Best Free Antivirus and Firewall (1 Viewer)

Marty

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
My subscription for Norton is about to run out and I had read here in the past about using free antivirus programs that worked well. I did a search and saw that most people recommended AVG. Some also liked Avast. Has anyone here heard of/used Comodo? I did a google search and that one seemed to get good reviews also.

Also can anyone recommend free firewall and antispam programs. I have used ZoneAlarm in the past. Is that one still good? Looks like Comodo has those two programs also. Anyone anything about those?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Just my own personal preferences here, as IMO the best defense against stuff is you. I use AVG and Windows Firewall. I don't install any additional firewall software, IMO it hogs more resources then I am willing to part with. But then, I use Windows Firewall in combination with my router.

Avast is also good for antivirus.

I don't have a recommendation on anti-spam, My ISP has a bulk/spam filter on my mail through thier servers, as do most, I can screen my mail through them via webmail.

I've been using AVG and Zonealarm. Zonealarm is great, unless you go with a 64-bit os.

I always use AVG for antivirus, Adware by Lavasoft and spybot s&d by safer-networking!!! run those weekly oh all free

I've used both AVG and Avast! Anti-virus, both are free. I'm slightly more inclined to recommend AVG although Avast! is an extremely close second.

As for a firewall, I have yet to find a software firewall that was any good. Norton claims to have it, but it's terrible. ZoneAlarm is constant pain in the butt. It will pop-up and tell you EVERY packet sent over your network. (I admit, it's not necessarily a bad thing but it gets to be a HUGE pain)

If you're using a router to connect to the internet or a network, you already have a physical firewall. That will be better than any software firewall...as long as it's encrypted.

I also suggest u sandbox your surfing, another way to help. www.sandboxie.com since I have had this, and given to others, no infections!

Comodo firewall has some of the best ratings I have read...also avg, avast, and avir on the virus front...cheers!

Yesterday, I tried to download AVG but it conitnuously asked me for a subscription. It is supposed to be free, correct?

Buzd, I was just coming back to say nevermind. Today I was able to download it. But thanks bro, you are always quick to respond helpfully on the tech board. I appreciate it.

No, it's 5.3MB when I go to download it. Maybe the 130 is the speed of your download?

I've used Avast! for years now and I love it. When it first was released it was a resource hog but it's great now. The biggest contributing factor to preventing viruses is the end user, but I recommend Avast to everyone that asks me this question. The new Windows Live protection I hear is really good as well.

eta:
I have ComboFix and MalwareBytes on my computer just in case, but I don't have an any anti-spyware. Just Avast.

I haven't had a virus in at least a year, though the last one I had was rough.

what is your isp, many of the larger ones provide either norton or mcafee sub free with their internet.

avg, is free, but see an increasing amount of infections on systems "protected" by it. comodo, i hear good things, but is it the low user count that keeps from seeing them a lot.
when going to a virusscanner site such as virustotal, often clam av, or sophos, are the only one's seeing something as the infection. sophos, isn't even close to free.
Clam av, i have seen infections get in a few times. sophos, I havent'. but of course, i was told it was the MOST expensive one.
regardless of AV you use, surfing habits, and using common sense is the #1 preventative.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom