Bengals possibly switching to a 3-4 (1 Viewer)

rlemieux

Who Dat?
Reaction score
Was just watching ESPN first take and they said the that Bengals are strongly considering switching to a 3-4. Assuming they do, does that help or hurt the Saints in the draft?

I think it hurts. With a 3-4, you need a big, dominant DT, which Dorsey AND Ellis have the potential to be.

I think it helps because Ellis is more of a 4-3 tackle then a NT and the Bengals wouldn't draft him

IMO, if you play a 3-4, the DL is much less important than the LB's. I don't think you use a top-10 pick on a DT. (Where did the Pats draft Wilfork?)

Then again, Ellis and Dorsey seem more like DE in a 3-4 scheme.

So, I don't know.:confused:

Of course it helps. While some prospects could shine in any scheme, others are more geared to one or another. If the team picking directly ahead of us is running a different scheme, they likely will be targetting different players than us for much of the draft.

Good (potential) news.

Actually, I think they would help us. The first piece of the puzzle of a 3-4 allignement is a big strong nose tackle, and both Ellis and Dorsey don't have the physical presence to take the nose tackle position. If they were picked by the bengals they might be playing DE, the same way Luis Castillo moved from tackle to end in San Diego.

Also, I think Gholston would be more attractive to them, to play outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. He has the characteristics to play that role well in the pro-game.

I could be wrong, but I thought Ellis and Dorsey both projected better as 3-tech DTs.

They are, I don't think either could or would handle the nose in a 3-4. Assuming they go to the 3 man front I think Domata Peko (6'3 320lbs) would handle the nose. Here are the other Dlinemen on the roster John Thorton (6'3 297), Jonathan Fanene (6'4 295), and Brian Robinson (6'4 305) and Frostee Rucker (6'3 280lbs). Most I assume would make the move to DE, with Robinson possibly playing both. Robert Geathers would be move to OLBer. They also said their is a chance Pollack comes back and he would be the other OLBer.

I would assume they would either be looking for and ILB (Dan Connnor?) or if Pollack can't come back a guy like Vernon Gholston might be the best choice.

If they're going to a 3-4 an edge rusher will be their top priority. I imagine Gholston will end up being #1 on their draft board.

Ellis nor Dorsey will help them in a 3/4 uless they make one of them the DE in the scheme... which they won't... so he we may have a shot at both of them.

What a sick decision the Saints FO would have to amke with those 2 on the board...

Yeah this helps us big time, I agree that Gholston would be there ideal pick.

Ellis though, is performing really well in Mobile and will probably have some great workouts. I don't think we'll have much of a chance at him.

It helps because a 3-4 defense is looking for different players from we are looking for with a 4-3 defense. I agree that teams like the Jets, Ravens and Bengals will look at Gholston as an OLB. As I stated in another post, I don't see Ellis as a 3-4 lineman--he seems too small to play nose and too short to play end. He's a prototypical 4-3 tackle. And Dorsey is better suited in a 4-3 than a 3-4. If there are any questions about Dorsey's health, Dorsey could fall to 10--especially with Ellis looking like a top 5 pick.

IMO, if you play a 3-4, the DL is much less important than the LB's. I don't think you use a top-10 pick on a DT. (Where did the Pats draft Wilfork?)

The Patriots drafted Wilfork at 1.18 right after we got Will Smith at 1.17. I remember it well because I was jubilant when Wilfork fell to us, and enraged when we passed to get Smith when we had two good DEs already. But Loomis and Haslett knew best, right? Wrong. Now Wilfork is the center of a SuperBowl defense and the Saints haven't been able to stop the run since.

The Patriots drafted Wilfork at 1.18 right after we got Will Smith at 1.17. I remember it well because I was jubilant when Wilfork fell to us, and enraged when we passed to get Smith when we had two good DEs already. But Loomis and Haslett knew best, right? Wrong. Now Wilfork is the center of a SuperBowl defense and the Saints haven't been able to stop the run since.

Wilfork is a completely different linemen than Ellis and Dorsey. I think Dorsey is closer to a 3-4 NT than Ellis, however neither are really built for it. Like I said earlier though, I would assume Peko would fill that role for them. Also the 9th pick is far to early to take a 3-4 DE. If you are drafting for defense in a 3-4 and you have a top 10 pick you would probably prefer to go OLBer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom