Best opening weekend ever? (1 Viewer)

it is interesting for SEC crazies.

Loser probably does not have a winning record. And if Vandy loses I imagine it is puts a fat nail (not the final nail) in Derek Mason's Vandy coffin. And the Muschamp era is off to a horrible start if USC loses, this after the fanbase gave such a lukewarm response to his hiring.

As an SEC crazy, I agree. I am in on this game. I think Vandy beats South Carolina. Not sold on Muschamp. Vandy has a decent defense.

Jim, what's ur take on Tennessee playing big game on a Thursday? Is this the year the Bols beat Bama? I sure hope so. I heard a good debate as to whether Butch Jones was on hot seat. One announcer said he was. The other said that was ridiculous.

As an SEC crazy, I agree. I am in on this game. I think Vandy beats South Carolina. Not sold on Muschamp. Vandy has a decent defense.

Jim, what's ur take on Tennessee playing big game on a Thursday? Is this the year the Bols beat Bama? I sure hope so. I heard a good debate as to whether Butch Jones was on hot seat. One announcer said he was. The other said that was ridiculous.

Well if Appy State is a big game for us then God help us. LOL

But I don't like it. I guess it is okay because its the first game of the season and we won't play again for 9 days or whatever, but I don't understand it. But I also don't understand a lot of what is going in college football these days.

All my college buddies like Butch. All my professional friends like him. Most of my family loves him. I just hang out with a few guys at the bar and we like to complain about him. I think he is a mid major coach in over his head.
he has at least provided stability and got our talent level back to the norm. But he has proven to flake out in big games. and I don't think much at all about his offense.

I don't think he is on the hot seat. But our AD will be gone next year (thank god) and he hired Butch, so the next one will hopefully have a short leash.
We have too much talent to lose to Florida again, and quite frankly we have too much talent not to be in Atlanta. But I really doubt we will be in Atlanta, and until I see us beat Florida its hard to truly say it will happen.

Forget beating Bama.

It is indeed the best opening weekend ever as far as I can tell. I know that I'm more excited about this opening weekend than any other before.

This is LSU's year. Attention is going to be intense. We'll win the SEC, Fournette will get the heisman.

Big year.

I wish I had your confidence. I'm not going to believe we have an actual passing attack until I see it. I got burned last year thinking it had improved.

If we come out against Wisconsin with 15 passing attempts, 4 of them long ones, it's gonna be the same old story as last year. We need to be able to execute the short to intermediate passing game, from the beginning of the season. It's not gonna get way way better through the course of the season. There should have been an emphasis on it during the offseason. We'll know pretty quickly, IMO.

I wish I had your confidence. I'm not going to believe we have an actual passing attack until I see it. I got burned last year thinking it had improved.

If we come out against Wisconsin with 15 passing attempts, 4 of them long ones, it's gonna be the same old story as last year. We need to be able to execute the short to intermediate passing game, from the beginning of the season. It's not gonna get way way better through the course of the season. There should have been an emphasis on it during the offseason. We'll know pretty quickly, IMO.

Are you inside my head??? My thoughts exactly. We will know right out of the gate if this team has improved the passing game.

If Dameyune Craig has been working with your qb, I'd put money on him improving. Still a Les Miles offense though.

If Dameyune Craig has been working with your qb, I'd put money on him improving. Still a Les Miles offense though.

Craiig coaches wide receivers.

While I don't think Cameron has done a good job of developing qbs, the real problem has been LSU has missed in recruiting at the most impt position.

It's partly bad luck. No one really knew Dak Prescott would be a star and Jordan Jefferson a bust. LSU sends players to the NFL at every position but qb. Mettenberger had NFL talent. Not coincidentally, the supposedly conservative Miles offense flourished under Mett.

You can improve a qb with coaching some, but if you have the wrong guy you are I trouble. Malzahn is supposedly the offensive genius and qb whisperer. Auburn's qb play was awful last year. All of a sudden folks who thought Malzahn was a genius were now criticizing his offense as being gimmicky.

Did Malzahn get dumb last year? Or was he handcuffed by poor qb play?

Many times last year LSU tried to open up their offense and ended up at third and ten with incomplete passes on the first two downs.

Hopefully Harris is better this year. He was really bad last year on the lay up throws, overthrowing screens, slants and short down and outs. I don't know if it's mechanics or confidence. We will find out soon enough if he improved.

I don't think with Fournette LSU should put the ball up that much more than last year. They just need to be better at it when they do throw.

St dude, I know Craig left initially to be the wr coach, but I'm almost sure I also read he was going to be working with the quartebacks. Dameyune is an excellent qb coach, not much of a wr coach. On the topic of Malzahn, I believe most of last season's blame lies with him. He was touting Johnson as a Heisman candidate before the season started. How could he not recognize his qb's inability to read a defense or handle pressure? Unfortunately, I think he will hamstring White's development and our season won't amount to much. Damn shame, the kid has the "it" factor.

I have a strong feeling that Harris will be much improved. I've been a fan of his for a while and was disappointed in what I saw last year but I didn't get to see much because we ran it so much. I kept waiting for them to let him open up and play QB...

I expect that we'll see a more confident Harris. With that confidence, he'll be more comfortable in what he sees and reads. His completion percentage should improve well above the 54% we saw last year. He really needs to get it to 60 plus % and I think he can. What I think we'll see is less disparity between his bad and good. The margin will narrow. No more games with 30% completion percentage...
If he can throw/run for plus @ 3,000 yards (2700 pass/ 300 rush?) and the obviously incredible rushing attack, we have a championship offense. The tools are literally all in place. Whether or not that manifests itself is another question but the pieces are there.

Heck, I'd even go so far to say that even IF we ran the ball over and over and over and over and over, and Harris ended up with less than what I outlined above, defenses will struggle to contain us this year. Fournette is even better. Guice is even better.

I'm not worried about our defense or special teams.

This is going to be a great year.

:plus-un2:

We were all talking about this just last night.

We are going to Lambeau. If we are sitting there in the Second Quarter, and Harris is 3-10 or 5-13 - but most of the misses are those short/intermediate slants and curls, we are gonna lose it. Because we will know ( just as you stated ) we are about to repeat last year.

Etiling is carrying a back injury. so we will see Harris all game. Im with you...im jaded until i see Harris go 6-8 on those routes we all know he has issues with.

But on the flip side...SO DARN EXCITED TO WATCH THIS DEFENSE.

I have a strong feeling that Harris will be much improved. I've been a fan of his for a while and was disappointed in what I saw last year but I didn't get to see much because we ran it so much. I kept waiting for them to let him open up and play QB...

I expect that we'll see a more confident Harris. With that confidence, he'll be more comfortable in what he sees and reads. His completion percentage should improve well above the 54% we saw last year. He really needs to get it to 60 plus % and I think he can. What I think we'll see is less disparity between his bad and good. The margin will narrow. No more games with 30% completion percentage...
If he can throw/run for plus @ 3,000 yards (2700 pass/ 300 rush?) and the obviously incredible rushing attack, we have a championship offense. The tools are literally all in place. Whether or not that manifests itself is another question but the pieces are there.

Heck, I'd even go so far to say that even IF we ran the ball over and over and over and over and over, and Harris ended up with less than what I outlined above, defenses will struggle to contain us this year. Fournette is even better. Guice is even better.

I'm not worried about our defense or special teams.

This is going to be a great year.

depending on what u had for dinner, could be gas. :hihi:

Brown, i like your enthusiasm. I was you last year. CONVINCED Harris had matured and was going to be an "ok" QB. Even after the 4th game, i was still holding out hope and making excuses for his lack of consistency.

Im to the point now where he will need to prove me wrong over the season. Not one or two games, but all 11 ( or 12 :mwink: )

No more excuses for this kid. the light either went off or there is no power to the bulb.

I also think Vandy wins.

As much as I want to join y'all with optimism, I've seen this movie over and over - Vandy is very good at finding ways to disappoint. But I'm excited for football and I would love a win.

If Vandy wins, it probably means a low-scoring game. 13-12.

It's really all about the short and intermediate routes.

Anybody can throw the deep ball at the college level with the talent LSU has on the outside. Most of those passes are either throw it as far as you can and let Dural/Dupree run under it or jump ball. That's playground football and you can get away with that in 3/4 of LSUs schedule. Against the better teams, that's not gonna work.

The short and intermediate routes are about timing and accuracy and knowing what you are looking at. I think we'll know early. You aren't gonna be able to just turn it on when you get to the Bama game...

depending on what u had for dinner, could be gas. :hihi:

Brown, i like your enthusiasm. I was you last year. CONVINCED Harris had matured and was going to be an "ok" QB. Even after the 4th game, i was still holding out hope and making excuses for his lack of consistency.

Im to the point now where he will need to prove me wrong over the season. Not one or two games, but all 11 ( or 12 :mwink: )

No more excuses for this kid. the light either went off or there is no power to the bulb.

I felt "good" last year but not THIS good. I figured we needed more seasoning in various areas last year. We had some shuffling of the coaching staff... but THIS year, we have the seasoned pieces to the puzzle in line and I like our Def Cord a lot.

I'm not one to expect to win the SEC much less a title every year. I try to temper my expectations as such and keep it real while still supporting the Tigers.

I'm stoked about this weekend overall though. I have visitors in town and we're going to cook a bunch of food, drink and have a great time. I just wish the Tigers were on at night instead of Bama but that's fine. I can ease into the evening knowing that the Tigers have a win under the belt.

I felt "good" last year but not THIS good. I figured we needed more seasoning in various areas last year. We had some shuffling of the coaching staff... but THIS year, we have the seasoned pieces to the puzzle in line and I like our Def Cord a lot.

I'm not one to expect to win the SEC much less a title every year. I try to temper my expectations as such and keep it real while still supporting the Tigers.

I'm stoked about this weekend overall though. I have visitors in town and we're going to cook a bunch of food, drink and have a great time. I just wish the Tigers were on at night instead of Bama but that's fine. I can ease into the evening knowing that the Tigers have a win under the belt.

ok well ill roll with your optimism for now !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom