Best Available Free Agents for the New Orleans Saints (2 Viewers)

Any corner depth and linebacker depth is much needed

Will also need to address DE with davenports situation

LB: ogletree
CB: Dennard, breland

No, no we can't..

We don't have cap space this year, and we already have a shirt ton of dead money added to next years cap, that already has us pushing up against the cap for next season
I’m not usually one to be like hey let’s go get 9 new fas with an imaginary cap. Every year we are up against it but what I have learned is that if the saints want someone they make it work. We were barely under the cap two years ago and we went hard after Suh. Just saying!

After some thought I was looking at who we had at DE on the roster. Really who would you trust if God forbid Jordan or Davenport miss any length of time due to injury. We have Trey Hendrickson that finally started to show some promise last season and Mario Edwards Jr. who is listed as a DE on the roster, We also have Spence who didn't even see the field and Granderson that played sparingly.
I would feel a lot better about the DE position if we brought in one of Clowney, Ansah or Griffin. Griffin would be my choice, he caused lot of havoc against us in the playoff loss to the Vikings. We need someone with experience to be in the DE rotation.

Theyve got some really good players left on the market.

After some thought I was looking at who we had at DE on the roster. Really who would you trust if God forbid Jordan or Davenport miss any length of time due to injury. We have Trey Hendrickson that finally started to show some promise last season and Mario Edwards Jr. who is listed as a DE on the roster, We also have Spence who didn't even see the field and Granderson that played sparingly.
I would feel a lot better about the DE position if we brought in one of Clowney, Ansah or Griffin. Griffin would be my choice, he caused lot of havoc against us in the playoff loss to the Vikings. We need someone with experience to be in the DE rotation.
You could make the 'what if someone gets injured' argument for every position on the roster. You can't realistically go three deep at every position with quality starters, mainly due to scarcity and in this case cost. That's why we have our depth players who are reasonably cheap.

No, no we can't..

We don't have cap space this year, and we already have a shirt ton of dead money added to next years cap, that already has us pushing up against the cap for next season

Yep.
At some point we’ve got to stop kicking the can down the road. I presume that will be the moment Drew hangs em up.

You could make the 'what if someone gets injured' argument for every position on the roster. You can't realistically go three deep at every position with quality starters, mainly due to scarcity and in this case cost. That's why we have our depth players who are reasonably cheap.
You said it right, cheap back-ups. But are they quality back-ups. Could they come in if someone is injured and see little to no drop off in play. That's why I believe we need at least one more proven vet at DE. We could probably get one of Griffen, Clowney or Ansah on a decent 1 or 2 yr. deal. Cam has been campaigning for Dion Jordan, that ought to tell us something.

If we do go after a LB in FA, I'm hoping we go after Alec Ogletree. He's still got some good upside. Very good against the run and still has some sideline to sideline speed and can drop into coverage.

To me Ogletree would be at least as good as Klein was last year. That's his floor. The guy has been a tackling machine his entire career. Seems like he's been around forever but he's only 28, two years younger than Demario Davis.

Ogletree is known for his run support but he has a surprising number of passes defended and Ints. In his seven year career he's recorded 57 passes defended and 12 Ints. To put that into perspective Demario Davis has been in the league eight years and he has 29 passes defended and 2 Ints. And of those 29 passes defended, 12 came last season alone.

Now I know those stats don't tell the whole story but it would seem that Ogletree is able to at least get in the way of a pass from time to time. That would be beneficial to this defense.

Anyone that wants Ogletree is just clinging to a once big name. He has been terrible for a few years and we'd be better off bringing back Colton Jumper or some XFL guys.

Anyone that wants Ogletree is just clinging to a once big name. He has been terrible for a few years and we'd be better off bringing back Colton Jumper or some XFL guys.

The entire Giants defense has been a dumpster fire. I can't help but think a change of scenery would help. Perhaps playing alongside more talent could help him out? It's helped the other LBs they've brought in the past few years.

I’m not usually one to be like hey let’s go get 9 new fas with an imaginary cap. Every year we are up against it but what I have learned is that if the saints want someone they make it work. We were barely under the cap two years ago and we went hard after Suh. Just saying!

That's one guy..

Right now next season we have about 19 million in space available...

Our free agents include:
Demario
Kamara
Warford
Rankins
Hill
Janoris
Marcus W

That's not including likely having to give record deals to both Ram and Latt..

If we kick to much more down, we will lose alot of good/great players because we will simply run out of money

That's one guy..

Our free agents include:
Demario
Kamara
Warford
Rankins
Hill
Janoris
Marcus W

If we kick to much more down, we will lose alot of good/great players because we will simply run out of money
Janoris Jenkins is already on a 3 year deal. Seems to be on par with most offseasons. I feel like they have everything under control.

Janoris Jenkins is already on a 3 year deal. Seems to be on par with most offseasons. I feel like they have everything under control.

His cap hit is 14.2 next year, no way he will be here with that, so that's either more dead money, or another extension..

And yeah, it's on par with most offseasons in the form of money available, we are running out of guys to restructure to free up more space though

You said it right, cheap back-ups. But are they quality back-ups. Could they come in if someone is injured and see little to no drop off in play. That's why I believe we need at least one more proven vet at DE. We could probably get one of Griffen, Clowney or Ansah on a decent 1 or 2 yr. deal. Cam has been campaigning for Dion Jordan, that ought to tell us something.
Lack of money and a non-starting role on offer are both reasons not to be able to realistically sign such players. Although pass rushers are hanging around in FA and you can only hope one gets desperate.

But Cam tries to recruit all sorts of players, including Newton of all people. It doesn't mean anything.

That's one guy..

Our free agents include:
Demario
Kamara
Warford
Rankins
Hill
Janoris
Marcus W

I said sign him to a 1 yr deal. Let him play his arse off while trying to get a big deal then let him walk and get a 3-4th round comp pick. No money for next yr

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom