Best Guitar Solo (1 Viewer)

There are easily 20 guitarists who I think are the greatest of all time so I could not pick "The Best" but It would be Stevie Ray, or Yngwie, or Tipton and Downing, or Murray and Smith, or EVH, or Morse, or Eric Johnson, or Vai, or George Lynch, or Menniketti, or Iommi, or Blackmore, or Marty Freidman, or Jimmi, or...so many, but I leave you with another lost too young- Randy Rhodes

There are easily 20 guitarists who I think are the greatest of all time so I could not pick "The Best" but It would be Stevie Ray, or Yngwie, or Tipton and Downing, or Murray and Smith, or EVH, or Morse, or Eric Johnson, or Vai, or George Lynch, or Menniketti, or Iommi, or Blackmore, or Marty Freidman, or Jimmi, or...so many, but I leave you with another lost too young- Randy Rhodes

Rhodes was a beast.....that tribute album has some fantastic guitar on it. Someone else that gets lost in the mix is vito bratta. He never really got his due because of his similarities to eddie but I think he was alot more technical than eddie and either way....he rocks it out.

VH1 had a behind the music documentary about Ozzie several years ago. His wife Sharon told a story about Randy. His mom enrolled him in a class taught by the best classical guitarist in CA. 6 weeks later, he was told to leave the class. The instructor told his mom. I cannot teach him anything else.

That would be the late great Terry Kath on guitar for Chicago, Face brings it up often, probably the most underappreciated guitar player of all time.....

Yes he did, dude was a monster. There are a number of great bluegrass players who are incredible....below is one of my all time favorite solos....Dregs doing electric bluegrass with Steve Morse on the guitar....starts at the 1:46 mark....and don't get me started on Chet Atkins!!!!

Derek is incredible, I saw him when he had his own band and multiple times with Tedeschi Trucks (which I think is the best band out there right now)....

Terry Rath was certainly a superb musician and probably the right, focused guitarist for Chicago's late 60's/early 70's experimental, pre-pop hit machine they'd become by the mid-late 1970's, but whenever I watch old Beat Club or American/BBC Old Grey Whistle Test live performances, his stage presence doesn't blow me away. He looks awkward, out-of-place, and I don't see the same level of onstage guitar pyrotechnics from guitar virtuosoes from same period like Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix(who once called Rath" a better guitarist then me"), or Jeff Beck. Rock legends like Jeff Beck, Hendrix, or Page could make the most unique, strangest, otherwordly sounds or effects with their instruments, particularly Beck and Hendrix.

Chicago's I'm a Man, and 25 or 6 to 4 are great, powerful, driving hard rock songs that can be augmented, tinkered with so much because of the long,.drawn out instrumental breaks. Metal bands like Metallica, Pantera, or even jam bands could take 25 or 6 to 24 and make it longer, more powerful, edgier, more distorted. There's so much potential there with songs like that other classic rock songs don't necessarily provide. Rath was a very good workmanlike guitarist, but he wasn't Pete Townsend in how he could get large crowds revved up playing them onstage.

And Chicago was never quite as experimental as other contemporaries like Pink Floyd or the Who were in their respective heydays. In fact, the Who were one of the few really great British/American mainstream bands that got along well with Floyd during their peak. I've heard Pete Townsend was one of the few singer-songwriters that Roger Waters couldn't push around or verbally abuse or threaten because if he did, Townsend probably would best the sheet out of him. Waters might've been the characteristics and human force of personality equivalent to a raging wildfire, but Townsend back then was this supernatural, tsunami force of nature that drowns, submergers, kills every human being, creeping crawling form of animal species it encounters in every arena, auditorium, or Stadium ever played in.

Musically comparable to Noah looking outside his Ark for the first time in months while a worldwide deluge decisively, meticulously wiped out every last remnant of pre-Flood world and society and the carnage laid out far and wide due to how complete the devastation was, he looks around and quips "Good Lord, were they really THAT BAD and sinful and I know you've told me and my family are safe after the Ark lands, but after seeing this, can I get some extra assurances?"

VH1 had a behind the music documentary about Ozzie several years ago. His wife Sharon told a story about Randy. His mom enrolled him in a class taught by the best classical guitarist in CA. 6 weeks later, he was told to leave the class. The instructor told his mom. I cannot teach him anything else.
IIRC, from that same Behind the Music documentary, Rhodes didnt sign up at UCLA to learn classical guitar, he actually was approached or wanted to teach classical guitar seminars or classes at UCLA.

Ive also heard that Rhodes was scheduled to rejoin his former Quiet Riot bandmates in the studio to record what would eventually become Metal Health, Quiet Riot's first breakthrough album and sort of a heavy metal landmark being one of the first pure metal bands' to release an album that reached *1 on Billboard Albums charts. Of course, the freakish unreal accident which killed him in 1982 ended any such possible, wondrous hopes. Not to name too many names or criticize certain individual metal musicians in bands but it's amazing how freakish, almost unbelievable disasters happen to great rock/metal musicians either established or up-and-coming or guys that do hard drugs, drive fastest, dangerous cars, kill their best friends who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, or deliberately try to kill themselves by trying to overdose on heroin or drink themselves into stupors it eventually effects their playing abilities and their lives over the point of many years like John Bonham of Led Zeppelin or they land on their feets and dry up or clean up, for good.

Rock legends like Jeff Beck, Hendrix, or Page could make the most unique, strangest, otherwordly sounds or effects with their instruments, particularly Beck and Hendrix.

I mean, if you're going there, no one can touch Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp in the "otherworldly sounds from a guitar" department.

This one by Vernon Reid always blows me away. The majority of the song always seems like a solo. Also, the audience appears to be completely in shock; almost fearful as to what they are witnessing and hearing...just cracks me up. Living Colour was way ahead of their time.

Your clip is from The Arsenio Hall Show -- I remember them being on.

"Cult of Personality" is so good. One of my favorite solos on the studio track, and I forgot to include it. Thanks for coming in and rectifying my oversight.

It's not about the "best" or "greatest",. It's about YOUR favorite. I remember that Rolling Stone "Greatest 100 Guitarists" several years ago that was a joke. They had Cobain ranked higher than Gilmore and EVH. Not that I have anything against Cobain, but there's just no way.

Some of my favorite solos;

Live Comfortably Numb from The Pulse
Live Dazed and Confused (A 26 minute solo with some Robert Plant vocals sprinkled in)
Live SRV Voodoo Child
Live Dream Theater Octovarium (sp?)

I'm an old metal head. It never stopped me from appreciating C&W artists. watch how Roy goes from guitar to banjo to fiddle. It's
genius. There are not many who walked this planet who could pull this off.

And along those lines I'd include

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom