Best Grunge song ever? (1 Viewer)

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Though I believe Nirvana was better and more important, I would have to go with Alice in Chains-Would? I first heard it on the Singles soundtrack (great collection of songs). The ending of the song still gives me chills. Staley's vocal is incredible. What's your favorite?

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
there isn't really a lot of similarity between Soundgarden and say, Nirvana that you could put them in the same sub-genre...and AiC doesn't have a lot in common with Pearl Jam

i don't know, 'grunge' has always seemed to be a lazy grouping of some rock bands that came from the same area despite sounding different
I agree and disagree. I've always categorized a band like Alice in Chains more in the metal category. That said, there's a melancholy self reverentialism that unites these bands as distinct from say, Guns N Roses and the other popular acts that immediately preceded them.

Anyway, Alice in Chains is super iconic for me as well as any lesser known tracks from Collective Soul.

antipop

Get egg hunts
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree and disagree. I've always categorized a band like Alice in Chains more in the metal category. That said, there's a melancholy self reverentialism that unites these bands as distinct from say, Guns N Roses and the other popular acts that immediately preceded them.

Anyway, Alice in Chains is super iconic for me as well as any lesser known tracks from Collective Soul.
i think rock music was changing anyway at that time and the Seattle scene just happened to be the ones who broke out first...there was a lot of different stuff going on all around that had a very 90's sound/feel to it but isn't considered 'grunge' mostly because 'grunge' isn't a type of music :) but also because it wasn't from Seattle

Monster Magnet, Primus, Tool, NiN, etc...they aren't grunge but are cut from the same flannel cloth

i do agree about AiC...they are probably my favorite among the Seattle groups...Soundgarden is a close second....

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's it.. we're just going to need two new threads..

Best 90's alternative rock

Best 90's hard rock.

Or just one, with best 90's alternative/hard rock.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
So we could be looking at best song that is in the grunge genre, or best song that is a defining example of what grunge is.

Anyway, Aneurysm is a great Nirvana song.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm 45 and a "hair band" type music listener. I blame Nirvana for ruining the best decade of metal there ever was......
And I thank god that they ended that miserable excuse for music...but to each his own...its all good.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
So to me "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is easily number one. By the way, the story behind the name of the song is pretty funny and I think it kind of encapsulates the generation Xer high school experience, the last generation before social media really took hold. It's hard to explain but I totally get it. Graffiti, rebellion, good-natured teasing between friends and the inability to access any information with the touch your finger tips led to one of the most iconic songs and song titles of the last 50 years.

So that's the best to me, but then I got to thinking, what is my #2? The song that kept coming to me was Creep by Radiohead. My first thought was, "is that even considered grunge?" A quick look on Wikipedia and it is in fact listed as alternative - grunge. What say you? Does Creep belong in the conversation?
As I mentioned before, Creep is the best song ever, but not sure it's Grunge.

Saint_Ward, regarding your posting of Heart Shaped Box- I'm probably one of the rare people that thinks that In Utero was a better album than Nevermind, though both, of course. were great.
In Utero is my least favorite, but I understand it's appeal. I still listen to Bleach, Inseticide, Nevermind, and Unplugged regularly, but never In Utero.

In similar vain, I loved Ten when it came out and thought Vs was a step down, but now I listen to Vs much more.

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Why is all music from that era considered grunge? It's all hard rock. Is it because there was a time where a lot of band were using drop D tuning? Hell, a lot of metal bands use that.

OP
OP
UndeadSnoopy

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are many better Nirvana songs, but I thought I would include this because to me it is fun and insane. In a way, it is a good display of Cobain's mad genius. Who records something like this? lol

Last edited:

MTDB1983

Very Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't call zombie "grunge "

We just talking 90's alternative?
My understanding of Grunge is that it’s a combination of punk and alternative, with heavy rifts and an angsty depressive sound. To me that encapsulated The Cranberries.

But I could be wrong.

How about “Run” by Collective Soul?

Changed my mind about Run.. Prob not grunge

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Where does Staind fall as far as genre? Came out a little after what I consider grunge but still had alot of the same properties. It's like that second wave....it was the next evolution of grunge. Liked those guys alot and Aaron Lewis is a great singer....his country stuff he's doing now is fantastic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom