Best Realistic Scenario on How to Actually Have a 2020 NFL Season - Washington Post (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Interestingly this came from the Washinton Post because if I was a Redskin fan, I'd probably wish the team didn't play in 2020 - lol.

The recent draft gave us NFL addicts a temporary fix. Many of us temporarily forgot about the tragedy of this Coronovirous outbreak. The draft fueled us with fantasies about our teams going to the playoffs and even the SB this year. The draft was actually like a mask for us disguising the probability of not having a 2020 season if the virus continues anywhere near the recent level.

We all know that the NFL owners will do everything in their power to have a 2020 season. NFL teams generate between $18,000,000 to as much $30,000,000 per home game in ticket sales, concessions, etc. So we darn well know the owners don't want to give up fans in stands for games. They would lose $150 million to $200 million next year with empty seats. And with no games, I'm guessing they lose Billions from the networks (?) - it's a big number. Would they have to pay the players, coaches and staff if they don't play? The owners stand to lose serious money if there is no season this year. And will the players play with the risk of getting the virus and spreading to their families.

This was the best article I've read on having a season and what it would actually look like.

The facts are inescapable. There will be no covid-19 vaccine until fall 2021, at the earliest. Barring unexpected breakthroughs, there will not be an effective preventive treatment or therapy before then, either.

So, from September 2020 through February 2021, we will not be able to safely fill stadiums with tens of thousands of people each week. A handful of asymptomatic carriers among 60,000 cheering fans could easily spread covid-19 to hundreds, even thousands, of others, causing additional outbreaks of the virus and, quite possibly, more death. Indeed, it was a Champions League soccer match with 40,000 fans in Lombardy, Italy, that seems to have ignited the explosion of covid-19 cases that shut the country down. That is not a risk the NFL — or the United States — can afford to take.

Second, to limit any potential spread, the NFL must restrict travel. This would mean centralizing games in one or two locations that have multiple local stadiums. Personnel will have to be quarantined for 14 days prior to the first game, the only travel out of their hotels will be for practice, and those who must leave will have to quarantine for 14 days upon return. These restrictions must last the entire season.

Fourth, all players, coaches, training staff, broadcasters and technicians will have to wear masks and gloves, including on game day. Because football is a close contact sport, this is the only way to significantly reduce the chance of the virus spreading between players.

Here's How the NFL Can Have a 2020 Season

I know us fans want a 2020 season. Does anybody have any other ideas to actually have a season this year? And if the 2020 season was played-out like described in this article, would it maintain your interest level close to the level of previous seasons?

btw: No, the NFL will not allow players to IV Lysol - lol.

what happened with everyone's avatars?
This. It looks like a lot of people have a default one now.
Logistically, I just don't see how this happens considering we're 4 months from preseason.

it seems foregone that an in stadium (fan) experience if off the board for 2020
i imagine coaches would want contingency plans in place by camp
one thing to consider is that since HS and college games probably won't be happening, pro games have a Fri-Mon window - this would allow for 4 games/week at the same stadium (or maybe even 8 games)

So what's a decent proposal? 8 games? Four division, four non-division? Where could this central location be? Texas?

With this idea possible we could have every game Nationally Televised, Thurday thru Sunday having one game a day at the 4 locations for the 8 teams/per location... then end up playing at these locations for 4 to 6 weeks after that have no idea how they would rotate teams between locations and would assume a quarantine before arriving at the new locations

I think that may be the best solution just because the League has already done that.

That still won’t work. A vaccine will not be ready in time. They need a test with near immediate results. Supposedly they are working on tests where they get results w/in 15 mins. Test everyone associated with the game on gameday. No fans, unfortunately.

Herd immunity. Protect anyone from it with underlying conditions or of old age.

The death rate would be considerably less than 0.1% for the remainder of US citizens (which is the approximate death rate of the standard flu).

1 million reportedly infected, 50K deaths.

We are more likely at 20 million infected and 45K of that 50K are people in that vulnerable group I mentioned.

So 5K deaths for possibly 20 million infected for otherwise healthy people. About 1/4 of 1/10th of a percent.

Going overboard and sending us into a 1930s style depression makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. You want to talk about never returning back to normal. Wait until you are stuck in a bread line that stretches for several city blocks. You certainly won't be wondering what your favorite football team's next move is.

Last edited:

Need to open her back up and quit fearmongering.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom