Best boudin in Louisiana? (1 Viewer)

Rouses now carries "The Best Stop" Boudin, its in the section with the sausage, my dad told me they are usually sold out but we were visiting with him this weekend for a crawfish boil and I stopped at the one in Covington and they had plenty.

Not sure how I missed this one before, but Don's is the correct answer. We did a blind boudin taste off with a dozen friends and picked up 5 lb packs from the top contenders: Billy's, Ray's, Best Stop, Don's and a few others I don't remember now. Don's was in the top-2 of everyone that judged. Billy's and Ray's both did well, but Don's was consistently selected at the top.

Not sure how I missed this one before, but Don's is the correct answer. We did a blind boudin taste off with a dozen friends and picked up 5 lb packs from the top contenders: Billy's, Ray's, Best Stop, Don's and a few others I don't remember now. Don's was in the top-2 of everyone that judged. Billy's and Ray's both did well, but Don's was consistently selected at the top.
Jerry Lee's in Baton Rouge is my favorite boudin by a fairly large margin.

Bourgeois in Thibadeaux is by far the best crawfish boudin but it is seasonal and their regular boudin is just slightly above average.

Everything else I've tried is competing for 2nd place but there are a lot of good places in SW La. Billy's is good but overrated IMO.

You dont say....:scratch: lol

Jerry Lee's and Ronnie's if Im not mistaken Ive tried both and both are good. But that was wayyy outta the way for me to go. Thats probalby the ONLY 2 places in BR to get it.
We have a Jerry Lee's & Wayne Lee's in Mississippi. I've never tried theirs, but I will now. I hang my head in shame by saying I usually get mine from Rouses.

Bonus points to Ronnie's for having boudin made with cauliflower rice for the low carb crowd. Not sure who else is doing that

Bonus points to Ronnie's for having boudin made with cauliflower rice for the low carb crowd. Not sure who else is doing that
Kartchner's Grocery in Krotz Springs also does this. They have a massive assortment of great stuff. The boudin is above average but doesn't really stand out past that to me.

their balls are tasty.

I must have missed this thread.

My favorites...

1. Don's Specialty Meats - Carencro and Scott. As if their regular Boudin isn't good enough (and it is), try their smoked Boudin. Yum!
2. T-Boy's - Mamou & Eunice (been a while, but I liked it a whole lot and remember it quite fondly.)
3. Kirk's Boudin - Carencro - Found at Mouton's Groc. and other mom & pop stores, and of course Kirk Martin's slaughterhouse in Carencro where it is made. Nearly all meat, no grizzle, little or no rice, and delicious. Great option if you are watching carbs,too. Not to be confused with Kirk's U-Need-a-Butcher in Lafayette, which I have not tried.
4. Best Stop - Scott. Used to be #1 in my book, until some of these others came along. My issue with it was too many grizzle chunks, too often.
5. Billy's Boudin off I-49, Lafayette (or their Locations in Scott & Opelousas). It's good!
6. Alexander's Specialty Meats - Lafayette. You can get hot or mild. Be careful with the Hot. ça fait chaud
7. Ray's Groc. in Opelousas . Ray is proud of his recipe. I like it most of the time, just not enough to go out of my way, so I get it when it is convenient.
8. Johnson's Boucaniere - Lafayette

Honorable mentions: Billeauds in Broussard, Chop's in Broussard, Menards Cajun Grocery in Duson, NuNu's in Milton, Comeaux's in Lafayette (Their seafood Boudin more than the regular), and Boudin King in Jennings, which is not as good as it used to be.

Best Boudin Balls - Billy's. Mike's Country Store in Duson has excellent Boudin Balls also, as does Menard's below.
Best Pistolette's - Menards Cajun Groc on Highway 90 between Scott and Duson. I like their Crab Pistolette's best, though their shrimp and crawfish are excellent too. Pretty decent plate lunches also.
Best Cracklin's - Best Stop in Scott.

I live 3 miles from Don's in Carencro, 5 miles from Billy's off I-49, 5 miles from the place that I buy Kirk's from (Mouton's), 7 miles from Alexander's, 9 miles from Ray's and 12 miles from Best Stop. Suffice to say I am in Boudin heaven, and I LOVE boudin.

Just wanted to mention because I saw posts lauding their boudin... Janise's is about 3 miles from my house in Sunset, and though I shop there, I am not of a fan of their boudin, at all!

I've never tasted a good link of Boudin made outside of like west of Jennings, east of Henderson, north of Ville Platte, or south of Franklin, and I've tried many. Not saying there isn't any, It just gets real hard to find. Most of the good stuff made is near Lafayette,

Nothing like a good link of Boudin chased with a pint of Borden's chocolate milk. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :hihi:

My favorites...

1. Don's Specialty Meats - Carencro and Scott. As if their regular Boudin isn't good enough (and it is), try their smoked Boudin. Yum!
2. T-Boy's - Mamou & Eunice (been a while, but I liked it a whole lot and remember it quite fondly.)
3. Kirk's Boudin - Carencro - Found at Mouton's Groc. and other mom & pop stores, and of course Kirk Martin's slaughterhouse in Carencro where it is made. Nearly all meat, no grizzle, little or no rice, and delicious. Great option if you are watching carbs,too. Not to be confused with Kirk's U-Need-a-Butcher in Lafayette, which I have not tried.
4. Best Stop - Scott. Used to be #1 in my book, until some of these others came along. My issue with it was too many grizzle chunks, too often.
5. Billy's Boudin off I-49, Lafayette (or their Locations in Scott & Opelousas). It's good!
6. Alexander's Specialty Meats - Lafayette. You can get hot or mild. Be careful with the Hot. ça fait chaud
7. Ray's Groc. in Opelousas . Ray is proud of his recipe. I like it most of the time, just not enough to go out of my way, so I get it when it is convenient.

Honorable mentions: Billeauds in Broussard, Chop's in Broussard, Menards Cajun Grocery in Duson, NuNu's in Milton, Comeaux's in Lafayette (Their seafood Boudin more than the regular), and Boudin King in Jennings, which is not as good as it used to be.

Best Boudin Balls - Billy's. Mike's Country Store in Duson has excellent Boudin Balls also, as does Menard's below.
Best Pistolette's - Menards Cajun Groc on Highway 90 between Scott and Duson. I like their Crab Pistolette's best, though their shrimp and crawfish are excellent too. Pretty decent plate lunches also.

I live 3 miles from Don's in Carencro, 5 miles from Billy's off I-49, 5 miles from the place that I buy Kirk's from (Mouton's), 7 miles from Alexander's, 9 miles from Ray's and 12 miles from Best Stop. Suffice to say I am in Boudin heaven, and I LOVE boudin.

Just wanted to mention because I saw posts lauding their boudin... Janise's is about 3 miles from my house in Sunset, and though I shop there, I am not of a fan of their boudin, at all!

I've never tasted a good link of Boudin made outside of like west of Jennings, east of Henderson, North of Ville Platte, or south of Franklin, and I've tried many. Not saying there isn't any, It just gets real hard to find. Most of the good stuff made is near Lafayette,

Nothing like a good link of Boudin chased with a pint of Borden's chocolate milk. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :hihi:
This list is 100% accurate. While Best Stop is still my favorite overall, I do like that Don's and Billy's have less grizzle chunks and sticks together better for balls. I also like that you can get mini-links from Billy's.

I also agree that Best Stop has the best cracklins. I don't get over to Scott very often anymore, but I do order a large shipment from Best Stop once a year to stock my freezer. I always get a couple of bags of cracklins, too, and my wife, who's not a cajun and doesn't really like spicy food, finishes them off before I even get home most of the time.

My favorites...

I've never tasted a good link of Boudin made outside of like west of Jennings, east of Henderson, North of Ville Platte, or south of Franklin, and I've tried many. Not saying there isn't any, It just gets real hard to find. Most of the good stuff made is near Lafayette,

Great list. I haven't tried Kirk's or Alexander's, tried to in the weeks after Hurricane Laura but they were closed for some time.

I too haven't had a good link of Boudin outside of SW La, with the lone exception being Jerry Lee's on the north side of Baton Rouge and ironically, it's the best I've eaten. I've had some in north La and Ms that should be outlawed. Jerry Lee's also has some of the best tasso. They do everything really good but the regular boudin and tasso really stand out as exceptional and the andouille is really quite good.

I'll also dare anyone to try the crawfish boudin from Bourgeous in Thibodaux and claim they have had better. I can understand how some prefer regular boudin from one place over another but the crawfish boudin is typically a more expensive, less tasty novely item but Bourgeous' version is just mind blowing good. Don't confuse it with the shrimp boudin, it's just not that good. They also have some of the best beef jerky I've ever eaten.

Don's is probably the best overall cajun meats place in the world. Everything they do is among the best. Kartchner's has a pretty amazing selection and everything is really good but nothing is exceptional and it's just so damn far out the way. Jerry Lee's doesn't have a huge selection but everything they do is good and their location is just really inconvienent, even if you are in Baton Rouge. Bourgeous is also a really good butcher with great beef and pork cuts but they are pricey. Still want to try Alexander's.

I'll have to give the pistolette's from Meynards a try. I love a good pistollete but the quality and taste vary so much from place to place I'm hesitant to order from most places.

Swing through Carencro and stop at Don's with an empty ice chest. Fill it with boudin and a bit of whatever else they in the meat case. If there is room left over and you're up for a drive to LaPlace, swing by Jacob's on Airline Hwy and top it off with andouille.

I hate all of you. There's not a decent link of sausage in this entire god**** state. These poor ******** think that Hillshire Farm is the best there is. I don't feed my dog that stuff.
FWIW this was from when I lived in Tampa. I did find some very good chorizo in Phoenix. Now that I'm in FTW, I might as well be back in Florida.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom