Before anyone says Stetson (1 Viewer)

Can someone please remind me of the last undrafted, free agent quarterback, that really made any noise? Kurt Warner?
I think Warren Moon was undrafted. San Fran had a good undrafted QB. I can't remember his name. Maybe it was Jeff Garcia. There's been a few, but it usually doesn't bode well at the QB position.

I think Warren Moon was undrafted. San Fran had a good undrafted QB. I can't remember his name. Maybe it was Jeff Garcia. There's been a few, but it usually doesn't bode well at the QB position.
Warren Moon would be the 1st pick in the draft today

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
History has shown you don't need a 1st round QB to have your next franchise QB.

History has shown you don't need a 1st round QB to have your next franchise QB.

It's not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with your premise......but I do think history is a bit skewed by the fact that the greatest QB ever has won so many Super Bowls over the last two decades.

Since the 2000 season, here are the non-first rounders not named Tom Brady to win a SB:

1. Brad Johnson
2. Drew Brees (and he was just barely out of the first round)
3. Russell Wilson
4. Nick Foles

Not a particularly extensive non-Brady list.

Now the first round picks who went on to win titles since 2000:

1. Trent Dilfer
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Peyton Manning
4. Eli Manning
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Eli Manning
8. Joe Flacco
9. Peyton Manning
10.Patrick Mahomes
11.Matthew Stafford

Brady's 7 titles makes it an 11 to 11 tie..... but again, there's that pretty major asterisk of being the best QB to ever do it, along with his uncommon ability to play at a high level for as long as he has.

It's not that I'm necessarily disagreeing with your premise......but I do think history is a bit skewed by the fact that the greatest QB ever has won so many Super Bowls over the last two decades.

Since the 2000 season, here are the non-first rounders not named Tom Brady to win a SB:

1. Brad Johnson
2. Drew Brees (and he was just barely out of the first round)
3. Russell Wilson
4. Nick Foles

Not a particularly extensive non-Brady list.

Now the first round picks who went on to win titles since 2000:

1. Trent Dilfer
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Peyton Manning
4. Eli Manning
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Eli Manning
8. Joe Flacco
9. Peyton Manning
10.Patrick Mahomes
11.Matthew Stafford

Brady's 7 titles makes it an 11 to 11 tie..... but again, there's that pretty major asterisk of being the best QB to ever do it, along with his uncommon ability to play at a high level for as long as he has.
I honestly don't have the patience to look it all up but who was Brady playing in those Superbowls? Probably not first rounders I wouldn't think. I looked at the first round Superbowl picks, especially first overall since those are held in such high regard, and it's a fairly disappointing list.

I honestly don't have the patience to look it all up but who was Brady playing in those Superbowls? Probably not first rounders I wouldn't think. I looked at the first round Superbowl picks, especially first overall since those are held in such high regard, and it's a fairly disappointing list.
off the top of my head I can think of Mat Ryan and Patrick Mahommes

Yep. Moon came over to the NFL from the CFL. Won 5 straight CFL championships. Was throwing for over 5000 way back then in their league.

Warner
Delhomme
McNabb (1st round)
Wilson
Ryan (1st round)
Goff (1st round)
Mahomes (1st round)

Those were his 7 SB wins.

“He’s too short” … that’s what they said about Brees …
I hate this fallacy. Logically, just because "they said that about Drew Brees", all that means is that QB's who are 6 feet tall historically have a GREATER THAN 0% probability of being great NFL QB's. That's all. It doesn't mean they WILL be good QB's. Or even that they probably will be great QB's. In fact, statistically speaking, it's much more probable for taller QB's to do better. It means Drew Brees was a notable ANOMALY. Nothing more.

Yep. Moon came over to the NFL from the CFL. Won 5 straight CFL championships. Was throwing for over 5000 way back then in their league.
Yep. He was a baller. I know many teams regretted passing on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom