Ben Watson Is a Bad Tight End (1 Viewer)

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The saints have 3 starter caliber Tackles on the team. Most teams don't even have two.
This + two of them are studs!

This reminds me of the “Oh nooozzz, how are we going to sign all of the great young playerzzz in 2/3 yearzzz!!!????!?!?” Thread from somewhere around week 7. Yeah, the Saints were 5-1 and playing amazing and all the OP could whine about was the salary cap in 2020 & 2021.

Enjoy this ride fellas, there are 31 teams that would trade with the Saints straight up right now!

WHO DAT

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Someone will probably make an off-season priorities thread during the super bowl trophy ceremony.
There was already a "2019 draft options" thread within the last few days.

I've tried to point out on numerous occasions in the past that we LITERALLY HAVE MONTHS that are unoccupied with football to discuss that stuff.

SaintSeb

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
He runs and blocks well but has a serious case of the dropsies. Not sure what's going on there because he's known for being surehanded. Reminds me of Colston's final days.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree. Watson has more catches and yards, but is just as unreliable at catching the ball, especially recently. Watson used to be a very good TE, but age has caught up with his hands.
He's old. We didnt end last season thinking Watson would be our starting TE. He's out there because an old not as reliable Watson is STILL a far better, more reliable option than our young TE who we've been grooming to be a primary for what seems like 10 years. I'm over it.

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
1) Its not his fault, if anybody out there is giving it 100% effort, its him. 2) I don't think he is bad. He isn't great, but he is almost as old as Brees and is reliable and smart. 3) I'd play him over the other TE's we have, so what does that say?

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Less then 12 hours removed from winning an absolute classic and securing HFA and the whining starts.
The FO thought Watson could regain the form he had here first time around. They activily pursued Graham during FA and they did address the tackle position.
Can’t you just enjoy this feeling for a week or two? Not saying you can’t call out the team or the FO, but why now and why so incorrect.
don't you miss being 20 and knowing everything there is to know?

OP
OP

Saintssation

Banned
Reaction score
Someone will probably make an off-season priorities thread during the super bowl trophy ceremony.
Well if you're always looking backwards, you can never look forwards.

Leave Ben alone. Great man, great player.
He's a great man. Definitely not a great player. He's serviceable.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I think the Saints definitely need to upgrade the TE in the offseason. Brees was one of the best passers to Colston, Graham or Watson up the seams. We rarely see that route anymore.
I think this is the reason Payton wanted Bryant. He was going to run that route until he blew out his achilles.

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Watson has still been substantially better than Hill. We dont need to upgrade our starting TE. Hill is younger and faster...and even more nonexistent. We need to upgrade all the TEs. Hill just irks me to no end though. We know what we have in Watson. He was a last resort signing and I appreciate that he's out there at least trying. He could have hung up his cleats after a very good, long career. Hill on the otherhand, has been given every opportunity to become the Saints starting TE. Heck, he's been given every opportunity to be just a decent 2nd option. Like Traveris Cadet and Devante Harris before him, I'm just ready for the Saints to admit that it's been a long failed experiment and move on. With Drew Brees at QB, its unacceptable that he can't get open on more than 1 or 2 plays a game. It's unfathomable that he can't manage to catch his 1 target each game when it hits him in his **** hands!

He’s a block first TE.....sorta like a FB shouldn’t be graded on his ypc.

Hill’s a fantastic blocker.

Ever wonder why he’s active roster every game and logs high snap counts?

It’s not cause he sucks.

Craig Walker

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All are TEs are terrible in the passing game. Really the only glaring weakness on the team.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He’s a block first TE.....sorta like a FB shouldn’t be graded on his ypc.

Hill’s a fantastic blocker.

Ever wonder why he’s active roster every game and logs high snap counts?

It’s not cause he sucks.
This sounds eerily like the Traveris Cadet arguments back in the day. "Payton trust him, so I do." He knows the offense." "He wouldnt get the snaps if he wasn't doing what he's supposed to do." We saw what happened when we had the option to give those snaps to a more competent player. Just because he gets snaps doesn't mean he's good. Only means he's on the roster.

He logs snap for the same reason Watson does. They are the best options on the roster. With the much older Watson still being inexplicably the better option.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints RSS News Feeds 0

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom