Berkeley bans gender specific words (1 Viewer)

Isn't "man", when used in the generic sense, short for "mankind" or "human"? Aren't women and "other" gender types part of mankind? Aren't they humans?

English is a dynamic language, the same word can have different meanings. Should we not refer to cranes (the lifting machines) as "cranes" because cranes (the birds) don't want there to be confusion?

I'm going to start calling them humanholes.

well now you have done it...now we have to outlaw the use of the words 'mankind' and 'human'

from now on it will be theykind

Isn't "man", when used in the generic sense, short for "mankind" or "human"? Aren't women and "other" gender types part of mankind? Aren't they humans?
Well, look at it from the woman side. They've played second fiddle to men since the invention of sexual divisions two billion years ago. Why should the male pronouns symbolize all of humanity? It's just more symbolic shelfing of woman's importance.

Or so it could be argued.

well now you have done it...now we have to outlaw the use of the words 'mankind' and 'human'

from now on it will be theykind

Finestkind.

It's one city in America, that's sort of famous for stuff like this.

Meanwhile, we have entire states that are still doing things like trying to outlaw abortion, prevent gay marriage, limit birth control, and otherwise trying to control all sorts of aspects of people's lives under a banner of "Freedom," whilst turning a blind eye to massive and systemic inequalities of justice and opportunity that they actually would prefer to maintain.

"Bad things happen in places so let's not talk about this thing."

Well, look at it from the woman side. They've played second fiddle to men since the invention of sexual divisions two billion years ago. Why should the male pronouns symbolize all of humanity? It's just more symbolic shelfing of woman's importance.

Or so it could be argued.

It’s not the same word.

“Look at all those leaves on the ground”
“I don’t like it when my ride leaves without me.”

They are laying the groundwork for the coming gynocracy.

Last edited:
But "ovular" isn't neutral at all. It is inherently implicit matriarchy.

I agree. I think the logic behind the counter is totally flawed.

"I object to this gendered noun on principle and I think we should change it... to this other gendered noun"

:freak7:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom