Ben Watson Is a Bad Tight End (3 Viewers)

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I don't blame the team though. They tried to address TE during FA. Graham would have been great but he lacks good judgment and chose Green Bay. I'm sure they looked at the draft but the value never lined up with our pick. I'm never for taking need over BPA so I can live with this decision too.

Pocket Hercules

Always Locked In
Reaction score
The team tried to sign Graham, but he bet on Rodgers over Brees and took more money. He's clearly regretting that decision, but it is what it is. The young "sure thing" TE's in the draft were not BPA when we were on the clock. Watson was the best option available to us, and he has been quite serviceable, especially when considering what we're paying him. Given our cap situation, if we were paying another TE more money, we'd be weaker somewhere else. Teams do not have the money to trot pro-bowlers out on the field at every position.

Watson has made several timely, unbelievable catches this year that no 38 year-old TE should be making out there, and I'm betting that with a little rest over the next few weeks, we haven't heard the last from him this season. It would have been nice if Josh Hill had developed into a starting-caliber TE, but he's a proven blocker (especially devastating on the outside) who has also come up with key receptions as an UDFA. We really can't complain about ROI with Josh Hill. Same with Dan Arnold.

We're in the middle of a possible (if not probable) Super Bowl run, and while we do not have a Travis Kelce at TE, we have plenty of talent to compete with any team in the NFL if we play to our potential. Preparation and execution will determine whether or not we win our second Lombardi, not Ben Watson or the TE position. We are well positioned - enjoy the ride.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree. Watson has more catches and yards, but is just as unreliable at catching the ball, especially recently. Watson used to be a very good TE, but age has caught up with his hands.
This. Suprisingly he is still open a good bit but he is dropping passes that are hitting him in the hands. Some of these the last few weeks were big gains as well. I'm glad to have him for one last run, but he is not a reliable pass catcher anymore.

slikk

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
hes still better than just having hill which you never know what u gonna get

TheGrayMan

Combat Vet
Reaction score
I think Watson should be our number two guy and Dan Arnold should be number one. He getting healthy scratched.

v12whodat

Rookie
Reaction score
This guy isn't a starting caliber tight end. Nice dude. But time to find someone different.
Okay,Enough is enough. I see you made a post about Marcus Williams, and now you making a post about Ben Watson. We just won the first seed in the playoffs and this is what you talk about. You fail to realized that Ben Watson is a team leader and also a great locker room guy, and that my friend goes a long way. You can have the most talented football team in the world, however if you don’t have great locker room chemistry and team leaders your team will collapse. In regards to your negativity and lack of enthusiasm your trolling point blank. Cherry picking players performance and ignoring the fact that we just won the first seed in the playoffs tells me you’re not a Saints supporter. I’m just gonna call it like I see it.

Last edited:

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I wish we would of signed Eric Ebron even though he drops a ton of passes. But I still like Ben Watson & Josh Hill. Both those guys can catch & block unlike Ebron or Jimmy Graham. We are a different team now than we were with Jimmy. We are a run first team, so we need a good blocking tight end.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Playoff Josh Hill will be touching down in approximately three weeks.

Seriously, yes TE is a weakness, but let’s not act like Graham has left Ben in the dust this season. Comparing the two of them on the field, Jimmy looks more like the 38 year old past his prime TE than Watson does.

Besides, all we need is for our TE to catch a couple of balls a game and to block their tails off. I’d love for us to have a prime Graham 2.0, but we have what we have. Hopefully Payton can creatively scheme for the position group during this playoff run.
Here are the season totals for both players:

J. Graham - 85 targets, 52 rec, 615 yards, 2 TDs

B.Watson - 43 targets, 33 rec, 371 yards, 2 TDs

According to Over The Cap Jimmy Graham's contract averages 10 million a year which is the highest average among TEs. Travis Kelce is second with 9.4 mill a year. Watson comes in at 38th in the league with 2 mill. That's three spots behind Josh Hill and his 2.3.

So Jimmy has seen double the amount of targets Watson has seen. And even with double the targets Jimmy only finished with 19 more catches, 244 more yards, and the same number of TDs. Going by their contracts you would think there would be a much wider gap.

Watson isn't a world beater but at least his play matches up with his pay. The best moves Loomis made last offseason were the moves he tried to make but didn't.

OneBigEasy!!

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That catch that Watson missed was off the mark. He might not be a worldbeater but he is still a solid player

Pocket Hercules

Always Locked In
Reaction score
So wait....the promise of this thread was the off-target jump pass from Drew under pressure that Watson maybe had a 50% chance at best to catch?

Ehhhh.....ok.

MightyMite

Mightiest of all Mites
Reaction score
Okay,Enough is enough. I see you made a post about Marcus Williams, and now you making a post about Ben Watson. We just won the first seed in the playoffs and this is what you talk about. You feel realized that Ben Watson is a team leader and also a great locker room guy, and that my friend goes along way. You can have the most talented football team in the world, however if you don’t have great locker room chemistry and team leaders your team will collapse. In regards to your negativity and lack of enthusiasm your trolling point blank. Cherry picking players performance and ignoring the fact that we just won the first seed in the playoffs tells me you’re not a Saints supporter. I’m just gonna call it like I see it.
I agree. You'ld think we were 2-13 instead of 13-2.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Watson has still been substantially better than Hill. We dont need to upgrade our starting TE. Hill is younger and faster...and even more nonexistent. We need to upgrade all the TEs. Hill just irks me to no end though. We know what we have in Watson. He was a last resort signing and I appreciate that he's out there at least trying. He could have hung up his cleats after a very good, long career. Hill on the otherhand, has been given every opportunity to become the Saints starting TE. Heck, he's been given every opportunity to be just a decent 2nd option. Like Traveris Cadet and Devante Harris before him, I'm just ready for the Saints to admit that it's been a long failed experiment and move on. With Drew Brees at QB, its unacceptable that he can't get open on more than 1 or 2 plays a game. It's unfathomable that he can't manage to catch his 1 target each game when it hits him in his **** hands!
Re: Hill - He thinks he's a slasher style runner when he clearly has no skills to elude tacklers.

He needs to learn his limitations and play accordingly.

(As far as I am concerned, he should just catch the ball, secure it, then go down if there's any defender near him.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom