Best Grunge song ever? (1 Viewer)

I know there are many better Nirvana songs, but I thought I would include this because to me it is fun and insane. In a way, it is a good display of Cobain's mad genius. Who records something like this? lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't call zombie "grunge "

We just talking 90's alternative?

My understanding of Grunge is that it’s a combination of punk and alternative, with heavy rifts and an angsty depressive sound. To me that encapsulated The Cranberries.

But I could be wrong.

How about “Run” by Collective Soul?

Changed my mind about Run.. Prob not grunge

Where does Staind fall as far as genre? Came out a little after what I consider grunge but still had alot of the same properties. It's like that second wave....it was the next evolution of grunge. Liked those guys alot and Aaron Lewis is a great singer....his country stuff he's doing now is fantastic.

And I thank god that they ended that miserable excuse for music...but to each his own...its all good.

I'm stuck in the 80's and 90's for the most part. I rarely listen to anything on the radio now-a-days. Hair Nation, Lithium, and Turbo on Sirius and my phone has all of "my" music. Lots of folks laugh at my music taste, but I'm not alone....I'm still close friends with several folks from high school and we all have the same taste in music. It's all about when you grew up!

I never cared much for Nirvana or Soundgarden, but bands like The Smashing Pumpkins are still a favorite of mine.

I don't personally consider this "grunge" but all the members were from grunge bands, so I give you a couple of songs from what could have been the best collaboration of the time......

Rooster-AiC
Alive-Stone Temple pilots
Cover Me- Candlebox
Come as You Are-Nirvana

For pure gunge angst intensity I give the nod to Cover Me.

Everyone has said great bands/songs, but one of my favorites is the Pixies, especially Where is My Mind.

I think anything from Alice in Chains Unplugged. His voice in that show is the definition of Grunge, you could feel the pain and anger in it.....but if I had to choose it would be nutshell unplugged

I think anything from Alice in Chains Unplugged. His voice in that show is the definition of Grunge, you could feel the pain and anger in it.....but if I had to choose it would be nutshell unplugged

That was mostly heroin...

but AiC Unplugged is my favorite. Nirvana Unplugged is right up there as well.

Everyone has said great bands/songs, but one of my favorites is the Pixies, especially Where is My Mind.

I think I remember hearing that when Nirvana made Nevermind, they were basically trying to create their version of Surfer Rosa.

encapsulates the generation Xer high school experience, the last generation before social media really took hold. It's hard to explain but I totally get it. Graffiti, rebellion, good-natured teasing between friends and the inability to access any information with the touch your finger tips led to one of the most iconic songs and song titles of the last 50 years.

I love how these threads commemorate how that decade of music influenced our lives and I'm really glad you pointed this out.

Why is all music from that era considered grunge? It's all hard rock. Is it because there was a time where a lot of band were using drop D tuning? Hell, a lot of metal bands use that.

To me, the term grunge always seemed to be a media hyped label attached to the music of the time. You're damn right it's all rock though.

Like DC said, grunge seemed to attach itself to the style of music that expressed the youths' angst in that era. I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the lyrics as much then, but the sound always tugged on my heart strings and made me want to delve deeper. Learning the meaning of these songs maturated the though process and helped to appreciate the lyrics more.

The time of social media and endless apps is upon us and I think has a strong relationship with the current music scene.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom