Best Broadway Soundtrack (1 Viewer)

Hamilton is like musical crack. Once you listen to it, you’re hooked. I can’t get it out of my head

My daughter knows it word for word...even the parts that go over her head. Nothing like hearing your 11 year old daughter sing, "Brrrah, brraaah I am Hercules Mulligan Up in it, lovin' it, yes I heard ya mother said come again!"

Surprising her for her twelfth birthday, we're going to go see it while we're in London. It will be interesting to see how an English audience responds to it versus an American one.

I have very little knowledge of Broadway, but I've checked in a couple of times and am surprised to see no mention of Grease. It's more contemporary, but it has some great music.

Edit: I would have loved to see Amadeus on Broadway. No better music than that

So I'm speaking from a position of ignorance (I haven't heard the entire Hamilton soundtrack) but the three or four "songs" I have heard wouldn't crack the top 20 of musical soundtracks. It's possible that there are some deep cuts that are far better than what they roll out at the Tony's or whatever, but I doubt it. It's the most overrated musical soundtrack I've encountered in my 30 or so years of musical awareness.

And Godspell >>>> JCS

Wow...that's pretty impressive. I've heard of it, but haven't had a chance to see it. Your kid's school performance sounds amazing! I want to see THAT, LOL.

For some reason, I thought you had younger kids. Do you have one around 11?
13 and 17.

Well, I have only seen one musical... I saw Cats on Broadway... had to go... fiancee at the time wanted to see it... I didn't really see what the big deal was... they had a bar... then there was a long intermission... my ex's friends were driving me insane... I shed a tear when Grizabella sang Memory.

That's the extent of my Broadway musical experience.

Now, if you are talking soundtrack alone, even if it took a while to get to Broadway, Tommy.

Last edited:
So I'm speaking from a position of ignorance (I haven't heard the entire Hamilton soundtrack) but the three or four "songs" I have heard wouldn't crack the top 20 of musical soundtracks. It's possible that there are some deep cuts that are far better than what they roll out at the Tony's or whatever, but I doubt it. It's the most overrated musical soundtrack I've encountered in my 30 or so years of musical awareness.

And Godspell >>>> JCS
i almost caveated my selections for this reason, but...

my guess is that you are appreciating musical scores first as music (which makes sense)
but musicals are theatre and theatre tells stories
so the best musical scores are the ones that tell their stories the best (IMO)

in Hamilton, Lin Manuel Miranda gave each character their own rap genre - so you know each character by the different flow
then Jefferson comes in from Paris and is all jazzy and it's funny and subversive and just genius

and like i alluded to earlier, I think Kander & Ebb are just master storytellers through their music

And Godspell >>>> JCS
MMMM well It's subjective isn't it?
Or is there some measurement from which I should have known before I posted on this thread?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom