Bears request permission to interview Saints Assistant GM Jeff Ireland (1 Viewer)

Well, they always get our sloppy seconds it seems. Graham, coaches, possibly Armstead, and a few past players I can't think of their name at the moment.

Just make Loomis the executive vice president of football operations only instead of both.

Then, make Ireland the GM

Underhill mentioned this in a piece last week. I don’t think he thought it would happen this quickly but it’s clearly an option - just depends on what Loomis thinks of that.

Can't we just tell them no. It IS a request after all.

I don't think we can since it's a promotion, but even if we could, I don't think we would. It just sets a bad precedent and good people won't want to work for you if they feel like you won't let them move ahead in their career.

I don't think we can since it's a promotion, but even if we could, I don't think we would. It just sets a bad precedent and good people won't want to work for you if they feel like you won't let them move ahead in their career.

Agree. It’s not really as discretionary as it sounds.

Underhill’s tweet said we already allowed it.

IKR

I don't like what Chi is trying to do...they're treating us like we're their damn farm franchise, they poached Pace, it didn't work, now they're reaching back in the well for Ireland in hopes of snagging Payton too...to hell with the Bears.
Success breeds jealousy. Jealousy breeds entitlement. So, instead of taking risks with unknown or people that face adversity. They want what appears the easiest and surest road to success.

This is how I would describe Chicago post 1985. They also got a new stadium that needs to get funded.

Success breeds jealousy. Jealousy breeds entitlement. So, instead of taking risks with unknown or people that face adversity. They want what appears the easiest and surest road to success.

This is how I would describe Chicago post 1985. They also got a new stadium that needs to get funded.

How's that working out for them?

I think they more or less have to let him interview/go if the position is a higher position than the one he has here. But, I'm hopeful that even an interview doesn't mean his is gone. I mean, they managed to get Ryan Nielson back last year even after he agreed to be D-Coordinator at LSU.
Hindsight being what it is, Nielson really dodged a bullet. If he'd taken the LSU job he'd be looking for work.

We all knew this day was coming. I'm actually surprised it took this long. We always talk about losing players but we've been lucky to keep this staff intact for the last several years. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose Ireland and/or DA.

Losing Ireland would be a gut punch but hopefully his mojo has rubbed off on some of his minions. If we lose him maybe the Saints continue to target good football players instead of players who look like they would be good at football.

We all knew this day was coming. I'm actually surprised it took this long. We always talk about losing players but we've been lucky to keep this staff intact for the last several years. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose Ireland and/or DA.

Losing Ireland would be a gut punch but hopefully his mojo has rubbed off on some of his minions. If we lose him maybe the Saints continue to target good football players instead of players who look like they would be good at football.
I think the drafting system and scouts he put in place are more important than the man himself. We got to find a new drafting wiz kid anyway. Jeff wasn't always gonna have the hot eye for talent forever.

It's a tough spot for us. Can't in good faith block it, and it might take too much time to rearrange the hierarchy to allow Loomis a title promo and Ireland the GM role...
Still the Bears are a junky org, I can't see this being all that appealing to Jeff? Shoot, they are so backwards that they seem to be committed to interviewing and possibly hiring a coach before the GM is even in place...

I really do not want to lose Ireland...but I am just happy nobody has come calling on Khai Harley, one of our true unheralded stars...even if it is less on the personnel end than Ireland.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom