Best available job for new head coaches in nfl? (1 Viewer)

Green Bay, as others have pointed out, is a storied franchise. It is one of the historic teams and I think even with the recent changes/departures, they still have a solid group of directors/scouts in player personnel.

But right now, the Browns have a better roster and for that reason might be the better job though it is very close--closer than people might imagine. Oddly enough, the Browns' front office has some talented former Green Bay scouting personnel including Highsmith and Wolf. That's a good thing because while the roster is better than Green Bay's, they have critical needs at OT, LB, WR and CB. You could also argue that they have needs at TE and DT. The Packers did really well with the drafting of Jaire Alexander and it'll be interesting to see how Josh Jackson continues to develop. I think Kyler Fackrell has really come on but they will need help inside and at the edge. They will have three picks in the top 2 rounds and will have to hit on all of those picks. DT also will be a key need since Mo Wilkerson only had a 1-year deal and has spent the majority of the season on IR. Rodgers is overrated as the supposed best QB in the league but he's still an elite QB. If a new coach can build around him, they can succeed quickly.

Until Cleveland wins a Super Bowl, itll always have that toxic reputation.
The Browns are 2005 Saints at this point.

Cleveland over Green Bay for sure. Rodgers is overrated, 35 years old, and injury prone.

Green Bay and trade Rogers for two first round picks. Cleveland will always be the Factory of Sadness. They have had 10 head coaches in the past 18 years, not exactly job security compared to Packers 3, including the temporary coach now. Green Bay can rebuild and become a powerhouse again, Cleveland will be doing good to hit .500.

Jets would be intriguing if they fired HC and were able to sign Leveon Bell in offseason. I believe they have a ton of cap and can mold a team around a few pieces already in place. NY market is never to be undermined.

As a competitor, I’d take the browns because it has so much upside and the fan base is starving.

Cleveland over Green Bay for sure. Rodgers is overrated, 35 years old, and injury prone.

I agree on personnel, but something is wrong with the culture up there. Although I haven't heard much about the owner or GM, in order for the Browns to be that bad that long, there must be a problem with 1 or both of them.

I agree on personnel, but something is wrong with the culture up there. Although I haven't heard much about the owner or GM, in order for the Browns to be that bad that long, there must be a problem with 1 or both of them.

The culture is changing. They have a relatively new owner (2012) who is settling in and as of 2017 have a new GM in John Dorsey who built the Packers and more recently the Chiefs. The inherited worst coach ever Hugh Jackson has been shown the door and the team is already playing better.

While I know that the Browns organization has to go through all the required steps when it comes to hiring a new head coach, I truly wouldn't be surprised if Gregg Williams finishes strong as interim and officially gets the gig. Unless for some reason he doesn't want to be the head coach, they could probably do a lot worse.

Last edited:

Take a look at the list of the Browns starting QBs since 1999, and that will tell you all you need to know as to why they have been so bad. Granted they have had some poor coaching and other questionable moves over the years... but the absence of even a serviceable NFL caliber QB is the #1 reason they have sucked out-loud all these years.

Baker Mayfield looks like he will AT LEAST be a solid NFL-caliber starting QB, so the arrow is pointing up more so than it has since a young Bernie Kosar was under center.

Absolutely NOT Cleveland. They've had young, outstanding prospects every year for as long as I can remember. Every draft, I say to myself, "Let's see what promising young athletes can have their careers ruined this year, by being drafted by Cleveland." I don't know what it is about them, but they have the unique ability to breed mediocrity out of excellence.

Cleveland for me, and it is not close.

Potential Franchise QB in Baker Mayfield. (Rookie)
Franchise RB in Nick Chubb. (Rookie)
Franchise DE in Myles Garrett. (2nd year)
Franchise CB in Denzel Ward. (Rookie)

Over $80,000,000 in cap space.

More than 10 picks in the 2019 draft, five of them being in the first four rounds.

If you're a coach, you can go to Cleveland and mold that team into whatever you want it to be.

If you go to Green Bay, you will always be a slave to Aaron Rodgers.

This is a great post - I would add that the Browns have one of the most dedicated fan-bases anywhere.

While I know that the Browns organization has to go through all the required steps when it comes to hiring a new head coach, I truly wouldn't be surprised if Gregg Williams finishes strong as interim and officially gets the gig. Unless for some reason he does want to be the head coach, they could probably do a lot worse.

Does, or doesn't?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom