Best of Bowie (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
What David Bowie era do you think was his best? I have been listening to a lot lately, and the way his music changes is interesting. Its not that Radiohead type change, but the difference between Space Oddity and Let's Dance is evident.

I guess my question is, what do you think is Bowies best time period was. The 80's for him were great, but I enjoy some 70's Bowie.

Opinions?

Lodger, Scary Monsters is probably my favorite Bowie time period.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust is an amazing album.

A few others are pretty good.

Anything from the 80s/early 90s is not so much. It's hard to take saxophones seriously in rock music.

Don't get me wrong, if Huey Lewis and the News comes on the radio, I'll leave it. But I don't put it in the category of music I love and take seriously.

In sum, some Bowie is excellent. Some is almost unlistenable.

Edit: except Under Pressure. That song rules.

There are probably more gems from the early glam era and the mid-'70s soul/funk era that followed than in later phases, but "Heroes" (which came near the beginning of the "Berlin" period) is one of my favorite records, by anyone, ever.

I'm not as big a fan of the '80s megahits but there's good stuff there too.

Listening to Bowie back in the '70s, I don't think I would have predicted just how durable his catalog turned out to be. He caught a lot of flak back then for his constant changes, which many critics took as insincerity. But now, when an old Bowie record comes on the radio, it's almost always something worthy of repeated listening.

For many years I thought Jean Genie from Aladdin Sane was about Iggy Pop, because he had been a huge fan of Pop and his first band, The Stooges, first two albums and thought Pop's extravagance, chaotic on-and off-stage volatility(stage-diving, smothering peanut butter and eggs over his body, cutting himself and rolling over broken glass) made him unique from other Detroit underground artists MC5. But lately, most of Bowie's associates have refuted that, saying character that inspired Jean Genie was an Iggy-like character, but not Iggy himself. Some people rumored have been Angela Bowie, Keith Moon.

Hunky dory > all Bowie. That said... I love like 9 of his albums

Bowie had some great albums in 70's, Man who sold the World, Ziggy, Station to Station, Scary Monsters, Low are all favorites. Scary Monsters was actually early 80's I believe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom