Best BlueRay player - except the PS3/4 (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations on the best BlueRay player. I sold my PS3 last month and I need a replacement player. I'm looking for the following features:

1080p output (4k support optional)
Required Online apps: Netflix, Youtube, Pandora, Amazon Prime,
An HTML 5 web browser would be nice but not required. (for Aereo access)
DLNA support would be nice but not required

I'm eventually going to get an XBox One or PS4. At that time this device will just be moved to another room but I still need something to watch stuff online and play blueray disks..

Will consider device combos if ya'll have suggestions- (ex: BlueRay player + Apple TV) but would rather keep this as one device.

Oppo is generally considered to make the best high end Blu-ray players. I'd look into their models and see if any fits what you need.

So far, all Blu-Ray players I've tried have extremely slow and frustratingly unresponsive menus. Except for the PS3 - the PS3 was your best bet. Sorry.

Edited to Add:

The Roku 3 is the best streaming device I've owned, and those other slow-menued Blu-Ray players all play Blu-Rays really well, so if you are OK with a combo of devices as you mentioned, I might suggest going this route - just be sure to research loading times with Blu-Ray players, as that is typically what sets a cheap player and a quality player apart. Other than life-span.

Stay away from Samsung in my experience. Got a one year old Sony that plays everything you throw at it. Plenty of the online apps.

I've been happy with my Sony -- WiFi, handles just about every streaming app out there (the ones you mentioned, definitely), 1080p. I can't remember the model no., but when I get home I'll look it up and update the post.

So far, all Blu-Ray players I've tried have extremely slow and frustratingly unresponsive menus. Except for the PS3 - the PS3 was your best bet. Sorry.

Edited to Add:

The Roku 3 is the best streaming device I've owned, and those other slow-menued Blu-Ray players all play Blu-Rays really well, so if you are OK with a combo of devices as you mentioned, I might suggest going this route - just be sure to research loading times with Blu-Ray players, as that is typically what sets a cheap player and a quality player apart. Other than life-span.
I second that motion.

I have two Sony DVD players with streaming capability. The bluray is excellent while the streaming not so much.
I've upgraded my entire internet equipment, speed and the best coverage I could buy.
Didn't improve the streaming one bit. (many hundreds of dollars later) I even tried hard wired.

I also have two Roku 3's and they are the bomb diggity. Fast as lightning and no issues with buffering.

People really still watch things from disk? Not totally sarcastic. I just don't get how it's not just a niche or something only for folks that live in the boonies without good Internet.

People really still watch things from disk? Not totally sarcastic. I just don't get how it's not just a niche or something only for folks that live in the boonies without good Internet.

If I really like a movie I still buy it. Especially if it's one I know I'll watch fairly often. Besides, some things aren't available for streaming,

I rip all mine to my NAS and watch them from that, but yes, they still come from disc. There is no streaming option that comes anywhere close to blu-ray in terms of picture quality.

Yea, even a techie like me is a bit old fashioned with some things.

Heck I even use 100 year old hand planes in my workshop.. :)

I have that Panasonic listed earlier in the thread. It starts up real fast, something in the settings, I think it uses a little more energy like that but its awesome and has alot of apps.

i would go to the library and check out consumer reports magazines. they usually do reviews on technology items every so often. however, since dvd is fairly mature at this point the reviews for them might be more than a year old.

Heck if it's reviews he's after he could save the gas and just visit the avs forums but I'd imagine Rick already knows that ... :mwink:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom