Best Movie Depicting American History (1 Viewer)

trump-crews.gif

mmmmm...Mountain Dew and Cheetos.

A few not mentioned yet. Some for historical importance and others just for being awesome flicks set in another period.

Gods and Generals.

The Patriot.

L.A. Confidential.

I am surprised "How The West Was Won" would not make the top five of every person's list of movies that portray important times in American history.

Was it a bit sappy? Sure. But it was also an inspiring movie, sprawling over Amy decades. It's a good watch for young folks who have not seen it. It was a monster hit in its day with just about all the major American actors of its time acting in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gW9o2nR11DM

Last edited:
Network.

Which is fascinating to me, since Chayefsky wrote the screenplay before it happened.

I am surprised "How The West Was Won" would not make the top five of every person's list of movies that portray important times in American history.

Was it a bit sappy? Sure. But it was also an inspiring movie, sprawling over Amy decades. It's a good watch for young folks who have not seen it. It was a monster hit in its day with just about all the major American actors of its time acting in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gW9o2nR11DM

Also a great one. For some reason I thought that it was a series like Centennial (which I believe was created to be How the West Was Won, but longer).

Great choice!

If anyone here suggests "Pearl Harbor" you should get the mega-ban.

I went with my stepmother the night it premiered at the old Galleria theater. After it was over, she asked me (since she knew my degree was in history) how they were able to get the notes from everyone involved to make the movie. My response...

"WHAT?!?"

Something like The Crucible or The Scarlet Letter should be mentioned as well. Was Grapes of Wrath mentioned?

indeed
Django Unchained?? anyone?

The Ice Storm
Good Night and Good Luck
Millers Crossing
Basquiat
The Crucible
The New World
Unforgiven
Malcolm x
Joy luck Club
Dead Man
Boyhood

I love King Fish, not entirely accurate but I like the portrayal by Goodman.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom