Bengals possibly switching to a 3-4 (1 Viewer)

To say they are considering change is still consistant with the possibility of a smokescreen. Until they put themselves in a situation where they are unable to field a 4-3 defense it is still a possibility, now if they make changes in the FA period that dictate that they won't have the personel to play a 4-3 then we might be able to say its not a "smokescreen".

Publicly announcing a potential change in defensive scheme from a 4-3 to a 3-4 just to use it as a smokescreen for the draft is, as Jeff Foxworthy would say, like buying a 747 to get free peanuts. Think about it. Defensive free agents looking at your team would now believe you are switching, so 4-3 guys steer clear and 3-4 guys come in. Then to get 4-3 guys to come in, you have to convince them you're lying. And if you don't sign them, I'm sure the word would get out on the smokescreen. It's just too much to trick a few teams from picking a guy like Ellis.

Both could potentially play DE in the 3-4. The Chargers have two big guys doing it.

As far as I know, DE's in a 3-4 are paid less then 4-3 DE's and are not as in demand at 4-3 ends. I can't see any 3-4 team taking Dorsey or Ellis only to make him change positions, bulk up, and play where that player would be enormously overpaid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom