Ben Watson Is a Bad Tight End (1 Viewer)

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Maybe we should wait till after the superbowl!

But yeah, having a great TE would be a key addition for this offense which hopefully we can address in the offseason. Really we have TE's by committee and it's not awful, but could definitely be better. I was hoping we would draft Kittle when he came out, seemed like a great prospect in middle rounds. Also had some good options in this years draft but we never pulled the trigger. FA probably route 1. Ben's 38 anyway and while he's playing very well for his age, and is decent all round, there will be a change in the offseason I'm sure.

OP
OP

Saintssation

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe we should wait till after the superbowl!

But yeah, having a great TE would be a key addition for this offense which hopefully we can address in the offseason. Really we have TE's by committee and it's not awful, but could definitely be better. I was hoping we would draft Kittle when he came out, seemed like a great prospect in middle rounds. Also had some good options in this years draft but we never pulled the trigger. FA probably route 1. Ben's 38 anyway and while he's playing very well for his age, and is decent all round, there will be a change in the offseason I'm sure.
Saints had a great tight end. Unfortunately they dealt him in 2015. Unger has been a godsend. Don't get me wrong. But this team would be better with Graham.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This guy isn't a starting caliber tight end. Nice dude. But time to find someone different.
ALL WE HAVE; best option ATM. What do you want the Saints to do at this time? Make one?

The Saints know this is a weak spot. They did not aggressively address it as we can tell; maybe they did, but things did not work out. So they live with what they have until next season.

OP
OP

Saintssation

Banned
Reaction score
ALL WE HAVE; best option ATM. What do you want the Saints to do at this time? Make one?

The Saints know this is a weak spot. They did not aggressively address it as we can tell; maybe they did, but things did not work out. So they live with what they have until next season.
Maybe they should've been more proactive in FA & the draft. They've done nothing to get insurance at the tackle position either. The fact Armstead missing time affects them this much is on the front office.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I loved Graham, and hated him at the same time. Great plays but oft-injured and cowardly at times - and he couldn't block. Unger and a 1st Rounder was a great deal for us.

Having said that, we've yet to replace Graham's production at the TE spot, either in one guy or across several TE's. Having someone good to very good in that spot would be huge and take pressure off MT and Kamara.

The TE FA pool is relatively slim in 2019, Jared Cook is possibly the best option of established TE's. Eifert but he's always injured. So we'll see.

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Saints had a great tight end. Unfortunately they dealt him in 2015. Unger has been a godsend. Don't get me wrong. But this team would be better with Graham.
So you think the Saints would be a better team with Graham and no Unger?

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yes, I think the Saints definitely need to upgrade the TE in the offseason. Brees was one of the best passers to Colston, Graham or Watson up the seams. We rarely see that route anymore.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Disagree. The center is the most important non QB position on offense to have as a beast! Only offensive player that touches the ball 100% of the time during the season. Defenses can scheme to remove a TE from the game plan. Consider the TE only touches the ball 4-8 times a game.

bartk12

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Less then 12 hours removed from winning an absolute classic and securing HFA and the whining starts.
The FO thought Watson could regain the form he had here first time around. They activily pursued Graham during FA and they did address the tackle position.
Can’t you just enjoy this feeling for a week or two? Not saying you can’t call out the team or the FO, but why now and why so incorrect.

bouxdag

Veteran
Reaction score
Someone will probably make an off-season priorities thread during the super bowl trophy ceremony.

breesgirl

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Playoff Josh Hill will be touching down in approximately three weeks.

Seriously, yes TE is a weakness, but let’s not act like Graham has left Ben in the dust this season. Comparing the two of them on the field, Jimmy looks more like the 38 year old past his prime TE than Watson does.

Besides, all we need is for our TE to catch a couple of balls a game and to block their tails off. I’d love for us to have a prime Graham 2.0, but we have what we have. Hopefully Payton can creatively scheme for the position group during this playoff run.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Watson has still been substantially better than Hill. We dont need to upgrade our starting TE. Hill is younger and faster...and even more nonexistent. We need to upgrade all the TEs. Hill just irks me to no end though. We know what we have in Watson. He was a last resort signing and I appreciate that he's out there at least trying. He could have hung up his cleats after a very good, long career. Hill on the otherhand, has been given every opportunity to become the Saints starting TE. Heck, he's been given every opportunity to be just a decent 2nd option. Like Traveris Cadet and Devante Harris before him, I'm just ready for the Saints to admit that it's been a long failed experiment and move on. With Drew Brees at QB, its unacceptable that he can't get open on more than 1 or 2 plays a game. It's unfathomable that he can't manage to catch his 1 target each game when it hits him in his **** hands!

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Playoff Josh Hill will be touching down in approximately three weeks.

Seriously, yes TE is a weakness, but let’s not act like Graham has left Ben in the dust this season. Comparing the two of them on the field, Jimmy looks more like the 38 year old past his prime TE than Watson does.

Besides, all we need is for our TE to catch a couple of balls a game and to block their tails off. I’d love for us to have a prime Graham 2.0, but we have what we have. Hopefully Payton can creatively scheme for the position group during this playoff run.
Is that it? LOL. I sure hope so.

LiterOCola

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Watson has still been substantially better than Hill. We dont need to upgrade our starting TE. Hill is younger and faster...and even more nonexistent. We need to upgrade all the TEs. Hill just irks me to no end though. We know what we have in Watson. He was a last resort signing and I appreciate that he's out there at least trying. He could have hung up his cleats after a very good, long career. Hill on the otherhand, has been given every opportunity to become the Saints starting TE. Heck, he's been given every opportunity to be just a decent 2nd option. Like Traveris Cadet and Devante Harris before him, I'm just ready for the Saints to admit that it's been a long failed experiment and move on. With Drew Brees at QB, its unacceptable that he can't get open on more than 1 or 2 plays a game. It's unfathomable that he can't manage to catch his 1 target each game when it hits him in his **** hands!
I somewhat disagree. Watson has more catches and yards, but is just as unreliable at catching the ball, especially recently. Watson used to be a very good TE, but age has caught up with his hands.

IgorBrees

All-Pro
Reaction score
Maybe they should've been more proactive in FA & the draft. They've done nothing to get insurance at the tackle position either. The fact Armstead missing time affects them this much is on the front office.
The saints have 3 starter caliber Tackles on the team. Most teams don't even have two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)