Best Quarterbacks of all time. (1 Viewer)

All time is too hard to do. To be fair, they should go by decades.

80's - Joe Montana
90's - Steve Young
2000's - Tom Brady
2010's - Drew Brees

I could agree with this. I think when it's all said and done Drew will be one of the greatest if not the greatest of all time. He will surpass Favre' passing record for sure providing he doesn't get injured. I don't think it's quite fair to label a qb as one that has won the most Super Bowls. Thats a team accomplishment not a individual stat.. Just a thought..

Only ranking guys i've seen play

1. Joe Montana, closest we ever got to Jordan's "take an A game to another level championship time/killer instinct" in the NFL

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

3a. Peyton Manning

5. Brett Favre

6. John Elway (this pains me as I never liked Favre and I loved Elway)

7. Steve Young

8. Dan Marino

9. Warren Moon

10. Jim Kelly

with the qbs i have seen play, they all make that list...good job, LSSpam!

here is my ranking of them:

1. Joe Montana

2. Tom Brady

3. Steve Young

4. John Elway

5. Peyton Manning

6. Drew Brees

7. Brett Favre/Randall Cunningham (tie)

8. Dan Marino

9. Warren Moon

10. Jim Kelly

To subjective. To many variables to get a definitive top 10. If you went by championships the yes, Otto Graham. Most accurate would have to be Bree's. Toughest would probably be Farve. Dumbest great QB would be Bradshaw.
It's easy to say MJ was the best basketball player of all time because he brought so much to the table. Not so easy on QBs

I wanted to put Bart Starr on this list, but lets be honest who on that list was he better then? Bart Starr had arguably the best coach of all time, and his over all team was packed with hall of famers. Not discrediting who he was. Surely he would have landed a spot in my top 15.

Joe Montana was obviously more athletic, but Brady has done more then Montana. Yes Montana has one more ring, but Brady has records that level it out. That is why it is hard to put one over the other in my opinion. But either way they have to be both in the top 3.

Obviously I put Brees up there because Im such a homer lol. But on the serious note, Brees is the best pure passer of all time! I put him over Manning because Brees beat Manning in the grand stage. He outperformed him I should say. By the time Brees retires who know where his numbers will be. But if anybody put Manning over Brees I would not complain. They are both great QB's. They are the type of quarterbacks that make their team great. Without them their teams collapse.

I wanted to put Steve Young, but lets look at who his team was. He inherited a dynasty. I would surely have put him in my top 15. In fact he would be number #11. But what people dont seem to remember is that he was not a starter in this league for over 10 years. Actually like 8.

I will not even put Bradshaw on the top 15 because of who his team was. He at times struggled, and was just a game manager. His rings will put him in top 20, but honestly. Was he really a GOAT? I've heard even non-saints fans say Archie would have flourished with their team. That even Archie was the better qb. Tarkenton was the best of the 70s, and next in line is Griese.

I put Elway over Favre because Elway got 5 super bowl appearances, and 2 rings. Plus one was a victory over Favre.

with the qbs i have seen play, they all make that list...good job, LSSpam!

here is my ranking of them:

1. Joe Montana

2. Tom Brady

3. Steve Young

4. John Elway

5. Peyton Manning

6. Drew Brees

7. Brett Favre/Randall Cunningham (tie)

8. Dan Marino

9. Warren Moon

10. Jim Kelly

Big no to Randall cunningham. I can name 10 better QB's from this era that are better then Cunninham. Same goes for Warren Moon, but I would puy him on the top 20.

Just making argument for Bart Starr being in the mix, He does currently have the highest playoff passer rating in NFL history at 104.8. He's head and shoulders above the guys from his era as for as playoff stats go. He did have tons of talent around him and one of the all time great coaches but honestly the same could be said for Montana in all but his first championship season. The 9er's D is underrated and so was their run game.

I don't know where I'd put Starr at on the list. Mixing time periods makes it pretty tough if not impossible for me but I don't think I could slip him below 5.

I wanted to put Bart Starr on this list, but lets be honest who on that list was he better then? Bart Starr had arguably the best coach of all time, and his over all team was packed with hall of famers.

Starr was vastly underrated. They won five titles in seven years.

I think he was probably better than Graham (those AAFC titles don't exactly do it for me, and he played for maybe the greatest coach of all time, and he makes the list and Starr doesn't?).

I also think he compares favorably to Brady. You have to look at the passing numbers in the context of the era....and Starr's post-season numbers, against the best competition, are off the charts.

And you can't tell me it was easy running Vince Lombardi's offense, and he was pretty much the only guy Lombardi never had to give any guff.

My top 10:

Unitas
Montana
Elway
Marino
Manning
Brady
Starr
Graham
Favre
Layne

(No, I didn't see Graham or Layne play, wiseguys.... :hihi:)

It's subjective, based on a weighted mix of winning, stats compared to other of your era, what organization you played for, and how much of an irreplacable original you were. And there's some true originals, and great players, not even making the cut, like Fouts, Tarkenton, Baugh and Namath.

This makes a great bar discussion.

Everyone always forgets Roger Staubach for some reason. He was a pro bowler and mvp many times and a SB MVP.

I would put Staubach, Starr, Bradshaw, and Dawson ahead of Namath. Hell, ALL of the Mannings were better than Namath.

I wanted to put Bart Starr on this list, but lets be honest who on that list was he better then? Bart Starr had arguably the best coach of all time, and his over all team was packed with hall of famers. Not discrediting who he was. Surely he would have landed a spot in my top 15.

No disrespect to Bart Starr, but he would probably not start in today's NFL. Possibly not Unitas or Namath either.

No disrespect to Bart Starr, but he would probably not start in today's NFL. Possibly not Unitas or Namath either.

Based on what?

Dude was 6-1, 200, good arm, smart as hell, complete field general. Best post-season passer rating ever.

Those stats don't project to 2013?

Everyone always forgets Roger Staubach for some reason. He was a pro bowler and mvp many times and a SB MVP.

I would never leave Staubach out. He just isnt one of the top 10. With out a doubt top 20. Only Qb from the 70s that would crack my list is Frankenton. Unitas is more for the 60s, so I cant really count him in the 70s list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom