Best Grunge song ever? (2 Viewers)

I love how these threads commemorate how that decade of music influenced our lives and I'm really glad you pointed this out.

To me, the term grunge always seemed to be a media hyped label attached to the music of the time. You're damn right it's all rock though.

Like DC said, grunge seemed to attach itself to the style of music that expressed the youths' angst in that era. I wasn't smart enough to appreciate the lyrics as much then, but the sound always tugged on my heart strings and made me want to delve deeper. Learning the meaning of these songs maturated the though process and helped to appreciate the lyrics more.

The time of social media and endless apps is upon us and I think has a strong relationship with the current music scene.

It depended on the band. I forget what program was exploring it, but it was essentially how Punk Rock morphed into New Wave, which morphed into Alt Rock and some Grunge. So, as people tend to want to associate with good things, a lot of punk rockers saw Nirvana more as a punk rock band than anything.

Love most of these songs but this song along with Birth Ritual put Soundgarden on the map for me

Love most of these songs but this song along with Birth Ritual put Soundgarden on the map for me

Thanks, I haven't heard that in a while. Chris Cornell was one of the most talented singers in rock. Incredible range. I mentioned earlier in the thread just how insane his vocals were in Birth Ritual. Amazed he didn't blow his voice out on that one.

I always favored this one:

I always thought that STP's Plush was a rip of this song, just slowed down a slight variation of the chord progression.

Honestly can't listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit anymore. Also it was somewhat of a rip of Boston's "More Than A Feeling", but probably only subconscioulsy.

Zombie is definitely a grunge song, even if you couldn't classify the Cranberries as a "grunge band" Listen to the guitar, and tell me that doesn't sound like something Cobain would write.
I think Zombie is awesome, but when I hear the bass line, I hear "What do you do with a drunken sailor?". Doesn't ruin the song for me, I just can't unhear it. lol

I always favored this one:

I always thought that STP's Plush was a rip of this song, just slowed down a slight variation of the chord progression.

Honestly can't listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit anymore. Also it was somewhat of a rip of Boston's "More Than A Feeling", but probably only subconscioulsy.

I respectfully disagree. The chords, chords/picking progressions and song structures are markedly different. As they do with so many different songs some of the chords may be the same but that is pretty much where it ends.

A lot of folks hate to hear this, especially Nirvana fans, but STP's music was far more complex than Nirvana's for the most part. Not saying it was better as that is purely subjective/personal judgement but there was more going on instrumentally in most of the STP songs....

Grunge music in general is pretty simplified music wise. At the time that's one of the reasons I didn't like it. We went from having all these amazing guitar songs to grunge with simple chords and no solo. I learned to like it but at the time it was a huge let down. The 80's were a progression from the 70's guys guitar wise then there was a regression going into the 90's. There are some good guitarists spattered in there but the music itself didn't really show that.

Grunge music in general is pretty simplified music wise. At the time that's one of the reasons I didn't like it. We went from having all these amazing guitar songs to grunge with simple chords and no solo. I learned to like it but at the time it was a huge let down. The 80's were a progression from the 70's guys guitar wise then there was a regression going into the 90's. There are some good guitarists spattered in there but the music itself didn't really show that.

I could type pages on the downfall of music from my view point. But all instruments (including guitar) took a back seat to image and look after MTV launched.

I also truly believed SRV's untimely death vanquished what would have been a lot of blues inspired youngsters

That said, a lot of the great players are still alive and making good music (Steve Morse, Derek Trucks, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin to name a few)....

I didn't care for the "Hair Bands" much. Not all (for instance,I thought Slash was unique) , but many of the guitarists at that time were just trying to copy Eddie Van Halen. Man, the first time I heard Eruption, it blew my mind.

I didn't care for the "Hair Bands" much. Not all (for instance,I thought Slash was unique) , but many of the guitarists at that time were just trying to copy Eddie Van Halen. Man, the first time I heard Eruption, it blew my mind.
I think you had guys that definitely had his style but you have that from all great guitarists. Vito Bratta comes to mind...he used alot of tapping but he was still amazing. Others though were good in their own right. The guys from Tesla were underrated....both were really good. Mick Mars, satriani, vai, malmsteen, ECT ECT. Those guys didn't have his same style but all could throw the guitar around nicely. I grew up on that stuff and Metallica. Youth determines your tastes quite a bit. These days I listen to a huge spectrum of music but I still miss those days of really cool guitar licks. There's a few bands that still do it. I just got turned onto Greta van fleet that sounds slot like zepplin but pretty cool music either way.

I could type pages on the downfall of music from my view point. But all instruments (including guitar) took a back seat to image and look after MTV launched.

I also truly believed SRV's untimely death vanquished what would have been a lot of blues inspired youngsters

That said, a lot of the great players are still alive and making good music (Steve Morse, Derek Trucks, Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin to name a few)....
Interestingly enough, these guys were less interested in their image, vs being artistic.

You can't say Nirvana or AiC were begging for the Camera like David Lee Roth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom