Best Saints Kick/Punt Returner? (1 Viewer)

The thing holding reggie back is all those returns he had where he ran 60 yards for a 6 yard gain. Not north to south guy at all

Reggie always seemed like he was just one more juke for taking it 50 yards

Will Deonte be the primary returner this year or be full time WR?

Tyrone Hughes always stood out as a kick returner for me. He was absolutely electrifying, and there was always a feeling he might break one. That said, Mel Gray was before my time. I more remember him as the Lions' return man in Tecmo Super Bowl on NES. Ours was Gill Fenerty, of course.

For punt returns, Reggie Bush was my guy. A home run was always possible with him fielding punts.

I think it’s Harris. Small sample size but never been more excited to see him have room. Beerman is #2.

I liked Howard Stevens as a running back, too.
I was a kid when they traded him to the Colts. I remember writing Bum Phillips a nasty letter and copying Hap Glaudi. Hap read it on "Sports Talk".

Best ever? Without looking at stats, Tyronne Hughes was incredible. Maybe I favor him because he was the first of the Hughes/Gray/Beerman group.

1) tie -- Mel Gray/Beerman
2) tie -- Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush
3) Ty Hughes
Hon. mention: Lance Moore
Ty Hughes was unreal when he was here, he was on some bad teams though. I would say he was the best with Bush, Sproles, Lewis, and Gray a close second. Lewis has some fumbling issues early in his career and always made me nervous. Gray was in an era were games were not televised so its hard to get a feel for him. I remember Hughes and there were games were he looked like superman. I am hoping Harris takes the #1 on the list, the past couple years he looks the part.

A toss up between Roby and Beerman. The only two that created excitement for me. Bush and Sproles just generated nervousness from me. I always wondered if they were going to fumble or muff the punt.

Mel Gray was special at a time when kick returning was a lot less “regulated”. So you really needed good straight ahead speed and the ability to hit the hole that the wedge opened up.

Somewhat similar for Hughes. He seemed to have a knack for finding a crease and shooting through.

Lewis was in the more “modern” mold - small, shifty and elusive. Lewis was special to watch and a legit threat to take it to the house every time he touched it. Harty is similar.

Lewis is my favorite because he brought a dynamic to the team that we hadn’t seen. He was incredibly exciting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom