Best Grunge song ever? (2 Viewers)

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Though I believe Nirvana was better and more important, I would have to go with Alice in Chains-Would? I first heard it on the Singles soundtrack (great collection of songs). The ending of the song still gives me chills. Staley's vocal is incredible. What's your favorite?

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And I thank god that they ended that miserable excuse for music...but to each his own...its all good.
I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's for the most part. I rarely listen to anything on the radio now-a-days. Hair Nation, Lithium, and Turbo on Sirius and my phone has all of "my" music. Lots of folks laugh at my music taste, but I'm not alone....I'm still close friends with several folks from high school and we all have the same taste in music. It's all about when you grew up!

I never cared much for Nirvana or Soundgarden, but bands like The Smashing Pumpkins are still a favorite of mine.

Soundwave

Terribly Vexed
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't personally consider this "grunge" but all the members were from grunge bands, so I give you a couple of songs from what could have been the best collaboration of the time......

saintmdterps

Upon my soul I feel fine
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Rooster-AiC
Alive-Stone Temple pilots
Cover Me- Candlebox
Come as You Are-Nirvana

For pure gunge angst intensity I give the nod to Cover Me.

whodatbe

Kenner Brah!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone has said great bands/songs, but one of my favorites is the Pixies, especially Where is My Mind.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think anything from Alice in Chains Unplugged. His voice in that show is the definition of Grunge, you could feel the pain and anger in it.....but if I had to choose it would be nutshell unplugged

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think anything from Alice in Chains Unplugged. His voice in that show is the definition of Grunge, you could feel the pain and anger in it.....but if I had to choose it would be nutshell unplugged
That was mostly heroin...

but AiC Unplugged is my favorite. Nirvana Unplugged is right up there as well.

OP
OP
UndeadSnoopy

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Bronson

Caligula would grin
Reaction score
bold and proud of where I've been but here I am...
encapsulates the generation Xer high school experience, the last generation before social media really took hold. It's hard to explain but I totally get it. Graffiti, rebellion, good-natured teasing between friends and the inability to access any information with the touch your finger tips led to one of the most iconic songs and song titles of the last 50 years.
I love how these threads commemorate how that decade of music influenced our lives and I'm really glad you pointed this out.

Why is all music from that era considered grunge? It's all hard rock. Is it because there was a time where a lot of band were using drop D tuning? Hell, a lot of metal bands use that.
To me, the term grunge always seemed to be a media hyped label attached to the music of the time. You're damn right it's all rock though.

Like DC said, grunge seemed to attach itself to the style of music that expressed the youths' angst in that era. I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the lyrics as much then, but the sound always tugged on my heart strings and made me want to delve deeper. Learning the meaning of these songs maturated the though process and helped to appreciate the lyrics more.

The time of social media and endless apps is upon us and I think has a strong relationship with the current music scene.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I read an interesting article that Cobain actually asked people at MTV to score him some heroin before the show. He had to settle for Valiums. Amazing he pulled off a great show.
Found it. Good read, if you like. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/remembering-nirvanas-unplugged-cobains-battles-nearly-pulled-plug-classic-appearance-190047188.html
There was a whole thing where part of it was him toying with MTV and the rest was he was really nervous and scared. He needed to be reassured.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love how these threads commemorate how that decade of music influenced our lives and I'm really glad you pointed this out.

To me, the term grunge always seemed to be a media hyped label attached to the music of the time. You're damn right it's all rock though.

Like DC said, grunge seemed to attach itself to the style of music that expressed the youths' angst in that era. I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the lyrics as much then, but the sound always tugged on my heart strings and made me want to delve deeper. Learning the meaning of these songs maturated the though process and helped to appreciate the lyrics more.

The time of social media and endless apps is upon us and I think has a strong relationship with the current music scene.
It depended on the band. I forget what program was exploring it, but it was essentially how Punk Rock morphed into New Wave, which morphed into Alt Rock and some Grunge. So, as people tend to want to associate with good things, a lot of punk rockers saw Nirvana more as a punk rock band than anything.

Jimbo

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Love most of these songs but this song along with Birth Ritual put Soundgarden on the map for me

OP
OP
UndeadSnoopy

UndeadSnoopy

Coffin Fresh!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Love most of these songs but this song along with Birth Ritual put Soundgarden on the map for me
Thanks, I haven't heard that in a while. Chris Cornell was one of the most talented singers in rock. Incredible range. I mentioned earlier in the thread just how insane his vocals were in Birth Ritual. Amazed he didn't blow his voice out on that one.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I always favored this one:

I always thought that STP's Plush was a rip of this song, just slowed down a slight variation of the chord progression.

Honestly can't listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit anymore. Also it was somewhat of a rip of Boston's "More Than A Feeling", but probably only subconscioulsy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom