Bennie Fowler: How the Saints WR landed in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1596924643305.png

By Kyle T. Moseley | SI

After the Saints sign a player, we would typically see Saints fans' comments to understand why Mickey Loomis decided to offer the player a contract. The NFL generally is the same as the real world. Players get tryouts and deals as a result of "who they know" on the team.

Networking, nepotism, and word of mouth are great to help someone land a job. I got my first job at a restaurant on St. Charles Street in New Orleans because of two friends' recommendations. My future employer trusted them. In WR Benny Fowler's case, the same was true for him. Two influential Saints players, QB Drew Brees and WR Emmanuel Sanders helped the journeyman receiver land a 1 year deal with New Orleans. But, how and why?

Emmanuel Sanders reminded the Saints press on Friday of the workout he and Drew Brees had several weeks ago. Drew flew out to Denver to meet and train with the Saints' offseason prize acquisition, Sanders. Brees needed another receiver to accompany Sanders during those workouts, and Sanders brought along his friend and former teammate, Bennie Fowler. According to Sanders, Drew Brees was impressed with Fowler. Enough for Brees to recommend to Fowler to the Saints and convince them to give him "a shot" during training camp, they did, and now Fowler is a Saint. ...

Full Story - SI

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom