Best Guitar Solo (1 Viewer)

Cant have a list of guitar solos without Free Bird. Also love Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria.

I wouldn’t put Bohemian Rhapsody’s guitar solo near the top...but I do think that it has perhaps the best piano arrangement of any rock song ever.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you. I got to see them on the division bell tour in the dome and I came away totally amazed with the best contact high ever. Looking at the video that may have been in the dome.
In terms of Pink Floyd and guitar solos, there's so many to choose from: There's "Money", " Brain Damage/Eclipse"--with its eerie, slightly unhinged musical intro and descent into madness sort of sound effects, guitar and vocal melodies, which segues into the universal, utopian, hopeful/cynical wishlist lyrics Eclipse ends Dark Side on. "Eclipse", might be, one of the few songs Waters ever wrote as a main principal songwriter, whether on PF, or during his own solo career, that has or ends with some glimmer of hope or some discernable positive message contained within. That and perhaps, " Pigs on the Wing" Parts I and II, that bookend the entire Animals album. The album's title song's intro, WYWH, is great, as well as instrumental sections of " Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and that mournful, four-note guitar phrase, "Syd's Theme, during recording sessions, FWIW," is one of Gilmour's more memorable ones. Also, "Dogs" and "Pigs" from Animals were great, though, though the song lyrics and instrumental breaks were too long, cumbersome, and at times, kind of dull. Animals was the first PF album where a gradual but perhaps inevitable shift began where the band's focus became more of a vehicle for Waters ideas, themes, and concepts. Gilmour's greatest solos, from the legendary classical late 60's-early 80's period was "Echoes". It's him illustrating some of his most creative, articulate, and most intense guitar work, illustrations, use of pedals and effects. It's even more noteworthy and exciting to listen to and allowing him to draw it out then lets say " Comfortably Numb", IMHO.

The Final Cut, is a Roger Waters solo album in all but name only. To be fair, Waters did ask his fellow band mates if it would be better to release the album as a solo record, but they refused, fearing EMI executives wouldn't take kindly to not receiving a new PF follow-up after the Wall's success and perhaps risk a lawsuit.
The Final Cut's sessions were some of the most turbulent, nastiest band sessions ever. Reportedly, Waters and Gilmour had several fist fights in the studio because their arguments got so heated and nasty. The album's has some of the band's finest, most articulate lyrics ever, and some of the songs are really good, but the bleak nature of the lyrics made it hard for Gilmour for add any uplifting, meaningful sonic contributions.

I've often compared Final Cut to Styx's Kilroy was Here, released around the same time, not so much in comparable lyrical, musical, or conceptual worth, but as albums that broke both bands, mentally and emotionally, and it took them many years to recover from the bitter infighting and both bands internal cohesiveness and stability from all original members. It didnt take Styx nearly as long to mend fences initially and Floyd never really has recovered fully from the divorce in 1985.

It's very hard to put anything conclusively over "Comfortably Numb". For sure the best "feels" solo I can think of -- Gilmour's not throwing a jillion notes at you, he's just reaching deep inside you somehow.

However, there are some very nice technical solos that are fun to listen to and leave you in awe of the guitarist's ability:

- Buckethead's wah pedal workout on "Nottingham Lace". If in a hurry, skip ahead to about 3:00.

- Neal Schon improvs the last two minutes of "Stone in Love". Yes, he made that up on the fly.

- Eddie Van Halen thought it was a prank call when Quincy Jones dialed him to play on "Beat It". In the studio, EVH's 33 seconds on the axe was more than enough to stand right up to Jackson's vox and take the song to another level.

- And of course: Prince. Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. 2004. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Dhani Harrison's face melting off in ecstasy.

Ya'll must be crazy...

Stevie Ray makes the other (albeit excellent in their own right) suggestions so far mentioned look (and sound) like a sick old man.

Also, Roy Clark:

(Even though it was for television, that was done live and in one take, btw)

When most speak of guitar solos, The rock and roll genre is usually the first that comes to mind. Roy Clark was a bad ace, If
an instrument had a string, Roy mastered it

I've heard Roy Clark referred to as country music's Eddie Van Halen. That clip makes me think more that EVH was hard rock's Roy Clark. Felix had the right reaction -- just slump down in your chair in wonder.

I've heard Roy Clark referred to as country music's Eddie Van Halen. That clip makes me think more that EVH was hard rock's Roy Clark. Felix had the right reaction -- just slump down in your chair in wonder.

I'm an old metal head. It never stopped me from appreciating C&W artists. watch how Roy goes from guitar to banjo to fiddle. It's
genius. There are not many who walked this planet who could pull this off.

They alternated on that solo
And Duane was the better guitarist of the 2
You are right. Duane died before the studio version was released. Dickey was the one who played the version we hear today

Derek Trucks is the nephew of Allman brothers drummer Butch Trucks. He's arguably the greatest slide guitarist who ever played.

When most speak of guitar solos, The rock and roll genre is usually the first that comes to mind. Roy Clark was a bad ace, If
an instrument had a string, Roy mastered it

Man, I used to watch HeeHaw all the time as a kid in the 80s. Roy Clark was awesome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom