Best Saints Team Ever (1 Viewer)

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hear me out. I think this is the best Saints team we have seen. I am usually more of a fly by poster, so bare with me as I am out of my element here.

Owner:

Gayle Benson. While Tom Benson will always hold a place in my heart...he was the man behind the curtain who really turned things around and brought us out of the gutter. That said, since his passing can you imagine Gayle Benson being any better than she has been? I can't. This woman is amazing. It all starts up top for the Saints. She has proven to be a leader with upstanding morale character and commands respect. She certainly has mine.

Coaches:

I feel like every game we enter we have a distinct coaching advantage. Coach Payton is elevating his game and his creativity after all these years is just becoming more impressive. He is a better coach today than when we won the Superbowl. He has mastered game management. Dennis Allen is the best Coordinator/game time adjustments coach we have ever had to my memory. He plays a nice blend of coverage and blitz, seems to keep offenses off balance...and well I just don't yell at him for plays like I have in the past LOL. Darren Rizzi and crew seem to field the best Special Teams unit every week. I am coming to expect big returns, smothering coverage and blocked punts.

GMs/Front Office:

Maybe this is mostly a nod to Jeff Ireland, but holy crap have Loomis and co put together a special group of players. No terrible contracts, outstanding contributions from deep down the depth chart. Give credit where credit is due. Our scouting is really strong right now and it shows.

Offense:

We have probably the three best QBs in the division on our team. Brees is obviously a tremendous talent and person. I think Bridgewater is similar to Brees in terms of outstanding character. Hill, the same. What an amazing group.

I think our backfield is absolute fire. Kamara is a great player and awesome guy. Super unique skillset and style. Latavius showed us yesterday he could put the team on his back when his number is called. I love both of their running styles and they are both wildly impressive.

We have the best WR in the league in my opinion and I say that with more than stats to back up my stance. Mike Thomas' work ethic is infectious, and he has rubbed off on this team in a good way. He plays with the type of will and determination you dream you would if you had just one day to play in the NFL for the Saints. Behind him are team-oriented guys who come in and make big plays when you least expect.

Our starting 5 O-line is dominant and chock full of talent. Rare to find a team who can be dominant in both run and pass blocking. I think all 5 players should make the Probowl this season.

Defense:

We have what I feel is the most talented defensive line in football. Starting 4, all first rounders and they play like it. No one can block these guys on run or pass downs. They all can command double teams and they are a huge reason for our success.

I think we have the best middle LBer in the game right now in Demario Davis. I LOVE watching this guy play, he does everything well. It helps that he shines off the field in his leadership. Who knew how good of an addition he would be when we brought him in a couple years back. Wow. Our entire LBing corp is strong, and when is the last time you could say that?

Our Ohio State defensive backfield is really an incredible unit. My favorite thing about them never gets mentioned on the national columns but these guys hit HARD and tackle STRONG. They seem to really enjoy playing together, and that is a theme for the whole team, but this group really seems tight. I think Lattimore is probably the best all around Corner in the game today. I think our starters of Lattimore, Apple, Bell and Williams comprise the best starting 4 in the league. Throw in PJ and CGJ at nickel, and you have the best starting 5/6. No wink links.

Special Teams:

Even our special teams is arguably the best. Name a better punter/kicker combo than Moorestead and Lutz. I'll wait. You can't. They are elite. The young man returning kicks, Harris, has all the potential to be the best in the league and has already wowed several times. The coverage unit (minus the one play) have been smothering.

This team has legit STUDs at every level. Guys who you can argue are the best at their position in the league today. Brees, Kamara, Mike Thomas, entire O-Line, Jordan/Rankins, Davis, Lattimore, Lutz, Moorestead...truly incredible how good this team is.

Someone tell me a reason to think this is not the Greatest Saints team I have ever witnessed? Because I cannot think of one that was anywhere near this strong, top to bottom.

Last edited:
I think it might be the deepest Saints team ever, no question. It's really hard to top that 2011 team for overall greatness.

It’s a great discussion.

That 2011 offense was ridiculous. One of the best in NFL history.

Still, I think that team taught Payton a lesson wrt the importance of complementary football. And to the OP’s point, I think this coaching staff may give this team an extra bump. What guys like Glenn, Nielsen, Nolan and Roushar have done can’t be overstated.

I think a case can be made for ‘09, ‘11, ‘18 and this year if we finish with a top 2 seed. I’ll still go with ‘09 until/unless we win the big one this year.

Too early to say but they have a chance. If the defense keeps this up, and Drew gets the offense to even top 10, then they will have a great case. A Super Bowl ring makes everything better. The '18 team had a great argument too and still does, the refs robbed them of a ring.

A better discussion however is how this is likely the greatest Saints era ever. From '17 to now it's been really, really good. We're just missing a Super Bowl ring. One championship will confirm it. Cherish these times, because eras can end really fast (unless you're NE).

Tremendous point on the no bad contracts.
Never thought about that but the saints don’t have a single contract on the entire team that’s bad.

Cant name one .

Not a single player on the team is getting paid more then his production on the field .

No more J Byrds, C Fleeners, Junior Gillette's etc..

PUMP THE BRAKES FOLKS....

Yikes....some of you are hilarious that you put ANY Saints team above 2009..

2011...blah blah blah...You know what I remember about 2011? ...Mark Ingram not being able to get 1 yard....that was the story of the season to me...2011 was all FLASH....NO GRIT

In 2009 season we won the Superbowl for crying out loud...

Let the 2019 season play out...we were JUST 1 Eli Apple Injury away from a HUGE problem...

GET A GRIP...Lots Can & Will Happen to even the playing field as time passes...

Tremendous point on the no bad contracts.
Never thought about that but the saints don’t have a single contract on the entire team that’s bad.

Cant name one .

Not a single player on the team is getting paid more then his production on the field .

No more J Byrds, C Fleeners, Junior Gillette's etc..

Amazing to consider how those bad contracts plus the Bountygate punishments really hurt this team when it came to depth.

PUMP THE BRAKES FOLKS....

Yikes....some of you are hilarious that you put ANY Saints team above 2009..

2011...blah blah blah...You know what I remember about 2011? ...Mark Ingram not being able to get 1 yard....that was the story of the season to me...2011 was all FLASH....NO GRIT

In 2009 season we won the Superbowl for crying out loud...

Let the 2019 season play out...we were JUST 1 Eli Apple Injury away from a HUGE problem...

GET A GRIP...Lots Can & Will Happen to even the playing field as time passes...

The 2009 team was great but not nearly as balanced. That defense was fun to watch but also a lot of smoke and mirrors. Mostly Darren Sharper's ball hawking and Gregg Williams' exotic and ultra-aggressive blitzing...but we were giving up yards, first downs and time of possession way more than this current group. I trust this current defense WAY more than that 2009 team.

Absolutely better than 2011, that offense was the real Greatest Show on turf but we had no defense.
2009, I don’t know. Probably up till now 2019 is better, particularly for a defense that can be dominant (we’re about top-3 right know), and an offense that can put up 34 points without Brees, Kamara, Cook and Smith. Our offense is Thomas, a bit of Ginn, Murray, and the rest is a group effort. And still we can be 26 up with 5 minutes to play.

I put the 2018 saints above the 2011 saints now as they got to the NFC championship.

2009 will be the best team because they actually won the superbowl. If this 2019 team wins the superbowl, depending on how the rest of the season goes, I could see this becoming the best saints team to ever play.

2011 was a great offense but lacked defense. 2009 had good defensive plays but that defense couldnt touch the defense we have now.

I think they may be when everyone is healthy. Two things you had in 09 were more weapons in the passing game, many more. And also the defense was more opportunistic. But the way this D shuts down the run game and gets after the QB, I’ll tale these guys over the ballhawks we had back then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom