Ben Watson doesn't look too happy about this (1 Viewer)

I hear you on the offended thing but at the same time I think people need to realize that "not everyone is their best friend" so to speak. The boundaries you have with one person, or group of people for that matter, are not always the same as with the next, and that's even more so in a professional setting as well as on a public platform. If you're gonna make that kind of joke on a TV broadcast then you better be certain sure the person you're making it with is on that level with you.
Yep pretty much exactly this.

He didn’t… He made a little wise-crack that married dudes with friends have heard 1M times! If he did (in fact) leave the set to have an altercation with that other dude because of that JOKE…

…Then Ben Watson is the AH.

Sorry… that’s where I stand.
You said it yourself - with friends.

This was not just with friends. It was on a nationally televised show.

That's the difference here.

You said it yourself - with friends.

This was not just with friends. It was on a nationally televised show.

That's the difference here.
Agree to disagree… this is Ben Watson making a scene on television because he “was offended” by what was obviously a joke!
Even if Watson wasn’t “friends” with the other guy… handle it off broadcast and take the classy road.

I’m disappointed in Watson. iMHO

I hear you on the offended thing but at the same time I think people need to realize that "not everyone is their best friend" so to speak. The boundaries you have with one person, or group of people for that matter, are not always the same as with the next, and that's even more so in a professional setting as well as on a public platform. If you're gonna make that kind of joke on a TV broadcast then you better be certain sure the person you're making it with is on that level with you.
Absolutely agree it was unprofessional and not cool. Some of the comments in here are acting like he should have got a whopping.

Agree to disagree… this is Ben Watson making a scene on television because he “was offended” by what was obviously a joke!
Even if Watson wasn’t “friends” with the other guy… handle it off broadcast and take the classy road.

I’m disappointed in Watson. iMHO
We can certainly agree to disagree, but I feel like you're not understanding the difference.

It doesn't matter if they were friends, enemies, or anywhere in between. There is a huge difference between guys breaking each others' nads when it's just them, and a whole other thing when it's done publicly or in front of anyone that isn't part of the nad breaking group.

I'm one of those guys that loves to crack on others (especially my close friends), but I also recognize there is a time and a place to pull back from doing that.

He didn’t… He made a little wise-crack that married dudes with friends have heard 1M times! If he did (in fact) leave the set to have an altercation with that other dude because of that JOKE…

…Then Ben Watson is the AH.

Sorry… that’s where I stand.
Ben Watson is a million times the man you are, and that's where you'll sit.

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but it seems like they were doing a bit. I don't think Ben was mad, just did a good job playing his part.

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but it seems like they were doing a bit. I don't think Ben was mad, just did a good job playing his part.

That is my take as well .

From the first time i saw it the other night , my thoughts were that it was an offhand remark from Burns, then the other guys were hooting and hollering and i heard Watson act kinda fake-offended.. then they came back from break and it was at that point an obvious bit where Ben came back like he had just kicked arse and no Burns to be found, and the other guy even had the Will Smith line locked and loaded.. much ado about nothing IMO .

Yea, he probably told Watson that he was overreacting, which is true.
Just curious, if someone tells you they felt offended by something your said or did, is your first response to tell them that they are overreacting?

Whether or not Watson was overreacting is irrelevant. The other guy doesn't get to determine what offends Watson and that would be the exact opposite of the right thing to do. I guess it's a matter of how one is raised because I was raised to apologize if I offend someone, not try to justify what I said or did by telling the person I offended that they are overreacting.

I think you are being obtuse. Did you see the tweet Watson made after the incident demanding a public apology to his wife? Watson was mad. Watson is very devout in his faith and his family and he's the kind of person who will not allow anyone to disrespect him or his family. The "joke" crossed the line ON NATIONAL TV.

Just curious, if someone tells you they felt offended by something your said or did, is your first response to tell them that they are overreacting?

Whether or not Watson was overreacting is irrelevant. The other guy doesn't get to determine what offends Watson and that would be the exact opposite of the right thing to do. I guess it's a matter of how one is raised because I was raised to apologize if I offend someone, not try to justify what I said or did by telling the person I offended that they are overreacting.
I would have apologized and moved on, well, i never would have made the joke in the first place.

That doesn't mean that Watson didn't overreact. I don't think the other guy was right, but i don't think Watson's reaction was appropriate either.

It's one thing to tell wife/mom jokes in private but on TV with millions of people watching is a very different story. And who knows what kind of grief his wife would give him if he hadn't done anything.
I'm wondering if Watson felt the comment, which was stupid in the context of a sports show, was a violation of personal or professional code of conduct. Possibly both.

The comment was extremely unprofessional for an on-air sports show.

That said, they used to be called jumpolines until your mom bounced on one :hihi:

He should've just admitted he was wrong and left Ben alone. Once you step over the line, anything but an apology is usually going to escalate the situation, and don't try to laugh it off, ever.

Yea, he probably told Watson that he was overreacting, which is true.
Imagine if we all here got a chance to crack on your loved ones for a bit on live TV. Phan78's grandma, come on down. Phan78's niece, you're next. That is crude and insensitive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom