Speculation Bengals interested in Aaron Glenn (1 Viewer)

Something seems really fishy about this one.

Payton takes pride in his coaches advancing their careers. He's let others (Campbell, Carmichael, and Allen just this year) interview for other positions, and I don't ever recall Payton et. al. blocking anyone from interviewing for a promotion.

There is more to this story, IMO.

Watch them take Nolan from us just for spite.

...unless we block them again.

Edit: A thought occurred to me. Could it also be that we denied the interview because it's so late in the hiring process and most teams already have all of their guys on staff? If we lost any of our guys, it's now awfully late for us to find a replacement.

Granted, other coaches kept turning the Bengals down, so the Bengals could've had this position filled shortly after the Superbowl had one of the interview-ees accepted the position. But why should we be punished because the Bengals are taking forever and struggling to find a guy to take the job?

Last edited:
The problem may be the timing. If Glenn were to leave, then we would have to start looking for a defensive backs coach in the second half of February.

I don't know about this. I mean I understand wanting to keep your best assistant but why deny a person of a possible better position? I have mix feelings regarding this.
Maybe Glen really didn't want to interview for the position.

Glenn did not want the position, just as diehardfan speculated. So it is easier for him to have the Saints block the opportunity than to come out and turn it down himself. This way, he can remain viable for other opportunities. This is not all that uncommon.

Not every job is good job. Payton may have saved Glenn from himself by blocking the interview. The new Bengals coach was a Rams assistant so Payton is giving him the finger on the slick.

Maybe Glen really didn't want to interview for the position.
I feel like our people are smart enough to know it would be a bad move if he did want to go there. I mean, he has roots in Nola, and has been there before and came back after leaving. Also, Ohio.

Glenn did not want the position, just as diehardfan speculated. So it is easier for him to have the Saints block the opportunity than to come out and turn it down himself. This way, he can remain viable for other opportunities. This is not all that uncommon.

Key term...Speculated.. How does anyone know if he didn't want to be interview? If he didn't want the job to begin with, why wouldn't he himself just say no to interview? Why does a team have to block an interview?

One thing...I may have mix feelings regarding the team blocking the interview, I do feel there are good reasons and intentions for Glenn from the team. Who knows. Maybe a bigger pay raise or future coordinator job with the team if Allen leaves.

Maybe, but if he does want a promotion and we are blocking them, then that’s kinda messed up. I get that teams can block interviews for their assistants, but a promotion is a promotion

You can't block a guy from interviewing for a promotion. Technically he would be making a lateral move because CB coach and DC are on the same tier.

Last edited:
Key term...Speculated.. How does anyone know if he didn't want to be interview? If he didn't want the job to begin with, why wouldn't he himself just say no to interview? Why does a team have to block an interview?
60minutes has a few league contracts, so its possible he actually knows. He was saying it is as someone else speculated, not that he himself was speculating. I take that he believes he knows that to be true.

You can't block a guy from interviewing for a promotion. Technically he would be making a lateral move because CB coach and DC are on the same tier.

While this is true, but becoming a DC brings more responsibilities, more money, a better title, and it helps builds one’s resume. That’s basically a promotion

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom