Bears request permission to interview Saints Assistant GM Jeff Ireland (1 Viewer)

Mickey Loomis is executive vice president and 65 years old. Its simple folks. Promote Jeff to General Manager. Keep Mickey as EVP. Same management sturcture but a little more authority for Ireland and In poistion to take reins when Mickey retires. Keep the continuity.

I’d hate for Ireland to leave. Drafting has gotten much better since he’s been here. But, I do understand the desire to run a franchise as a GM also. So, it will cost the bears a nice chunk of change as the saints pay Ireland very well, but if that’s what happens it happens.

I mean, you say this, but the Saints still stick pretty strictly to guys with high SPARQ scores in the draft. I think all of the guys they have taken the last several years rate really high on those scores. So, it's not like they do the Ditka lunch pail guy thing. They draft the best athletes who are also good football players. I think they use a certain SPARQ score of a certain number is specific areas for a player as a requirement and then they see how good the guys who meet that threshold are at football, if they have a good football IQ, and how committed they are to getting better.
Oh no doubt. I didn't mean that they don't target good athletes. But more often than not they happen to be good ball players as well.

I think it is a good thing that Ireland is considered elsewhere, it shows we are doing things right.

As we speak, Chicago is requesting permissions to interview head coach and general manager candidates. If I was Ireland, I will be only interested in the position if I have final say on hiring the head coach, my future will depend on that hire.

So Ireland can go, he can also be offered the position, but can come back to the saints and ask them for something similar in order to stay. Basically a promotion is not out of the question.

And in case he leaves, I would not have a problem bringing Rick Spielman who was just released by the vikings. They always have solid drafts and their main problem has been finding a quarterback, I think he can get help for that.

It's not the end of the world....Life goes on and good people will leave for promotions when your organization is doing things right.

Last edited:
I’m sure there’s other guys out there who can scout. If we lose Ireland, they need to find a new beast. I mean, we still have all of our scouts. And I’d bank money some assistant is learning every single rope Ireland had to learn from.

If he’s gone, oh well.

I don't see a problem with him giving it another shot at GM. If it's his dream to not go out as the failure GM he was perceived as with Miami, I support him. Go for it.

Other than that he can continue to be a talent scout here.

Only thing I got from this is Ryan Pace is likely coming home lol

Success breeds jealousy. Jealousy breeds entitlement. So, instead of taking risks with unknown or people that face adversity. They want what appears the easiest and surest road to success.

This is how I would describe Chicago post 1985. They also got a new stadium that needs to get funded.
They need a whole new ownership. They keep wheeling that ole girl out there ( Virginia McCaskey ) as if she's some heroic icon from days gone by. Someone needs to tell them the 1920's are long gone.... oh, and leave our Saints alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom