Berkeley bans gender specific words (1 Viewer)

The natural gas phase-out ordinance was actually surprisingly non-controversial. According to the local reports, there was essentially no oppositon to this ordinance--even the representative from PG&E spoke in support of the new rule. I would have expected some of Berkeley's celebrity chefs (still annoyed about the foie gras ban!) to complain about not being able to cook with gas, but they all seemed to agree that the latest-generation electrical induction heating cookware systems actually work better than gas burners. Who knew?

(Caveat: I have seen a suggestion or two that people with pacemakers or defibrilators may have to be careful because of the magnetism used by induction heating. But the manufacturers insist there's no real risk. If you have non-magnetic pans or pots, on the other hand, you're S.O.L. )

As far as the gender-free language is concerned: Decades ago, my 1st-year civil procedure professor had a simple solution that facilitated preservation of singular-plural agreement --he just used "she/her/hers" as the gender-nonspecific pronoun whenever "he/him/his" would have been the traditional wording. Never heard anyone complain about it. Anyway, I admit the singular "they" does still grate a bit as I head into my eighth decade on this planet, but it's what we're all getting used to speaking these days out here on the Left Coast, so whatevs.

Last edited:
25 years from now, this thread will be used to out the bigots defending their manholes (sarcasm).

The easily offended with way too much time on their hands.
Lol

The use of nonbinary pronouns are fine. I am wary, though, of an eventual move to make gender-specific pronouns illegal. I am hopeful that makes me paranoid.

The use of nonbinary pronouns are fine. I am wary, though, of an eventual move to make gender-specific pronouns illegal. I am hopeful that makes me paranoid.
The Spanish speakers taking the state will probably not care and revoke it.

Manual labor?
Mankind?

What do you do? Anyone who uses the term "latinx", you smack 'em across the face. That's what you do.
When it comes to my personal conflict resolution, I am and always have been a pacifist.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom