Best Car dealerships on north shore the Mississippi gulf coast and south shore. (1 Viewer)

Tony1Saintfan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My oldest son is is looking with less than perfect scores with a TransUnion of around 450. He may have a downpayment although I don’t really want to put out any money. He wants a truck what can you help him with.

I‘ve mentioned it on here before, but ive had great experiences buying from Carmax.. ive gotten my last three cars from there and, although i have great credit now, when i purchased my first car from them 13 or 14 years ago, my credit was subpar.. They are actually known for working with those who have less than ideal credit.. The only drawback for those living in NOLA used to be that the closest location was BR; but now i believe they have locations in Kenner and on Northshore.. Good luck.

I‘ve mentioned it on here before, but ive had great experiences buying from Carmax.. ive gotten my last three cars from there and, although i have great credit now, when i purchased my first car from them 13 or 14 years ago, my credit was subpar.. They are actually known for working with those who have less than ideal credit.. The only drawback for those living in NOLA used to be that the closest location was BR; but now i believe they have locations in Kenner and on Northshore.. Good luck.

correct - Kenner ( just behind Lamarque ) and Covington ( just off I-12 behind Hood Chevrolet )

He is looking to finance a purchase with a 450 score? They will rake him over coals man.

I'd be looking at buying outright and work on that score.

Yea that score is gonna huuuurt. Speaking from my brief stint at CarMax, you’re looking at an APR comfortably in the teens.

If you can talk him into buying something he can get paid off fast, that’d be a help. Otherwise he’s gonna pay interest out the nose till he can refinance.

As far as experience, the only dealership in those areas I dealt with was Banner Ford, and I wouldn’t recommend them.

Also , just to add to what i said about Carmax- if you decide to go that route, then do what i do and go onto carmax.com and search their inventory at other Carmax locations within 300 or 400 miles.. That way, if Kenner or Covington or BR doesnt have the type of truck he’s looking for (or for the price he’s looking to spend) then maybe they have one in Houston or Memphis .. he can do the paperwork online or in Covington and you can give him a ride to wherever the car’s located... or oftentimes they’ll ship the car to you for free.

He is looking to finance a purchase with a 450 score? They will rake him over coals man.

I'd be looking at buying outright and work on that score.
This is insanely good advice. Buy a dented up beater (cash) to get you back and forth to work and get your credit up. Pile up a lot of cash before buying a nice ride.....or he will continue to drown in debt. Sad thing is, a lot of the country is in the same boat, but they will still get the nice ride at 10% interest.

Fo-Fiddy!

tenor.gif

Stay home....

This is insanely good advice. Buy a dented up beater (cash) to get you back and forth to work and get your credit up. Pile up a lot of cash before buying a nice ride.....or he will continue to drown in debt. Sad thing is, a lot of the country is in the same boat, but they will still get the nice ride at 10% interest.

It is good advice... HOWEVER if his son is anything like myself when i had bad credit, it would be hard for him to even come up with the $2,000 or $3,000 to buy a ’beater’ truck.. also, being in the pandemic, there’s a shortage of used vehicles (seems counterintuitive, but it’s true) driving up the prices of used inventory.. But even in normal times, if you do an analysis of how much money you’re going to put into repairs over time for a $3,000 truck (assuming you can find one) , IMO you’re better off knowing you’ll have a note every month of, say, $250 or $300 (and if going the Carmax route, can get an extended warranty) versus paying outright, then a couple months later you might be spending $2k for a new transmission... Older , high mileage used vehicles are just so unpredictable, which is why it’s better IMO to know how much you’re spending every month, assuming someone will give you credit.. Again, just speaking from my personal experience being in a similar situation.

It is good advice... HOWEVER if his son is anything like myself when i had bad credit, it would be hard for him to even come up with the $2,000 or $3,000 to buy a ’beater’ truck.. also, being in the pandemic, there’s a shortage of used vehicles (seems counterintuitive, but it’s true) driving up the prices of used inventory.. But even in normal times, if you do an analysis of how much money you’re going to put into repairs over time for a $3,000 truck (assuming you can find one) , IMO you’re better off knowing you’ll have a note every month of, say, $250 or $300 (and if going the Carmax route, can get an extended warranty) versus paying outright, then a couple months later you might be spending $2k for a new transmission... Older , high mileage used vehicles are just so unpredictable, which is why it’s better IMO to know how much you’re spending every month, assuming someone will give you credit.. Again, just speaking from my personal experience being in a similar situation.

Without knowing his age, it could be that he hasnt established any credit as well, that created that score.

Hard to say without more info, but if he has 1k id be looking at 3-5k range and financing the remainder over 24 mo to start building that score. Even at 12%, financing $3-4k wont put much pressure on him ( notes around 190-220/mo ).

Plenty of used trucks in the $3-5k range out there. Aint gonna be a looker, but at this point, if your worried about "looks", there are larger issues at play.

My oldest son is is looking with less than perfect scores with a TransUnion of around 450. He may have a downpayment although I don’t really want to put out any money. He wants a truck what can you help him with.
Serious question:

If he actually gets a truck on payments, what are the chances it's gonna be repo'd in a couple of months? Does he have a steady job?

He should definitely get a cheap beater and deal with it. What he "wants" really isn't part of the discussion when he has that kind of credit history.

Agree with the advice to find away to pay for it or pay it off quickly. And I’d stay away from all the dealerships with the initials E.T. Lots of shady in those establishments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom