Best Bottles of wine (as in not in a box) for $15.00 - $30.00 (1 Viewer)

Ctrl+P for MrCorkDork's list.

We should have a "what wine are you drinking tonight" thread.

Tonight: Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2005 "Vinetta". It's 68% Cab S, 14% Merlot, 11% Petit Verdot, 5% Malbec, 2% Cab Franc. I've had blends that were 2 or 3 different grapes but never 5, so I had to try it. $9.99 (DC grocery prices). I am far from confident describing wines, especially something "Bordeaux-inspired", but:

It has the nice deep color and higher tannin levels typical of a cab s. It would go better with dinner than by itself. It's average in that it lacks a distintive character, even a little bland, but thick on the tongue. If it went on sale, I might get it again. It has a little bit of a sour taste, not like it is bad, but like you would get from an orange.

My cheap house wine: Trapiche Malbec Mendoza Argentina.

wine is an individual taste -- but there are lots of good wine in that price range -- i like red wine and red wine from chile is always very good for the price -- for white wine australia is a good value ==

Conundrum is very good, just don't let the screw cap turn you off. Be sure to sniff it!

I like Conundrum as well. A coworker of mine who travels in higher class circles told me that there is a shortage of cork and as a result wineries have to change to the synthetic or screw top. Many better wine makers have chosen the screw top because it can be made to breathe properly like a cork whereas the synthetic cannot.

I had Le Creama Cab Sav and Lindemans (sp?) Chardonney which were both better than I expected, I plan to open a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Mertiage (Cab sav-Merlot-Cab Franc) 2004 later this week, or this weekend, looking forward to it...

Shotfire is a great Shiraz, but it is a bit pricey as far as shiraz's go. Still < 20 though

Barefoot is the best value for your buck. Period. Don't get their merlot, but their shiraz and cabernet are a favorite of my wife and me.

Shotfire is a great Shiraz, but it is a bit pricey as far as shiraz's go. Still < 20 though

I agree. if you can find it (Matherne's in BR carries it), Terra Barossa Shiraz from the same vintner, Thorn-Clarke, is also very good and around $10

Free your mind and the rest will follow....

Attachments

• wine_no_flash.jpg
    wine_no_flash.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
My wife and I both like a good Gewürztraminer. You can pick up the Fetzer brand for around $15, I believe.

A few things that come to mind that I've recently tasted...

Basically any Cotes de Castillon 2005 Bordeaux. For under $20 you can get something that tastes like Bordeaux but is accessible while young with rich and deep fruit qualities.

Elk Cove Pinot Gris $14.99. Very good for it's price.

Marques de Caceres Rioja Gran Reserva 2000.

Ancien Chardonnay Carneros

Coudelet de Beaucastel Rouge 2005 - This is a great buy under $30.

Chappelet Mountain Cuvee - Napa Red Blend

Chappelet Merlot Napa

Cellars Can Blau - Spanish red blend that is mighty tasty for $10.99 - 92 points from Parker.

A few things that come to mind that I've recently tasted...

Basically any Cotes de Castillon 2005 Bordeaux. For under $20 you can get something that tastes like Bordeaux but is accessible while young with rich and deep fruit qualities.

Elk Cove Pinot Gris $14.99. Very good for it's price.

Marques de Caceres Rioja Gran Reserva 2000.

Ancien Chardonnay Carneros

Coudelet de Beaucastel Rouge 2005 - This is a great buy under $30.

Chappelet Mountain Cuvee - Napa Red Blend

Chappelet Merlot Napa

Cellars Can Blau - Spanish red blend that is mighty tasty for $10.99 - 92 points from Parker.

Sure come strolling in here with the know-it-all attitude. Like you know more than us on wine. :hihi:

It looks like you like whites. Look for Spanish Albarinos. the vintner doesn't matter most are good to outstanding. $10-15/bottle sometimes cheaper.

Bumping this thread...

Went to August the other week and had some Acacia Pinot Noir. It was the best Pinot Noir I have tasted yet.

Another good cheap Pinot Noir is from the Mirassou Winery...

Anybody wanna suggest a good bottle of Pinot Noir or Cab. Sauv. for under $20?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom