Best offensive lineman of the CFL a free agent.(Staying at the CFL, Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

He is one big man. Is he a mauler or can he pull as well? What type of blocking scheme do they use?

It's a position of need, and the top NFL free agents at guard are going to demand big dollars given how poor the offensive linemen class is in April's draft.

It's a position of need, and the top NFL free agents at guard are going to demand big dollars given how poor the offensive linemen class is in April's draft.

Just making an NFL roster should be big money over making a CFL roster, definitely a good move if he can be an above average pass blocker and if the Saints are interested.

Thanks for the links, G. Very informative. You are definitely SR's pipeline for information on CFL players. Sounds like this guy deserves a look.

The big question is, can the guy move? If he can, sign him up. If not, let someone else take a chance on him.

Looking at past winners, there isn't much to write home about in terms of guys who returned to the NFL after winning. Brett Jones of the Giants is an exception, as is Shar Pourdanesh over 20 years ago.

You may recognize Ben Archibald, a former Saint, on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFL's_Most_Outstanding_Offensive_Lineman_Award

Is he a Carl Nicks type? Has he ever played one of the tackle positions in the CFL, as Nicks played at Nebraska? Or has he always been at guard?

These might be pertinent questions as to whether or not he can succeed in the NFL.

EDIT: Never mind... I see he did play mostly at tackle, and LT at that. My bad. Sign him up!

Best offensive lineman of the CFL a free agent.

He is one big man. Is he a mauler or can he pull as well? What type of blocking scheme do they use?

Sorry, I was out yesterday.

Before talking about him, let's talk about CFL's offensive linemen. They have to block smaller, faster players compared to the NFL. Also, since basically it is two downs to get a first down, and with all movement around, the running and protection schemes are simpler,more straight forward.

The Calgary Stampeders' success is based in their lines. On offence their system have a mobile accurate quarterback (Bo Levy Mitchell, a one to follow) and a big running back that can get both the tough yards and be the bodyguard of the pivote.

Calgary's o-line is more about being a mauler then finesse. But the center and guards can pull. I am sure CalgarySaint can give us a more informed opinion.

Dennis is the leader of the line, he had played tackle and guard and at both sides. He is a big man but he is agile. The good things I see about him is that he is not only strong, he is used to pass protect small speedy rushers like Beasley or Spence.

Even if he is not a starter he brings value on game day since he can be a backup on 3 positions, both guards and right tackle.

He is 28 years old, so this is the time to bring him up.

Last edited:
He has spent time on numerous practice squads in the NFL. Wonder why he can't seem to stick and/or make an active roster.

He has spent time on numerous practice squads in the NFL. Wonder why he can't seem to stick and/or make an active roster.

This is more then the exception for Practice squad players. It is not only about their development, but also for opportunity.

Obviously, players get better with playing time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom