Bengals fans fail (1 Viewer)

gravynola

yeahuright
Reaction score
First congrats to the Bengals on a good win to start their season 2-0, but during the post game interview on NFL Network with Reggie Bush, Reggie called out their football culture by asking what is a Who Dey and stated that he felt like they took that from us. I particularly enjoyed that Reggie said "Us". Anyway, to wrap up the interview they asked the Bengals fans that stuck around to show Reggie the Who Dey chant which was led on the spot by Andy Dalton. To be honest with you it didn't seem like any of the fans even did it once. Just saying if there was only 1 New Orleans fan sitting there all alone I feel like you would have witnessed a passionate chant in proper fashion. They looked like they didn't know what to do.

I kinda feel it’s contrived and even the fans know it... something that a group tries to make something but it doesn’t really catch on...

It’s not theirs and they know it so they don’t embrace it

Well, we've got 9 of us going to the game in Cinci in November, so we will do our best to make the Who Dat chant be heard. From what I can see, that shouldn't be a problem!

Well, we've got 9 of us going to the game in Cinci in November, so we will do our best to make the Who Dat chant be heard. From what I can see, that shouldn't be a problem!

I've got 6 going including 2 flying in from NOLA. I expected like in 2010, the WhoDat Nation will be well represented in Cincy.

Unfortunately, it looks like the game will be tougher than expected.

Who Dey just sounds bad. On top of Bengals, which is two syllables instead of one (saints). It just doesn’t work in my opinion
Who Dey say gunna beat them Bengals
Who dat say gunna beat them saints

This quote is often attributed to Tennessee Williams... "America has only three great cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." In this case, Cincinnati. who dey is as bland as their chili.

This quote is often attributed to Tennessee Williams... "America has only three great cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." In this case, Cincinnati. who dey is as bland as their chili.
Cincinnati is absolutely nothing like Cleveland.

I kinda feel it’s contrived and even the fans know it... something that a group tries to make something but it doesn’t really catch on...

It’s not theirs and they know it so they don’t embrace it

I imagine the story of their chant origin goes something like this:

Monday night, Nov. 30, 2009, three Bengals fans are sitting in their favorite Cincinnati sports bar admiring the Saints leading over the New England Patriots to the delight of the thunderous Who Dat! Nation as our famous chant reverberates through the Superdome and TV sets around the country.

Due to the noisy bar atmosphere, Bengal fan #1 turns to his buddies and asks, "What are those Saints fans shouting from the stands?"

Bengal fan #2 replies, "I can't tell... but it sure seems to be inciting their team to an inspired victory".

Bengal fan #3 pipes up confidently, "It sounds to me like they are saying 'who dey'.

"Who dey???" asks Bengal fan #1... "That's just stupid! It doesn't even make any sense!"

"Well..." interjects Bengal fan #2, "It's probably some sort of Cajun term. Nobody really understands what those people are saying anyway."

Bengal fan #1 nods in agreement, "Yeah, you're probably right. I once tried to watch an episode of 'Swamp People' and I couldn't even make out what language they were speaking."

[chuckling] "I know what you mean..." replies Bengal fan #3, "But your can't argue with what works. That hopeless team is undefeated right now, and they are steamrolling over everyone this year!"

[Devery Henderson hauls in a 75yd TD pass from Drew Brees] Bengal fans #1, 2 & 3 in spontaneous unison shouts, "WHO DEY!!!"

The sports bar patrons join in, "WHO DEY, WHO DEY say dey gonna beat dem Bengals!!!"

And the rest is some really confused Cincinnati history. :ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom