Best 1st rounders in Saints history (1 Viewer)

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
Saw that recent Ellis thread, and someone mentioned how the majority of our last first round picks rookie contracts were not renewed. So I ask who are the best 1st rounders in Saints history?

Archie Manning
Chuck Muncie
Wes Chandler
George Rodgers(questionable)
Willie Roaf
Joe Johnson
Will Smith
And of cource Big Deuce.

Cam Jordan can be on this list, and I hope his rookie contract is renewed after 2014 if he keeps performing the way he has. As far as I remember Will Smith was the last 1st round pick to have his rookie contract renewed.

Who else? From recent memory it has been nothing but disappointment or less then what we expected.

Saw that recent Ellis thread, and someone mentioned how the majority of our last first round picks rookie contracts were not renewed. So I ask who are the best 1st rounders in Saints history?

Archie Manning
Chuck Muncie
Wes Chandler
George Rodgers(questionable)
Willie Roaf
Joe Johnson
Will Smith
And of cource Big Deuce.

Who else? From recent memory it has been nothing but disappointment or less then what we expected.
Louisiana Tech's Pro Football HOF and 11+ year All Pro Willie Roaf by far.

Willie Roaf in my opinion is the greatest 1st rounder in our history. Next would be Archie, and Deuce.

Bum picked George Rodgers in the #1 spot and left Lawrence Taylor on the board. That could have been the ticket.

Since Bum failed us then, then I guess Roaf is our best first rounder.

Wayne Martin was a Saint his whole career, so that says something. Not the greatest, but he was one of those 1st rounders that didn't fail? Or did he? An old timer would have to answer that.

Effect on the franchise (not just personal ability)?

Deuce--he was still running out of the tunnel (notwithstanding fact that only for support) and firing up the crowd during our Super Bowl run, which is the most important time in Saints history.

Wayne Martin was a Saint his whole career, so that says something. Not the greatest, but he was one of those 1st rounders that didn't fail? Or did he? An old timer would have to answer that.

Wayne Martin is probably the most underrated Saint of All-Time. He didn't get the national attention he deserved & was overshadowed by the Dome Patrol in his early years. But he was rock-solid. Played three different positions throughout his career & played them well (5-tech, 4-3 DE, & 3-Tech).

Wayne Martin - second only to Rickey Jackson for sacks -- 82.5. He was my favorite Saints player for many years. Always consistent and reliable. A very humble beast!

Wayne Martin - second only to Rickey Jackson for sacks -- 82.5. He was my favorite Saints player for many years. Always consistent and reliable. A very humble beast!
You just describe Pro Football HOF and Saints Willie Roaf to a tee. Good grief guys we only have 2 HOF'ers from the Saints. Besides being a HOF'er, Roaf had more All Pro and Pro Bowls than any Saints player as well. Wayne Martin nor any of the others come close. The title of the thread is Best 1st rounders in Saints history not your favorite. And that is La Tech's Willie Roaf hands down.

what is wrong with yall? the best picks came from ole miss

Attachments

• Archie_Manning_of_the_New_Orleans_Saints%20.jpg
    Archie_Manning_of_the_New_Orleans_Saints%20.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
what is wrong with yall? the best picks came from ole miss

I think it's hard for younger Saints fans to say he is the greatest 1st rounder in Saints history, but I can not argue with that. Willie Roaf may have the All Pro's, and the HOF, but Archie stayed here nearly his whole career, and ran for his life that whole time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom