Best Realistic Scenario on How to Actually Have a 2020 NFL Season - Washington Post (1 Viewer)

Admittedly, my stance goes back and forth though. Some days I'm "any means necessary" to bring sports back, some days I'm like "what's the point if we they have to go to extremist conditions just to make it happen and if one player by chance catches the virus then the whole season gets screwed."

Need to open her back up and quit fearmongering.
What a reputable source. Two doctors from a urgent care place. Not a reputable hospital or health network but an urgent care place.Some of you guys need stop watching a certain news network. When I think of medical experts I always think about urgent care practitioners. Lets all just drink som bleach instead and life can go back to normal.

I know us fans want a 2020 season. Does anybody have any other ideas to actually have a season this year?
They should consider shifting to warmer weather - starting and finishing the season a month earlier. Start the regular games in early August and play the Super Bowl during the first week of January.

Every game will be played in Hawaii, every team will reside there for the entire year. No planes allowed to come or go. Kind of like the total recall movie.

In all seriousness its a fluid situation with things changing everyday, there is really know way to predict what will happen and I don't think the vaccine taking 12-18 months is concrete either. 7 billion people are dealing with this same issue so 3 months from now I expect more hope, or at least a clearer direction.

The most important step is getting almost unlimited testing. Because there's no world in which anyone will accept tons of tests for players if there aren't enough tests for people who at symptomatic.

The next most important step would be having all team personnel agree to quarantining in their own home cities.

With that said, IF that happens, I'm not sure you need the mandatory 14-day quarantine every time teams travel assuming they're quarantined while in their home cities.

Sure, they would need private planes which are 100% sanitized. But having NFL teams travel from city to city is a bit different than having people in the general population who haven't agreed to quarantining fly commercial.

It's doable, as Dr. Fauci said a couple weeks ago. But it requires a ton of cooperation and sacrifice above and beyond the normal from all those involved in the league.

in no way to I want to even hint that I know what's going on with the virus. The small software company I run is 80% hospitals and elderly care facilities. So I have access to a number of senior hospital execs and a few Cheif Medical Officers. Every one of the these senior healthcare leaders say that the virus spread in the US may be 3x to 20x higher than is being reported and it's all because of lack of testing

1) They have less than 10% to 15% of the test the medical community needs.
2) Testing can only be gotten for the really sick. There are some exceptions, but they are few
3) If younger people or even those over 50 who are in excellent shape with no underlying medical conditions appear to have the virus, they are sent home to self quarantine and no tests are given
4) Many people have died in self quarantine who never received tests, so the death rate form the virus is much higher than reported
5) This is too serious a matter to introduce politics, so the best way for me to say this is that the people who run our hospitals and clinics are only getting a fraction of the tests they want. The test numbers are increasing slightly but not near enough to meet demand. There is hope that within 1-2 months, the medical community will have part of the tests they need to get a decent idea of the real penetration and speed of spread of the virus in the US, but still only 20% to 30% of the tests they want to administer
6) The medical community does not have confidence that the current generation of Coronovirus tests are even accurate. This is an unknown

Personally, I want my life back, my friends back, my job engaged again, my golf courses open, my favorite bars open, my grocery stores having shelves actually stocked with needed goods and foods. I don't do boredom well. The only thing that is keeping me from going bat sheet crazy is the result of 7-years of Coach Pete training which I now do 2-3 hours a day with stretch bands, dumbells and my bike. But that's 100% selfish of me.

Spud, I'm with you, let's get tests and equipment to have the tools for the powers to be to even realistically consider what having a 2020 sports season would look like. But even moreso, to protect those incredibly brave frontline workers in healthcare and all the way down to the people keeping our gas stations open.

Normal? What's that - lol?

They should consider shifting to warmer weather - starting and finishing the season a month earlier. Start the regular games in early August and play the Super Bowl during the first week of January.

That's a brilliant idea. Absolutely brilliant. They may need to have the season over by early November, but hats off on a great idea. Thx

in no way to I want to even hint that I know what's going on with the virus. The small software company I run is 80% hospitals and elderly care facilities. So I have access to a number of senior hospital execs and a few Cheif Medical Officers. Every one of the these senior healthcare leaders say that the virus spread in the US may be 3x to 20x higher than is being reported and it's all because of lack of testing

1) They have less than 10% to 15% of the test the medical community needs.
2) Testing can only be gotten for the really sick. There are some exceptions, but they are few
3) If younger people or even those over 50 who are in excellent shape with no underlying medical conditions appear to have the virus, they are sent home to self quarantine and no tests are given
4) Many people have died in self quarantine who never received tests, so the death rate form the virus is much higher than reported
5) This is too serious a matter to introduce politics, so the best way for me to say this is that the people who run our hospitals and clinics are only getting a fraction of the tests they want. The test numbers are increasing slightly but not near enough to meet demand. There is hope that within 1-2 months, the medical community will have part of the tests they need to get a decent idea of the real penetration and speed of spread of the virus in the US, but still only 20% to 30% of the tests they want to administer
6) The medical community does not have confidence that the current generation of Coronovirus tests are even accurate. This is an unknown

Personally, I want my life back, my friends back, my job engaged again, my golf courses open, my favorite bars open, my grocery stores having shelves actually stocked with needed goods and foods. I don't do boredom well. The only thing that is keeping me from going bat shirt crazy is the result of 7-years of Coach Pete training which I now do 2-3 hours a day with stretch bands, dumbells and my bike. But that's 100% selfish of me.

Spud, I'm with you, let's get tests and equipment to have the tools for the powers to be to even realistically consider what having a 2020 sports season would look like. But even moreso, to protect those incredibly brave frontline workers in healthcare and all the way down to the people keeping our gas stations open.

Normal? What's that - lol?

Oh absolutely. They’re nowhere near where they need to be right now with testing to do it.

With that said, the most reliable models have the virus dying out almost completely in about 3 weeks. By June 1, hospital usage bc of COVID is close to zero.

That means the general population will stop needing quite as many tests. Which means that those tests that are produced can be saved.

I’m banking on that plus the improvement of new tests and mass production of testing between now and September to increase, since it’s become clear that testing is the most important element all around.

Just my opinion, of course. But I think we’ll be in a much different place in three-four months than we are now.

That still won’t work. A vaccine will not be ready in time. They need a test with near immediate results. Supposedly they are working on tests where they get results w/in 15 mins. Test everyone associated with the game on gameday. No fans, unfortunately.

You bring up some superb points that caused me to think how the NFL would deal with a team, this is strictly for example, has like 10 starters out with the virus. Do they play that game? Do they call it a tie or cancel the game or.... Thx

Interestingly this came from the Washinton Post because if I was a Redskin fan, I'd probably wish the team didn't play in 2020 - lol.

The recent draft gave us NFL addicts a temporary fix. Many of us temporarily forgot about the tragedy of this Coronovirous outbreak. The draft fueled us with fantasies about our teams going to the playoffs and even the SB this year. The draft was actually like a mask for us disguising the probability of not having a 2020 season if the virus continues anywhere near the recent level.

We all know that the NFL owners will do everything in their power to have a 2020 season. NFL teams generate between $18,000,000 to as much $30,000,000 per home game in ticket sales, concessions, etc. So we darn well know the owners don't want to give up fans in stands for games. They would lose $150 million to $200 million next year with empty seats. And with no games, I'm guessing they lose Billions from the networks (?) - it's a big number. Would they have to pay the players, coaches and staff if they don't play? The owners stand to lose serious money if there is no season this year. And will the players play with the risk of getting the virus and spreading to their families.

This was the best article I've read on having a season and what it would actually look like.

Here's How the NFL Can Have a 2020 Season

I know us fans want a 2020 season. Does anybody have any other ideas to actually have a season this year? And if the 2020 season was played-out like described in this article, would it maintain your interest level close to the level of previous seasons?

btw: No, the NFL will not allow players to IV Lysol - lol.
A few things. If the player does not opt to play, he does not get paid. If the league decides not to play, NO ONE gets paid. (See other current sports).

And to perfectly blunt. Gambling and fantasy football drive the heightened interest in the NFL, compared to all other sports. So at least playing the games, even without fans in the seats, is in the highest interest of the owners and all others with interest in the NFL. Even the others, that do not have a direct connection to a team. Too much money involved directly and indirectly. They will play.

They'll also have to procure the right tests and continue developing new means of testing. I'm sure players won't like the idea of having swabs stuck up their noses on a regular bases as this is the most common test available right now.

If it's the Falcons, I don't think nose swabs should be used. In my mind, the only safe option for the Falcons players is Anal swabs, deeply inserted to ensure accuracy :cool:

You bring up some superb points that caused me to think how the NFL would deal with a team, this is strictly for example, has like 10 starters out with the virus. Do they play that game? Do they call it a tie or cancel the game or.... Thx

It would be crazy, right? They would have to quarantine the players for 14 days on top of that. Seems that’s why they have to isolate them for the season and test like crazy.

I have not seen that the virus will die out in 3 weeks anywhere, that sounds like the unproven "virus will die in warm weather theory". The country is not on an even field due to the differences in when states introduced state-at-home orders. Dr. Birx just suggested that social distancing will be in effect throughout the summer. Until we can figure out how to open schools, I don't see games with fans anytime soon. According to Hopkins, the US is still dealing with a increase in cases.

Oh absolutely. They’re nowhere near where they need to be right now with testing to do it.

With that said, the most reliable models have the virus dying out almost completely in about 3 weeks. By June 1, hospital usage bc of COVID is close to zero.

That means the general population will stop needing quite as many tests. Which means that those tests that are produced can be saved.

I’m banking on that plus the improvement of new tests and mass production of testing between now and September to increase, since it’s become clear that testing is the most important element all around.

Just my opinion, of course. But I think we’ll be in a much different place in three-four months than we are now.

I have not seen that the virus will die out in 3 weeks anywhere, that sounds like the unproven "virus will die in warm weather theory". The country is not on an even field due to the differences in when states introduced state-at-home orders. Dr. Birx just suggested that social distancing will be in effect throughout the summer. Until we can figure out how to open schools, I don't see games with fans anytime soon. According to Hopkins, the US is still dealing with a increase in cases.

It’s in the model I posted, which is the one most people are using. It has nothing to do with warm weather theories, but the drop in cases due to social distancing.

I said “almost completely” because it’s still not zero. But check the model for the hospital resource usage.

My greater point is that, as cases drop exponentially over the next weeks and months while testing production increases, more tests will become available.

it seems foregone that an in stadium (fan) experience if off the board for 2020
i imagine coaches would want contingency plans in place by camp
one thing to consider is that since HS and college games probably won't be happening, pro games have a Fri-Mon window - this would allow for 4 games/week at the same stadium (or maybe even 8 games)
I think you are disregarding the wear & tear on a field. 4 games in a weekend would play hell.

the “warm weather theory” is based on factual evidence of how other strains of CoV react to warm weather. I have links to saved studies to prove it. Now, the understanding of this strain is still taking some time and will take some time before it can be dealt with appropriately.

here’s one link.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/
Here a quote from the study.
“Thus, SARS-CoV-2 belongs to the betaCoVs category. It has round or elliptic and often pleomorphic form, and a diameter of approximately 60–140 nm. Like other CoVs, it is sensitive to ultraviolet rays and heat. Furthermore, these viruses can be effectively inactivated by lipid solvents including ether (75%), ethanol, chlorine-containing disinfectant, peroxyacetic acid and chloroform except for chlorhexidine.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom