Bengals will franchise AJ Green (1 Viewer)

Well I understand your viewpoint, but I've yet to see any evidence that the Bengals haven't tried to open negotiations, so you may not be being entirely fair.

Meanwhile we are all to happy to assume the Saints are negotiating with Taysom in good confidence, but actually we don't have much evidence of that either.

Basically both teams are controlling their assets wisely, it's just that everyone's happy to slate the Bengals, because somehow they 'owe us' a crack at signing AJ Green? ?

I definitely preface both statements with:

"It's my understanding that" and "I hope that" haha.
Based on how we've treated our free agents previously, I feel like we do the right thing. Ingram being the exception. I feel we offered him what was fair value, his agent said they would test the market and we went out and got his replacement (jumped the gun a little).

Everything else has been above board, what we are allowed to see of the process anyways.

Everything I've heard/seen of the Bengals organization reminds me of the Skins. They can't get out of their own way and make really head scratching decisions.

But yes, most people secretly want to convert Taysom into a 1st rounder and would love for Green to test free agency and set up shop in the Big Easy.

Then I think we're having two different conversations. I haven't asked you what Green thinks. My question is what you would do as the team, now, in this situation, not at some hypothetical point in the past. And to me there is no doubt the team needs to see he can still play and they have the best option to do so in the form of a guaranteed one year deal.

Again, tell me you'd sign AJ Green to a large, multi year contract *now* and I'll be interested to know why. I like the idea of not prorating the bonus by the way, if you have cao room this year, but agree the Bengals won't be inclined to do so as the risk is high if Green again can't play significant football.

You keep changing your argument. ;)

First you said you hadn’t seen any indication that the Bengals had refused to fairly negotiate a long term deal.

So I provided you one.

Then you said “his tune may well have changed since last October given the fact he hasn't suited up at all since that point.”

So I provided to you evidence that a player who gets injured isn’t less likely to want financial security.

And now you’ve switched it back.

The bottom line is that the Bengals put themselves in this position. As they often do. Good teams put themselves in position to make decisions about players by using the cap to their advantage (see: Loomis, Patriots, etc).

The Bengals consistently do the opposite. Now, if Green signs his franchise tender, they will incur the entire hit in one year.

You keep changing your argument. ;)

First you said you hadn’t seen any indication that the Bengals had refused to fairly negotiate a long term deal.

So I provided you one.

Then you said “his tune may well have changed since last October given the fact he hasn't suited up at all since that point.”

So I provided to you evidence that a player who gets injured isn’t less likely to want financial security.

And now you’ve switched it back.

The bottom line is that the Bengals put themselves in this position. As they often do. Good teams put themselves in position to make decisions about players by using the cap to their advantage (see: Loomis, Patriots, etc).

The Bengals consistently do the opposite. Now, if Green signs his franchise tender, they will incur the entire hit in one year.
Oh I agree that I did step back from asking for the evidence he was disgruntled. You did your homework, albeit it's 5 months ago and a lot has changed since. He's played the good soldier in the time since.

But my other question to you is the same all along and remains unanswered. If you still don't know what it is, I won't insult you by repeating it a third time ?

I agree. He is worth it in his prime. Maybe they are in talks for a sign and trade and are just threatening this to get the agent to the table

I lost all Respect for them when they wouldn't trade him strictly bc they said "They weren't in the business of making other teams better"

What a joke of ownership.

So in their mind

Trying to build their own team, and further their own organization is less important then not giving another team an asset. Especially in a whole different conference.

How can you be so Rich, yet so stupid??

That's what happens when ownership has to much control.

That's why the Redskins will always be a mediocre franchise, just like the Bengals. Thats why the Dallas Cowboys are the 8-8 Kings of the NFL.

Oh I agree that I did step back from asking for the evidence he was disgruntled. You did your homework, albeit it's 5 months ago and a lot has changed since. He's played the good soldier in the time since.

But my other question to you is the same all along and remains unanswered. If you still don't know what it is, I won't insult you by repeating it a third time ?

Ha! I’m never insulted by anything on a message board. ;)

The answer is that franchising him now is the culmination of mismanaging the entire situation. You appear to be seeking a yes/no answer to a nuanced question.

As you’ve stated, he’s going to be 32. Had they worked out a deal LAST year, they could have spread out the cap hit in a way that was more beneficial to the team by taking advantage of a lost 2019 season.

Now, they’re stuck with the average salary of the top 5 WRs in the league. Even if they are seeking to trade him, teams will now be forced to either work out a long-term deal on Green’s terms without the benefit of what COULD have been a large 2019 cap hit, had the Bengals played this correctly.

Cincy also could have traded him at the deadline and gotten a lot more than they will now (because of the salary restrictions of the tag).

It would have been interesting to see Green hit FA to see if we made a push. And that may still happen. But this is more about marveling at how poorly the Bengals bungled a situation with one of their franchise’s best players of all-time. It’s remarkable how they consistently do the wrong thing.

Ha! I’m never insulted by anything on a message board. ;)

The answer is that franchising him now is the culmination of mismanaging the entire situation. You appear to be seeking a yes/no answer to a nuanced question.

As you’ve stated, he’s going to be 32. Had they worked out a deal LAST year, they could have spread out the cap hit in a way that was more beneficial to the team by taking advantage of a lost 2019 season.

Now, they’re stuck with the average salary of the top 5 WRs in the league. Even if they are seeking to trade him, teams will now be forced to either work out a long-term deal on Green’s terms without the benefit of what COULD have been a large 2019 cap hit, had the Bengals played this correctly.

Cincy also could have traded him at the deadline and gotten a lot more than they will now (because of the salary restrictions of the tag).

It would have been interesting to see Green hit FA to see if we made a push. And that may still happen. But this is more about marveling at how poorly the Bengals bungled a situation with one of their franchise’s best players of all-time. It’s remarkable how they consistently do the wrong thing.
Good to know.

We have to disagree on this one, as I'm not looking at the woulda coulda shoulda that interests you, I'm looking at the here and now.

The Bengals have done what makes most sense now to protect their asset and get another chance to see if he can contribute on a one year deal. That makes sense and, to me, anything else feels like people are just wishing he somehow became a free agent from a rather selfish Saints fanbase perspective.

I'd let Green walk, trade the #1 pick for two 1st rounders, and a heap more. Then draft one of these really good WR's in the draft among other things.

You don't trade the chance of picking the quarterback of your franchise for years to come.

You don't trade the chance of picking the quarterback of your franchise for years to come.
A franchise QB with nothing around him doesn't equate to a franchise QB going forward. There is no such thing as a sure thing with QB's

The Bengals have done what makes most sense now to protect their asset and get another chance to see if he can contribute on a one year deal. That makes sense and, to me, anything else feels like people are just wishing he somehow became a free agent from a rather selfish Saints fanbase perspective.

Yup.

Give him a year catching pretty Joe Burrow deep passes and then see how he feels about staying long term.

A franchise QB with nothing around him doesn't equate to a franchise QB going forward. There is no such thing as a sure thing with QB's

I'm pretty sure Burrow discussed this exact aspect with the Bengalls too.....no sense to have a star WR to throw to, if you end up on IR by week 3. Its just the media doesn't know the full details of his demands. But this move to franchise AJ Green tells me the Bengals have every intention to draft Burrow.....where that leaves the Saints to try to acquire him at any cost?

Darn it.....looks like my reasoning is winning the argument over my heart.......darn it again!

My thoughts too.

AJ Green's career kind of reminds me of former Texans Andre' Johnson. Quiet dudes who ball year in, year out but lack the supporting cast.
Exactly who I was thinking about

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom