Berkeley bans gender specific words (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I may be wrong but to me this is what people mean when they talk about when they talk about PC culture run amok

When did political correctness go from let’s not call mentally/physically challenged people retards anymore to let’s change the term manhole

Has anyone in the history of the world ever complained about the term manhole?

And getting rid of he and she causes some issues

“The lawyer went to consult with her client” turns into what?

The lawyer went to consult with their client?

That won’t work there is only one lawyer
=======================

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) — There will be no manholes in Berkeley, California. City workers will drop into “maintenance holes” instead.

Nothing will be manmade in the liberal city but “human-made.” And students at the University of California, Berkeley, will join “collegiate Greek system residences”rather than fraternities and sororities.

Berkeley leaders voted unanimously this week to replace about 40 gender-specific words in the city code with gender-neutral terms — an effort to be more inclusive that’s drawing both praise and scorn.

That means “manpower” will become “human effort” or “workforce,” while masculine and feminine pronouns like “she,” ‘‘her,” ‘‘he” and “him” will be replaced by “they”and “them,” according to the measure approved Tuesday by the City Council...........

Last edited:

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The natural gas phase-out ordinance was actually surprisingly non-controversial. According to the local reports, there was essentially no oppositon to this ordinance--even the representative from PG&E spoke in support of the new rule. I would have expected some of Berkeley's celebrity chefs (still annoyed about the foie gras ban!) to complain about not being able to cook with gas, but they all seemed to agree that the latest-generation electrical induction heating cookware systems actually work better than gas burners. Who knew?

(Caveat: I have seen a suggestion or two that people with pacemakers or defibrilators may have to be careful because of the magnetism used by induction heating. But the manufacturers insist there's no real risk. If you have non-magnetic pans or pots, on the other hand, you're S.O.L. )

As far as the gender-free language is concerned: Decades ago, my 1st-year civil procedure professor had a simple solution that facilitated preservation of singular-plural agreement --he just used "she/her/hers" as the gender-nonspecific pronoun whenever "he/him/his" would have been the traditional wording. Never heard anyone complain about it. Anyway, I admit the singular "they" does still grate a bit as I head into my eighth decade on this planet, but it's what we're all getting used to speaking these days out here on the Left Coast, so whatevs.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom