Belichick and the Patriots are stockpiling TEs (1 Viewer)

Belichick and the Patriots are stockpiling TEs

images

Actually, just thinking about the Video posted here on Colstons 2011 highlights and he kinda looks like a TE. All his catches are inbetween tight coverage, catches made with his body, takes huge hits after catch, lots of key 3rd down catches in coverage. Last year Meachem was the more prototypical wide receiver going deep and getting separation with his catches as opposed to Colston in the middle of coverage.

Actually, just thinking about the Video posted here on Colstons 2011 highlights and he kinda looks like a TE. All his catches are inbetween tight coverage, catches made with his body, takes huge hits after catch, lots of key 3rd down catches in coverage. Last year Meachem was the more prototypical wide receiver going deep and getting separation with his catches as opposed to Colston in the middle of coverage.

This is what I was talking about when I said that Payton likes tall receivers with big frames. Graham and Colston fit the mold, and so does Toon... I think he could be a great fit on the team. "Possession" receivers are becoming the trend, since a lot of these TE's are really just big receivers who line up in the TE position (rarely ever actually blocking.) Short to intermediate passes are slowly replacing the running game. The days of running the ball, running the ball, then throwing deep are on the way out. You have to be able to move the ball up the field through dink and dunk passes, which have a higher completion rate than deep chunk passes and a greater yards per play average than most rushing plays

I would doubt that Bellichick and Payton have much philosophy in common. Bellichick is a defensive coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom