Best Offensive Tackles (1 Viewer)

Our tackles are great, but our guards not so much. I'm hoping Ruiz and McCoy can switch positions so that we at least get improvement at RG.
Ruiz has been strictly a Center for his career. Last season he was switched to Right Guard, a position he has only played for 5 games in his college career. It takes time to learn a new position. I think he should be better this season.

Last edited:
Eric McCoy too has been strictly a center for his career and only started 2 games at Guard in his college career.

True it's a bit of a mess. Only thing I lean to is that the staff seemed to think Ruiz would eventually be the future center when they drafted him. With an actual offseason to work it out hopefully they figure out what's best between the two players.

Here we have 2 of the top 5 tackles in the league and some people want to somehow trade away Armstead. SMH.

Here is the issue: Ram is going to get a market resetting contract. Lane Johnson is the highest paid RT in the league at $18m a year. Ram is easily going to demand $20m+ and someone is going to pay it because he is that good.

Armstead is 30, however he is also an elite Tackle and frankly is aging like wine. He's getting injured less and still performing at an elite level. The top tier LT's are making $4-5m/yr more than Lane Johnson. Believe the highest right now is $23m a year.

Can the Saints really afford to tie up over $40m/yr in cap to their Tackles? If Ian Book ends up being a gem, then yes they absolutely can afford it. However if Hill or Winston shows themselves to be a franchise worthy QB, they're going to cost quite a bit more than their contracts pay now and that will cause some potential cap dilemmas.

While I think it is crazy to want to trade Armstead, I can absolutely see the logic coming from it. If the Saints had to choose between one, they'd likely pick the younger option and trading Armstead and getting something for him would be better than just losing him outright.

Still, I hope the Saints can make it work to keep both. An elite pair of Tackles will make a young QB's life much easier.

Ruiz has been strictly a Center for his career. Last season he was switched to Right Guard, a position he has only played for 5 games in his college career. It takes time to learn a new position. I think he should be better this season.

No OTAs, no minicamps, no preseason games, extremely condensed Training Camp last season... I think we'll see a very big leap from 2020's class this year.

Here is the issue: Ram is going to get a market resetting contract. Lane Johnson is the highest paid RT in the league at $18m a year. Ram is easily going to demand $20m+ and someone is going to pay it because he is that good.

Armstead is 30, however he is also an elite Tackle and frankly is aging like wine. He's getting injured less and still performing at an elite level. The top tier LT's are making $4-5m/yr more than Lane Johnson. Believe the highest right now is $23m a year.

Can the Saints really afford to tie up over $40m/yr in cap to their Tackles? If Ian Book ends up being a gem, then yes they absolutely can afford it. However if Hill or Winston shows themselves to be a franchise worthy QB, they're going to cost quite a bit more than their contracts pay now and that will cause some potential cap dilemmas.

While I think it is crazy to want to trade Armstead, I can absolutely see the logic coming from it. If the Saints had to choose between one, they'd likely pick the younger option and trading Armstead and getting something for him would be better than just losing him outright.

Still, I hope the Saints can make it work to keep both. An elite pair of Tackles will make a young QB's life much easier.

No OTAs, no minicamps, no preseason games, extremely condensed Training Camp last season... I think we'll see a very big leap from 2020's class this year.
I was with you until the Book part. There is little to chance Book beats out both Taysom and Winston in his 1st year as a mid-round pick. If things go as planned, we will be paying a QB 30 MIL+ after next year.

I was with you until the Book part. There is little to chance Book beats out both Taysom and Winston in his 1st year as a mid-round pick. If things go as planned, we will be paying a QB 30 MIL+ after next year.

If the Saints are paying a QB $30m+/yr next season, then we can almost assume that Armstead or Ram is a goner. The Saints are currently sitting at $196.4m in used cap for 2022, and the 2022 cap is estimated to be over $200m but in the $205m range. That doesn't have Marcus Williams or Ram under contract either. Fitting a $30m/yr QB contact can be done with Loomis doing Loomis things, but he won't have many players left he can "Loomis" it up with to create room for both tackles.

I agree Book has a slim chance of winning the starting job, but man... four years of franchise QB play on a fourth round picks contract? The Saints wouldn't lose a bidding war for any free agent they wanted in that window.

If the Saints are paying a QB $30m+/yr next season, then we can almost assume that Armstead or Ram is a goner. The Saints are currently sitting at $196.4m in used cap for 2022, and the 2022 cap is estimated to be over $200m but in the $205m range. That doesn't have Marcus Williams or Ram under contract either. Fitting a $30m/yr QB contact can be done with Loomis doing Loomis things, but he won't have many players left he can "Loomis" it up with to create room for both tackles.

I agree Book has a slim chance of winning the starting job, but man... four years of franchise QB play on a fourth round picks contract? The Saints wouldn't lose a bidding war for any free agent they wanted in that window.
It's a reality of the QB market. The lone exceptions are Mahomes with his rookie deal and Brady doing team-friendly deals with the Pats. Although Drew was reasonable in his last few years, for the bulk of his tenure with us he got market-level deals and retired as one of the highest paid players. I don't want to lose either of our tackles but solidifying the QB position is more important.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom