Beckham playing in the US? (1 Viewer)

MSUSousaphone

Owning the CONCACAF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone's been following this, but the MLS has instituted a new rule where they can keep a maximum of two players on the team that are not counted against the salary cap.

This is significant since now they can compete with the big leagues as far as money goes. No player would rather play here than in Europe (it would be like competing for the CFL instead of the NFL) but some players may prefer to START in MLS as opposed to riding the pine in Europe. Instead of getting the washed up 38-year olds, we'll get the 'few good years left' 33-year olds.

And Beckham could be the first.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=392007&root=mls&campaign=fp&src=384493&cc=5901

Last edited:
I heard that Tues Night watching the Barcelona / Zaragoza match. The commentators said that Beckham may be leaving Real Madrid to head to the North Amercian Soccer League ( but I think he meant MSL ) What a draw that would be.
A few have made the leap, but this would be very signifigant. We will see.

It looks like Freddy is headed for Man U.. But I hope he can get playing time and not ride the bench. I'm glad for him as it should mean a stronger showing in the 2010 World Cup.

Beckham would be a huge draw for MLS.

It looks like Freddy is headed for Man U.. But I hope he can get playing time and not ride the bench. I'm glad for him as it should mean a stronger showing in the 2010 World Cup.

Beckham would be a huge draw for MLS.

Freddy at Man U? They are LOADED at his position. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him signed then "on loan" to another club ( either EPL or 1st division team ).

I havn't heard much on the coaching front but I think Klinnsman is still the front runner.

I'm not sure if many people remember this, but there was this player, Rossi, that could either play for the US or for Italy, just like Adu could play for Ghana, too....anyways, this guy ended up opting for Italy.

This actually happens a lot but a guy like Klinnsman would have the draw to keep some of these guys on our roster.

Not to mention the scoring woes would be over.

the Klinnsman choice would be interesting in that the "style" of US soccer would change. It was evident in the 1st match of the world cup agains the Cech Rep.
Each league has a different style of play ( epl, La liga, Bundesliga etc ) so players must adapt to that particular style. US soccer was always an "attacking style" of soccer, pressure the man with the ball. But when you do that, a team with excellent passing skills and ball control will dissect you every time. REcently they have adopted more of a "european approach" and not so much pressure. I think Klinssmann would be a great choice for the National Squad.

If Beckham goes to MLS it will be with New York, Los Angeles or Chivas USA with the possibility of Chicago or DC.

If Beckham goes to MLS it will be with New York, Los Angeles or Chivas USA with the possibility of Chicago or DC.

Exatly.

I would guess LA since him and his wife are big celebs and want acting careers (and he has the right to sign anywhere).

Some teams might not even want a big star, opting for the 'team' approach.

While I like the 'team' concept better, and I know my FC Dallas squad will use that, I am still upset with the lack of coverage these teams get and stars might be able to change that.

I used to think that there was virtually no one at MLS games. I would watch on TV and the stands would always look empty. Then I went to see a Dallas match against DC (before Pizza Hutt Park) and the side of the stands that I was sitting in was completely packed. I thought that ESPN must have shown our side but when I got home and watched it on TiVo they had again only showed the empty side.....:scratch:

Big stars like Beckham (who had more media at his Real PC than the Oscars that year) might be able to change that.

I heard that Beckham, Ronaldo, and possiblity Luis Figo might come to MLS. That would very cool to see them in MLS. As for Adu, I think he might be loaned out somewhere, because if he want to start every game it wont happen. He have to break in striker formation of Rooney, Ronaldo, and Saha.

I have a feeling that most of the biggest stars in the world will make the MLS their last stop before retirement because they will be able to make a big paycheck even though they have diminished skills and the MLS teams will be able to draw bigger crowds and make more money with their presence. I really hope that some huge stars come play in the MLS because Houston now has a team, which just won the MLS cup, and I would love to go see them.

A stronger showing? I could randomly pick 11 people from this message board and give a stronger showing than our team did this year...

Now....if they could make a comparable showing to the '94 cup...where they hosted...and made it to the knockout round, only to lose to the eventual champion Brazillian team on a late goal (1-0)...I'll be happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom