited about 95% of the fan base. Took about a decade to recover from it.
If you're talking about Ditka and that being equivalent with today's situation and a desire to go with someone from outside the organization versus inside -- that's an apples to oranges comparison. First of all, I felt at the time it was a terrible hire by an awful, desperate GM.

And, no one is currently suggesting we hire some long-retired HC instead of Dennis Allen. I'm talking about giving some other up-and-comers outside the organization a real shot at the job, rather than just going with the 'comfortable' choice. This roster isn't the 49ers roster of 1989-94 or the early- to mid-90s Cowboys roster post-Jimmie Johnson where the in-house choice or Barry Switzer-- no matter how mediocre they were -- would easily get the job done.

Once upon a time, the Saints hired a head coach that excited about 95% of the fan base. Took about a decade to recover from it.
Who was that? Oh Lord I hope you're not talking about Ditka because when he was hired, I refused to watch football. He was God awful.

If you're talking about Ditka and that being equivalent with today's situation and a desire to go with someone from outside the organization versus inside -- that's an apples to oranges comparison. First of all, I felt at the time it was a terrible hire by an awful, desperate GM.

And, no one is currently suggesting we hire some long-retired HC instead of Dennis Allen. I'm talking about giving some other up-and-comers outside the organization a real shot at the job, rather than just going with the 'comfortable' choice. This roster isn't the 49ers roster of 1989-94 or the early- to mid-90s Cowboys roster post-Jimmie Johnson where the in-house choice or Barry Switzer-- no matter how mediocre they are -- would easily get the job done.
I think it’s important to keep as much of Payton’s staff on board as possible. He hired them all for a reason and I’m willing to see what they can do. I am not just going to assume they are going to be bad coaches without Payton around.

That said, if we are rolling with Bortles or Siemian or Book, we will be picking top 5 in the draft next year and maybe that’s what needs to happen.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but after watching the sidelines for a lot of these years I am not entirely sure Sean was the end all be all of the team, it seems to me Pete Carmichael and Dennis Allen were pretty much calling the plays on offense and defense outside of some key moments I'm sure I don't think Sean was doing that much. I am not saying he was just sitting there with his thumb up his butt I know he was still doing a lot and his loss is huge, but I don't think we hit an iceberg with him leaving either.

Belicheck wasn’t successful n Cleveland and went on to something of a nice career elsewhere. Oakland wasn’t a good organization when Allen was there, he deserves his shot in NOLA.

Also, I’m secretly hoping the next DC will be allowed to modify the defense to be just a hair more simple and let the amazing talent they have play even faster and more downhill!

yep. I hope he does well. I just hate that most failed head coaches don’t do any better the second time around. Belechick is the exception.
There’s more exceptions than that. Marv Levy, Pete Carroll, Mike Shanahan...

Could do much worse then Allen I guess. Like hiring Daboll

Personally I’m pulling for Leftwich or Bieneme

Remember, this is apparently the Bears canceling the interview, not Dennis Allen initiating the cancelation.

I don't know guys, good coaches have succeeded in Oakland, no matter the issues with the Davis family. I think DA is a good coordinator, but I'm in no way convinced he's head coach material. I think he had more than enough time to prove himself there. If he is HC material then why aren't more teams beating down the door for interviews? I find it suspect that we're the only ones (well, and the Bears -- before they canceled the interview because they found their guy already) who seem to hold him in such high esteem.

If the Saints are indeed going with Allen as HC, then they need to bring in some fresh perspective for the offense. I'm in no way sold on keeping Carmichael on as THE guy in charge of the offense. At least bring Brady in as a co-coordinator and assistant HC to give him some more experience, and move Nielsen (sp?) to DC.
You want Joe Brady, who Sean let walk out the door, over PC? Pete is 10x what Brady is.

You want Joe Brady, who Sean let walk out the door, over PC? Pete is 10x what Brady is.
Is he? Pete Carmichael is an enigma -- 2012 and a little of 2011 during SP's injury aside. I have no idea if he has his own vision or can introduce new concepts to this offense. I was suggesting adding someone like Brady (not kicking Carmichael to the street if we're determined to keep things in-house) to the offensive staff. Brady is already familiar with the system and could potentially augment Carmichael in whatever way necessary and to help bring some new ideas to what has become a bit of a stale offensive philosophy.

giphy.gif

I am actually pulling for him to be our HC, keep Carmichael where he is, move Kris to DC or Ryan Nelson. Then perhaps go onto a mini rebuild for the next 2 years and become competitive again.

Honestly I think we can stay competitive for those 2 years, perhaps a 10-7 team at least.

I can only hope....
I think it'll be something like this unless someone else absolutely wows them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom