Saints Behind (and deeper within) enemy lines: vs. 49'ers (1 Viewer)

Totally disagree. You do realize Kwon Alexander is on IR. They start two rookies and a 2nd year player.

I said when healthy. The fact of the matter is that the Wide 9 relies on good DL and LB play, at which, they've been very strong even without Kwon Alexander. Even then, Warner is playing at an elite level.

Demario Davis is really the only LB on the Saints roster right now that isn't attackable. Klein is smart, but doesn't have the athleticism to use his brains to their fullest capabilities. AA is on IR (as usual). Kiko is inconsistent, at best. Robertson is slow and gets his ankles busted by shifty backs every time. Eliss is unproven and on IR.

At the end of the day, their LBers are a cog in a #1 defense. The age/experience of their linebackers is completely irrelevant in correlation to their play, elite is elite. The Saints LBers are perhaps the weakest link of the Saints middle-of-the-pack defense, outside of Demario Davis and a healthy Anzalone.

I said when healthy. The fact of the matter is that the Wide 9 relies on good DL and LB play, at which, they've been very strong even without Kwon Alexander. Even then, Warner is playing at an elite level.

Demario Davis is really the only LB on the Saints roster right now that isn't attackable. Klein is smart, but doesn't have the athleticism to use his brains to their fullest capabilities. AA is on IR (as usual). Kiko is inconsistent, at best. Robertson is slow and gets his ankles busted by shifty backs every time. Eliss is unproven and on IR.

At the end of the day, their LBers are a cog in a #1 defense. The age/experience of their linebackers is completely irrelevant in correlation to their play, elite is elite. The Saints LBers are perhaps the weakest link of the Saints middle-of-the-pack defense, outside of Demario Davis and a healthy Anzalone.
Bro, I don’t know what you talking about with this “Saints middle-of-the-pack defense”....What the flip?!?!

When Saints D is ON...I DARE SAY THEY TOP 5. Now stats can be twisted depending on strength of schedule, but dude watch the games...

Saints D = MVP of This Season Fool!!!

Da Loon Gonna Loon Folks...bout ta have me start google sheet and stuff to prove my point but what the hell...WE KNOW WHAT WE SEE

The Niners have a great Dline but are giving up 4.7 yards a carry. Teams can run on them which tells me maybe their linebackers aren’t the world beaters you make them out to be. I trust Payton to come up with a solid game plan.

I disagree with your assessment on Alonso. He may have had some inconsistencies in his career but he has played very well in an ever-increasing role for us. I would argue that he has become our second best linebacker, and that status is based on merit, not by default. Hopefully he is healthy enough to play and play well. Reportedly his injury was a bruise so that sounds like a good sign.

I also don't think Robertson "gets his ankles busted by shifty backs every time." He has looked good in his limited action with us. Yes, his athletic ability is limited, but he is smart enough to play within himself.

I also don't think the 49ers have the sorts of athletes on offense that can consistently strain a linebacking corps. Devote whatever you need to George Kittle and Emmanuel Sanders and play everyone else straight up. That should be good enough for a defense like ours that is sound against the run.

Atlanta had some success running on the edges against us, so you can bet SF will try to exploit us that way as well, especially since it fits into how they like to run their offense. We will need to be very deliberate in setting the edge and stringing plays out. Davis is really good at going sideline to sideline. Cam and Davenport generally set the edge well. If we shut down their run, it will be tough for them to beat us through the air. Jimmy G is a good game manager who is pretty savvy at throwing under pressure, but I do not believe he is capable of putting the offense on his shoulders.

Saints have a top 10 defense, that's better than middle of the pack.

I also don't think the 49ers have the sorts of athletes on offense that can consistently strain a linebacking corps. Devote whatever you need to George Kittle and Emmanuel Sanders and play everyone else straight up. That should be good enough for a defense like ours that is sound against the run.

The 49ers have the fastest stable of RBs in the entire league. Breida, Coleman, and Mostert can all flat-out fly. Mostert gashed the Ravens multiple times yesterday, and the fact is, he may only see a few carries when they play the Saints. Breida should be back next Sunday, and Coleman barely touched the ball vs the Ravens... Between their 3 RBs, Kittle, Sanders, and Samuel, the 49ers have plenty of weapons to test the Saints defense all over the field. Kyle Juszczyk, their FB, is also a dangerous player that can hurt a defense if he’s not accounted for.

The 49ers have the fastest stable of RBs in the entire league. Breida, Coleman, and Mostert can all flat-out fly. Mostert gashed the Ravens multiple times yesterday, and the fact is, he may only see a few carries when they play the Saints. Breida should be back next Sunday, and Coleman barely touched the ball vs the Ravens... Between their 3 RBs, Kittle, Sanders, and Samuel, the 49ers have plenty of weapons to test the Saints defense all over the field. Kyle Juszczyk, their FB, is also a dangerous player that can hurt a defense if he’s not accounted for.
Speed is frankly one of the least valuable traits that a RB can have. Reggie was fast. Pierre wasn't. Their personnel don't scare me because we have a fundamentally sound pursuit game and tackling. We made McCaffrey a pass-catcher only.

The FB is good, but he is no McCaffrey, and this is not the old Saints that can't cover backs and tight ends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom